MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Morris Motors
patpending
Windy
littlechicken
8 posters

MG5 Fastback

littlechicken
    littlechicken

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2010-12-21

MG5 Fastback Empty MG5 Fastback

Post by littlechicken Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:08 am

MG5 Fastback to launched in China in 2015 http://www.carnewschina.com/2014/01/02/spy-shots-mg5-fastback-testing-in-china/

This may be why the 5 is being delayed in the UK . I wonder if this is in addition to the MG5 Magnette
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

MG5 Fastback Empty Re: MG5 Fastback

Post by Windy Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:45 am

littlechicken wrote:This may be why the 5 is being delayed in the UK.
    I suspect that this may be a development primarily for Europe in the same way that the MG6 fastback was, gives them a way to enter the European medium sized family car market without having to directly take on the Ford Focus and all the other very competitive competition. Haven't heard about the Magnette for a while, maybe it was decided that it was not enough to taken as a serious Focus competitor by the UK press.
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:07 am

as reposted in CCT:

MG5 Fastback 2014-MG5-Sedan2
    Morris Motors

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

Post by Morris Motors Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:13 am

Where is the development work being done on this? If rumours are correct, the fact that the 5 was developed away from Longbridge was the reason for it's lacklustre performance. If this fastback was for the Euro market, the work ought to be being supervised by the UK?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:39 am

Morris Motors wrote:Where is the development work being done on this? If rumours are correct, the fact that the 5 was developed away from Longbridge was the reason for it's lacklustre performance. If this fastback was for the Euro market, the work ought to be being supervised by the UK?
    According to the SMTC website, the original design of the 350 AP platform was done at Longbridge, it was most of the engineering work that was done in Korea and then China but presumably still with Longbridge input, I'm not sure that is a lot different to the MG3 where the design was done in Longbridge and then a lot of the engineering testing and production work was done in China.

I'm sure Longbridge have been involved with this but if the first samples are leaving the production lines and being photo'd then most work will now be taking place in China, presumably Nanjing at the moment since the 350 and MG5 are built in Nanjing.
    snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

Post by snifferdog1 Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:14 am

Windy wrote:
    Morris Motors wrote:Where is the development work being done on this? If rumours are correct, the fact that the 5 was developed away from Longbridge was the reason for it's lacklustre performance. If this fastback was for the Euro market, the work ought to be being supervised by the UK?
    According to the SMTC website, the original design of the 350 AP platform was done at Longbridge, it was most of the engineering work that was done in Korea and then China but presumably still with Longbridge input, I'm not sure that is a lot different to the MG3 where the design was done in Longbridge and then a lot of the engineering testing and production work was done in China.

I'm sure Longbridge have been involved with this but if the first samples are leaving the production lines and being photo'd then most work will now be taking place in China, presumably Nanjing at the moment since the 350 and MG5 are built in Nanjing.

So Longbridge design the chassis and then China/Korea 'tune' it?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:29 am

snifferdog1 wrote:So Longbridge design the chassis and then China/Korea 'tune' it?
    I think it is more along the lines of Longbridge sit at their computers and produce drawings, China turns it into reality which of course most of the time is a little more complex than just printing it out on a 3D printer.
    littlechicken
    littlechicken

Post by littlechicken Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:38 am

littlechicken
    littlechicken

Post by littlechicken Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:40 am

Jobbybob
    Jobbybob

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2013-12-24

Post by Jobbybob Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:13 am

Wow! I really like that. If that came here with the new 2.0 Turbo I'd definitely buy one.

It says on that article that the MG5 has been out since March 2012, but it doesn't seem to be on offer in the UK yet. Why? Are we not getting it?
    snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

Post by snifferdog1 Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:17 am

It's been put 'on hold' for the UK market.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:03 am

Jobbybob wrote:Wow! I really like that. If that came here with the new 2.0 Turbo I'd definitely buy one.
    It will be getting the 1.5 Turbo, although since it's platform was used as the basis for the MG CS and that is getting the 200+bhp engine, maybe there is a chance if they sell well...

MG5 Fastback D03cc4e65b88f24f5535838ba94a54a7

MG5 Fastback 7a2f7c9a62c11af3f21c4501456f5088

MG5 Fastback 72d92a0b245d9c2d3defb75a1ccc9a03

MG5 Fastback 5455b8cfd4d3863c614aafbb62483c52

Recently, a group of national media exposure MG5 sedan version of the latest road test spy photos, the new car is expected to be officially released during the Beijing auto show. Exposure SAIC MG5 sedan road test spy Beijing Motor Show SAIC Roewe 350 and MG5 shared a platform with the MG5 hatchback model is different, sedan models with a new design, more young and fashionable.

From the road test spy photos, C pillar part MG5 fastback sedan uses similar design and add a small window, rear window design also adopted a new style. Exposure SAIC MG5 sedan road test spy Beijing Motor Show In addition, from the spy photos we can see, MG5 sedan facelift will use the latest version of the model of the latest MG5 hatchback front face style, using style round fog lamps and lower grille with honeycomb design. Tail design is a sedan version of the highlights of increase after the back box design, making it more dynamic, taillights are also redesigned, too few mellow compared to the hatchback version of the model, but added some sharp movement. It is understood that the sedan version of the hatchback version of the same wheel specifications, uses 205/55 R16 size 16-inch alloy wheels. Exposure SAIC MG5 sedan road test spy Beijing Motor Show Inside, the new car compared with no significant change MG5 hatchback models, the center console has been partially modified, using hexagonal design, keyhole position to the right of the steering column, while the air conditioning control buttons have also been adjusted and increased modeling two silver trim. Rear legroom is also the hatchback version of the same, slightly raised central floor. It is understood that the sedan version of the high-equipped models will adopt a new iVoka intelligent multimedia interactive system. Exposure SAIC MG5 sedan road test spy Beijing Motor Show

Dynamic aspects, MG5 sedan hatchback models will continue to use current and 1.5T 1.5L engine models. 1.5L engine maximum power of 80 kW and maximum torque of 135 Nm; 1.5T engine's maximum power is 95 kW, maximum torque is 210 Nm. Transmission parts, and engine matched to a five-speed manual and six-speed manual gearbox.
    Source: http://www.kaixian.tv/gd/2014/0113/896878.html
    Jobbybob
    Jobbybob

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2013-12-24

Post by Jobbybob Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:31 pm

snifferdog1 wrote:It's been put 'on hold' for the UK market.

That seems odd to me. I mean, surely they would want the product on sale at its freshest? Is it because they are wanting to see how the 3 does before bringing in another product?

Windy wrote:
    It will be getting the 1.5 Turbo, although since it's platform was used as the basis for the MG CS and that is getting the 200+bhp engine, maybe there is a chance if they sell well...

Good to know. I always like to have a powerful car. My last two MGs were a V6 powered ZS and a ZT and even my Jetta has the Turbo Petrol engine from the Golf GTI. I don't really do slow cars! So whilst the 1.5 I am sure will be perfectly good, it's not for me. I am keen to see what the new MG can do in terms of a performance model to replace the Volkswagen. It's been a good car and I'd definitely consider another Volkswagen product but they're not a patch on any of the MGs I had. Too conservative, nicely made but lacking that little bit of spark.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:09 am

Jobbybob wrote:
    snifferdog1 wrote:It's been put 'on hold' for the UK market.

That seems odd to me. I mean, surely they would want the product on sale at its freshest? Is it because they are wanting to see how the 3 does before bringing in another product?
    While it may seem odd, we do not know why the decision was made.   I can see that each MG CS they sell is likely to make a lot more profit than each MG5 hatchback so the decision to bring us the MG CS first may have been a sensible one, but maybe the real reason was that too many people "complained" about the rear end of the MG5 hatch and so they decided to put a fastback rear end on for the UK market, thus when it arrives it may well be "at its freshest" or not far from it.  In addition, like the MG6 and MG3, they will have tested the mechanicals etc. very thoroughly by the time it arrives in the UK and will have had time to do a decent job of the suspension tuning.

Yes, I'm sure they wanted to see how the MG3 sells before committing to a medium sized car which due to the market they will inevitably have to sell in large numbers before it will be profitable.  

There is also an issue with the engines, the MG3's 1.5 non-turbo must be a little on the small side for an MG the size of the MG5, maybe they decided that they needed to wait for the more powerful small engines to arrive before launch in the UK.

There were probably many other reasons too.

Time will tell...

Together with the 350 which shares the platform and production lines, they have sold 311,848 of them so far just in China with many more exported, maybe they had to expand the factory a little before adding to the demand?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:46 am

MG5 sedan spy photos exposed will debut in April

MG5 Fastback 20140126035436616

MG5 Fastback 20140126035437735

MG5 Fastback 20140126035437181

MG5 Fastback 20140126035438944

Despite roewe 350 from the same platform, but attribution MG (micro-blogging) MG5 brand on the market performance was far, and judging from the entry-level compact car market as a whole, is clearly a more conventional three-box models are favored by consumers, so that only the hatchback version of MG5 is at a disadvantage. SAIC has also been aware of it, so we will soon usher in a sedan version of MG5, recently, the spy photos of the new car has been exposed, it will be officially unveiled at the international motor show is expected in 2014, Beijing.

MG5 sedan version remains on the hatchback models v-shaped elongated Central intake grille and headlamps combining with sharp flying wing-like front, but the details have changed. Original cellular structure of central air intake grid Grill was replacement for straight waterfall type, Visual Shang brings some new; big light used is rare of three barrels type model, all light group bare out, style is radical, may to was public consumers by accept, but to this without worry, this just road try vehicles Shang of works sample pieces, and of while exposure of other a test car on equipped with has with Lampshade of traditional style big light, future volume produced version eventually state clearly will to which for must; Qian fog light also by currently quadrangle to size smaller of round, On the two road test, but only see fog lights installed, and found no fog lights. It is learnt that after facelift hatchback version will adopt this new front styling.

Due to changes in car, MG5 after three version of the b-pillar of the car's body was completely redesigned. From a new profile can be seen SAIC design techniques are very mature, both roof and the waist line of transition are very natural, with no trace of harshness. A small triangle window was cleverly designed by the c-pillar, so that it looks more "Fastback" styling slipped back, very dynamic.

Tail is a completely new style, clean lines and bright but mellow so neatly, without losing dynamism. Carefully designed around taillights adopts unusual drive-in, similar to the modern statue of Jacob, in fact this style in many 90 or earlier models are very popular, such as the Buick Century, Toyota Camry, has adopted. With the same headlamp, tail lights are also exposed three-barrel project samples, will be replaced by conventional styling with a Lampshade.

Dynamic if no accident, MG5 sedan version will follow the current engine, code-named 15S4U 1.5L naturally-aspirated gasoline engine maximum power 80kw/6000rpm, maximum torque 135N.m/4500rpm, matches with a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission; codenamed 15S4G 1.5T turbo engine maximum power 95kw/5500rpm, maximum torque of 210N.m/2000-4400rpm, A 6-speed manual or 6-speed hand from a submerged transmission.
    Source: http://www.scxxb.com.cn/html/2014/qcsd_0126/31792.html
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:07 am

So this is a sedan and not a 'fastback' - which I took to meaning a hatch like the MG6 GT? This is the MG5 Magnette really. As such, it's not really what the European market is looking for is it?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:05 am

Morris Motors wrote:So this is a sedan and not a 'fastback' - which I took to meaning a hatch like the MG6 GT? This is the MG5 Magnette really. As such, it's not really what the European market is looking for is it?
    Post #1 called it a fastback sedan (three box fastback), it appears to be the result of poor MG5 hatch sales in China, China likes to have a boot as proved by the high sales of the R350.

Presumably Europe will get an updated hatch version after the CS arrives here.
    littlechicken
    littlechicken

Post by littlechicken Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:17 am

The back end of picture number 2 looks to have a different shape window to picture 3
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:07 am

littlechicken wrote:The back end of picture number 2 looks to have a different shape window to picture 3
    I did wonder if that is a wiper under the cover in number 2 indicating a hatch but I suspect they have just added a layer of foam to assist in the disguise and it is in fact the same as No. 3...
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:12 am

I would say not. It does look like a 'GT' AND a 'Magnette'. If that's just a wodge of foam, it's got a badge on it!

Also the rear pillars - one pair is covered in black cut outs and the other isn't - but the white ones seem to have a steeper drop on the pillar and rear window, leading to a flat deck about a foot or so deep. The other car has a rear window that seems to extend almost to the very rear edge of the car.

2nd is a GT, 3rd is a sedan.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:25 am

Morris Motors wrote:...leading to a flat deck about a foot or so deep. The other car has a rear window that seems to extend almost to the very rear edge of the car.

2nd is a GT, 3rd is a sedan.
    But the boot isn't flat, it extends the aerodynamic slope of the window:

MG5 Fastback 7a2f7c9a62c11af3f21c4501456f5088

Competition: guess the drag coefficient  Dangling Carrot

I'm not impressed by the diffuser - 0.28
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:36 am

I'm still not sure - the car in the black shroud has glass that extends almost to the back whereas the other seems to have more of a bootlid (whether it is flat or angled). Basically I think the black shroud only covers the metalwork which seems to be like the 6GT.

The car in the pic above seems to have had the boot opened after being covered in snow - the metalwork seems a lot deeper and, crucially, the snow on the rear window isn't disturbed along any shutlines along the pillars.

I might be reading too much into it, but if you flipped one image so they both point the same way...?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:18 am

Morris Motors wrote:I might be reading too much into it, but if you flipped one image so they both point the same way...?
    I just tried that to compare No. 2 and the one I just posted and it does make it easier to compare.  Assuming that the black cover in No. 2 is not covering any glass then I reckon there is the same amount of metalwork, there is definitely something under the black cover which makes it a little difficult to judge the shape.  

It is No. 3 that doesn't seem to fit to me, appears to have a different slope to the boot but I think that is due to the camouflage hiding the curve and the snow doesn't help.
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:06 am

It does look like a rear window wiper under that black shroud, like a hatchback. However, the rear wiper on the MG5 and MG6 rest on the right hand side - this (whatever it is) is resting on the left.
    simcor

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2011-05-28

Post by simcor Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:22 pm

Morris Motors wrote:It does look like a rear window wiper under that black shroud, like a hatchback. However, the rear wiper on the MG5 and MG6 rest on the right hand side - this (whatever it is) is resting on the left.

I have to agree, of the pictures we have seen they do look totally different, along the lines of a saloon coupe and a fastback variant. Not even camo can make a saloon look like a fastback. In pictures 2 and 3 the roof lines are remarkably different to me indicating two body styles.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:44 am

Now that is a very different engine, with an air intake that appears to go all the way around the engine!

MG5 Fastback 620x0_1_2014021117561730481
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:46 am

And someone left the rear lights uncovered, or is that a disguise?

MG5 Fastback 620x0_1_2014021117561498040

MG5 Fastback 620x0_1_2014021117561301480
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:45 am

A very BMW-esque bootlid and quite distinctive lights. I'd say they are the production ones; too complex for dummies. If you look at where the bulbs etc are, these line up with the round lenses in the spy shot of the shrouded car.

It's a neat look and mirrors the wrap-around style of the grille/headlamp arrangement.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:23 am

What about the engine?

It doesn't appear to be a Kavachi, NSE, SGE, NLE or even diesel confused 

The dip stick is in the wrong place for all of those... although it is not too far off an SGE...   I think it must be an SGE engine... It certainly doesn't fill the engine bay!
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:36 pm

ah well, unless it's an A-series I am a bit lost...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 am