MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

MG BTCC 2012

Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

MG BTCC 2012 Empty MG BTCC 2012

Post by Windy Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:17 am

Motorsport News is saying that MG is about to announce a 3 year factory backed program to be on the grid at the start of the 2012 British Touring Car Championship.

They have a picture of a standard MG6, but say that there are no details yet - keep listening...

I guess this may tie up nicely with the launch of the UK MG3.

Last edited by Windy on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
    MartinZT
    MartinZT

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2009-11-17

MG BTCC 2012 Empty Re: MG BTCC 2012

Post by MartinZT Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:42 pm

I have heard similar rumours from someone involved in motorsport and an MG follower/writer. His comment was that if it is going to happen an announcement will probably be around the time of the Autosport show in January. The question is, is the MG6 the car that will be used? Seems a bit heavy for the job? Also, what engines? Will it be the standard formula engine?
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:53 am

Windy wrote:Motorsport News is saying that MG is about to announce a 3 year factory backed program to be on the grid at the start of the 2012 British Touring Car Championship.

They have a picture of a standard MG6, but say that there are no details yet - keep listening...

I guess this may tie up nicely with the launch of the UK MG3.

2012 is only weeks away, and I don't expect to see an MG3 for most of it. What size are the other cars nowadays? I think of Volvo S40s and Audi A4s, smaller than the MG6 but much bigger than the MG3...
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:19 am

MartinZT wrote:I have heard similar rumours from someone involved in motorsport and an MG follower/writer. His comment was that if it is going to happen an announcement will probably be around the time of the Autosport show in January. The question is, is the MG6 the car that will be used? Seems a bit heavy for the job? Also, what engines? Will it be the standard formula engine?
    If it makes it for 2012 then it has to be the MG6. I'm not sure that the weight is a big issue since under the new rules the cars share so many components for cost saving reasons that they there is not much of the original road car left in an NGTC BTCC car. It probably makes sense to use the standard engine so that they can compete on the same level as the other NGTC cars and with similar reliability but if they want to win and are prepared to take the risk of lots of teething problems then the new SAIC 2.0 direct injection Turbo NLE might be the choice, if it goes on sale in time! I don't think a K series could be competetive with the current rules.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:26 pm

The website is on its way:

http://www.mgbtcc.com/

(Currently an advert for DCH - the people who produced the main www.mg.co.uk

http://blog.dch.co.uk/blog.aspx?category=client-MG )

Rumour suggests Jason Plato will be driving one of the cars which after last year must guarantee them winning the championship!
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:23 am

Here is confirmation from MG Motor. Jason Plato is a big name driver.

http://www.mg.co.uk/motorsport/mg-kx-momentum.aspx

and here:

http://3d-car-shows.com/2012/mg-motor-uk-enters-2012-btcc-with-mg6-dream-team/

MG BTCC 2012 Jason_Plato_and_Andy_Neate-634x488

I notice the "KX" is an energy drink.

Here's an artist's impression:

MG BTCC 2012 MG6_GT-634x336

Two MG6 GT cars will run in the all-new MG KX Momentum Racing team piloted by double BTCC champion Jason Plato and BTCC rising star Andy Neate.

The cars will be prepared by Triple Eight Race Engineering, one of the most successful constructors in touring car racing. And completing the ‘dream team’ are principal sponsors Tesco Fuels with their Momentum 99 brand and KX energy drink completing an all-British line-up.

MG KX Momentum Racing will debut at Brands Hatch on April 1 when the 2012 Dunlop MSA BTCC championship season gets under way.

The MG6 GT five-door fastback is the first all-new MG in 16 years. It is designed and engineered at MG Motor UK’s plant in Birmingham where final assembly also takes place.

Jason Plato is the most successful driver in BTCC racing history with 68 career wins, with more fastest laps, pole and podium positions than any other driver in the history of the Series. He is undoubtedly the face of British Touring Cars as well as being a well-known and respected TV presenter and newly appointed Director of the British Racing Drivers Club.

Plato said: “It’s really exciting to be involved in a brand-new all-British team and it’s just brilliant that the iconic name of MG will be back on the track.”

Guy Jones, MG Motor’s Sales & Marketing Director, said: “We are delighted that the new MG6 will be seen by millions of fans in Britain and beyond and this continues the famous sporting lineage of the brand.”

Triple Eight, headed by Ian Harrison, is based at Greatworth, just a few miles from the famous Silverstone race circuit. The company has more than 100 BTCC race wins to its credit.

Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:04 am

patpending wrote:I notice the "KX" is an energy drink.
    A bit like Red Bull then ... is it as successfull?

I see my link www.mgbtcc.com works this morning cheers
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:16 am

So is the new "MG supplied 2 Litre fly by wire turbo engine" the New Large Engine NLE that we have been waiting for?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:43 am

I see that the BTCC related email sent out by MG this morning says that both the MG3 and MG5 are "Comming soon!" so I guess the plans are now definite even if the dates are still a bit vague.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:50 am

THE SUN and Jason Plato are aiming to rock British motorsport with a mega new project.

SunSport columnist Plato will contest this year's British Touring Car Championship in a works MG – bringing the iconic Midlands brand back into top-level motor racing.

The bold move will also give MG's Chinese owners their first taste of racing in the UK's premier series.

Two-time BTCC champ Plato will fly Sun colours on an MG6 Fastback prepared by the team boasting the most wins in the history of the series, Triple Eight Race Engineering.

He has landed a three-year deal – backed by store giants Tesco through their Momentum 99 fuel and KX energy drink brands – that has lured him away from his successful partnership with the RML Chevrolet team.

Plato said: "This is one of the best opportunities that has come my way in the whole of my career.

"It's incredibly exciting to be with a new British team, with the cars designed and built in Birmingham.

"It's a rebirth of the famous MG brand and Triple Eight are without doubt the BTCC's most successful team.

"It's amazing to be in the embryonic stages of a programme like this – and that's when I'm at my best.

"If I can have an input from the start, not just in terms of developing the race car but in everything that surrounds it, that will be great.

"I believe this project is great news not just for me, but for British motor racing and all the many fans of MG."

Plato, the BTCC's most successful driver ever with 68 wins, has no doubt the MG will give him the chance of a third title.

He said: "Every year when I arrive at the first race I believe I am going to win. And things are no different this time."

Triple Eight chief Ian Harrison said the "base platform" of the MG6 looks good in terms of body shell and aerodynamics.

He admitted the team "has a mountain to climb" to prepare Plato's car for the first race of the season on April 1.

But he added: "If it was easy everyone would be doing it. We've just got to knuckle down."

MG, a subsidiary of China's Shanghai Automotive car company, have hailed their partnership with Plato, The Sun, Triple Eight and Tesco as a "dream team".

Marketing director Guy Jones said: "We are delighted the new MG6 will be seen by millions of fans in Britain and beyond. This continues our famous sporting lineage."

Plato, who will have improving BTCC regular Andy Neate as a team-mate, is embarking on his fourth year as a SunSport columnist.

And The Sun's Online Sports Editor Jim Munro said: "This looks like it will be the most exciting yet. Bring it on!"

Source: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/motorsport/4082369/The-Sun-teams-up-with-Jason-Plato-and-MG-for-BTCC.html
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:04 am

Video of interview with Jason Plato, Andy Neate, Ian Harrison from Triple 8 Racing, and Guy Jones.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJSEmEJvrAs
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:24 am

patpending wrote:Video of interview with Jason Plato, Andy Neate, Ian Harrison from Triple 8 Racing, and Guy Jones.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJSEmEJvrAs
    There is a second video there too with just the drivers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbV97O461lk

Nice to see everyone in that video was British, these days when British companies like Mini, Rolls-Royce and Land Rover make an announcement it always seems to be a German than makes it! Not the case with MG though.
    Tickford

Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2009-11-22

Post by Tickford Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:33 pm

The ZS's never performed like we hoped they would although I used to watch them and thought with a little extra investment they could have been winning cars. Hopefully 888 will give the team the extra ooomph it needs. MG should do a road going version too with big brakes, decent engine spec and uprated suspension etc. Once the 6's start beating Focus ST's Golf VR's and other hot hatches in traffic light duels they may become a real alternative to the rest.

One more thing, do something about the window switches too, perhaps aluminium and not plastic ?
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:24 am

The story is currently the second most viewed on the Telegraph's website today:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorsport/9038638/MG-makes-a-return-to-racing.html
    patpending
    patpending

MG BTCC 2012 Empty MG hoping for sales boost after entering British Touring Car Championship

Post by patpending Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:07 am

SOURCE: Birmingham Post

http://www.birminghampost.net/birmingham-business/birmingham-business-news/automotive-business/2012/02/02/mg-hoping-for-sales-boost-after-entering-british-touring-car-championship-65233-30247372/2/

Guy Jones:

“This is a commercial decision. We have got to get out there and sell products. We’ve done the hard bit, getting the team off the ground commercially, the next step is we need to sell products.”

Mr Jones would not be drawn on sales figures but added: “We sold 360 cars last year and our first milestone will be 1,000 cars. We don’t want to be bandying numbers around yet.

"I have been criticised for being too reticent but people have been hanged for giving numbers out".

The BTCC project is part of MG Motor UK’s growth strategy which this year will see the expansion of its UK dealer network, which currently stands at 40, and the launch of a diesel version of the MG6.

Next year will herald expansion into Europe and the arrival of a new model – the MG3.

Moving into Europe will be a “step by step approach”, according to Mr Jones who added: “We don’t have any distribution network in Europe so we will be building from scratch. But we have got a famous and iconic brand with big expectations.

Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:56 am

Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:28 pm

An update from Plato in the Sun:

The shells of the cars for me and my team-mate Andy Neate have arrived from the fabricators and 888's boss Ian Harrison is super-pleased with their quality and accuracy of engineering.

Our target is to have one car ready for the Media Day, although whether it will be a runner or not remains to be seen.

Yes, of course we are going to be late for testing compared to some of our rivals like Honda.
    Full article: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/motorsport/4180550/Jason-Plato-BTCC-column.html
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:14 pm

I am hiring an MG6 on Monday 19th and going to Silverstone for the press day.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:48 am

Avis couldn't guarantee an MG6 so I took my own car, but today I saw more MG6s than MG ZSs.

The MG6 BTCC car is "amazing" - it looks great!

The livery is very colourful, but what my photos have not captured is that the wheel arches are pronouncedly flared with a sort of "letter box" vent behind the front wheel.

There is only one seat inside the car.

MG BTCC 2012 MG6BTCCfront

MG BTCC 2012 MG6BTCCrear

Only press visitors had a chance to see the car in action - the trailer the car fits on (on top of two sets of workbenches) is Thunderbirds on a stick!

If you have access to Facebook, here is Tony Palmer's selection.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3369281586758.155395.1110760448&type=3
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:15 pm

I like the white MG logo on the back. They have so many sponsors logos on there that they will be making a profit!

Obviously all the sponsors see value in the MG brand, and they are still all British.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:21 pm

The white strip along the side is covered with small sponsors' names, companies which I have to admit meant little to me up till now.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:06 pm

We will know which the MG is in the helicopter view:

MG BTCC 2012 DSCN5261

More images: http://www9.mgcars.org.uk/mgoc260/f0rum/showthread.php?10763-BTCC-Media-Day-(Public-Thread

Ahh, so that is what it looks like:

MG BTCC 2012 DSCN5295

Looks nothing like the car!
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:57 am

The drink is delicious, though it does make Gill a bit like she's been eating mushy peas. bounce bounce

As for the helicopter shots, the assembled wise men did wonder if the floorpan is decorated like the roof in case of a major spill...

Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:50 pm

patpending wrote:As for the helicopter shots, the assembled wise men did wonder if the floorpan is decorated like the roof in case of a major spill...

I guess they remembered this from last year:

MG BTCC 2012 5722892006_0b4f7e14f2_o

- Read the Silverline logo if you hadn't noticed, the reason was the previous race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2losyrki0w
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:39 am

Just a reminder while we wait for the MG press release that the BTCC is back this weekend Smile

We have made progress with my MG KX Momentum Racing MG6, not just in lap times but also in terms of the feel and driveability of the car.

If recent history has anything to do with it, I’m going to come out of the summer break and wield a bit stick, which is what I’ve done in the last couple of years.
    Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/motorsport/4477739/Jason-Plato-column-Ive-caught-the-fever-and-boy-does-it-feel-great.html#ixzz2332n6Fas
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:05 am

...and after the end of the 2012 season, Andy Neate has left the team!

http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=3264

The car is LHD. If "being able to read Arabic" were a requirement I would know a candidate from Kuwait! lol!
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:03 pm

patpending wrote:The car is LHD. If "being able to read Arabic" were a requirement I would know a candidate from Kuwait! lol!
    Do their steering wheels turn the oposite direction too? I keep having trouble with their scrollbars always being on the left!
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:10 pm

Chinese autotranslate might be a bit tricky, but using Arabic autotranslate e.g. for MG Egypt is a nightmare because the text is right adjusted!
    mg-zs
    mg-zs

Number of posts : 166
    Registration date : 2009-02-06

Post by mg-zs Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:24 am

Intresting to see who will be the nr2 driver Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 pm