MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Dorset Rocket
Morris Motors
6 posters

UK Sales, Motorpoint MG6 and MG3 Launch

Morris Motors

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

UK Sales, Motorpoint MG6 and MG3 Launch Empty UK Sales, Motorpoint MG6 and MG3 Launch

Post by Morris Motors Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:57 am

So Motorpoint have already got a batch of 63-plate MG6 GT & Magnette models, about 40-odd I think. At least one MG3 is going out to each dealer this month too (35-40 cars?), plus the press cars and any others that Longbridge register for testing/loans, plus any actual sales...

I think this month's MG registrations will be into triple figures. And I think that's deliberate. Remember the slightly hysterical-sounding press release talking about sales increases year-on-year of hundreds of percent etc? I bet October will see an MG UK press release (probably already written) lauding the spectacular sales increase of 600% in the MG3 launch month, the best sales month since 2010 etc etc Cool 

But what have they just done to the MG6 residuals? And what will the sales figures look like - for both cars - in October? Of course October allegedly sees the TV ad campaign, but according to another, less MG-friendly, website, there might already be supply issues with the MG3 before it's even got going. Doh 
    Dorset Rocket

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2011-05-20

UK Sales, Motorpoint MG6 and MG3 Launch Empty Re: UK Sales, Motorpoint MG6 and MG3 Launch

Post by Dorset Rocket Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:58 pm

Not long ago there was talk that the first batch of MG3s (700?) had all but sold out. So if that is the case then registrations in the hundreds should be the norm from this month onwards. Most of the press cars seem to have been 13 plate and part of only 13 MGs in total registered in August. The more interesting thing is that they appear to be dumping MG6 models at Motorpoint. Hopefully this signals the clearing of old stock in anticipation of a much better priced and equipped MG6 for 2014 that ties in with the brands new value image. As stated on the front of Autocar last week, MG may at last be finding their 'mojo'. Lets hope the 6 now becomes part of that rediscovery
    Morris Motors

UK Sales, Motorpoint MG6 and MG3 Launch Empty Re: UK Sales, Motorpoint MG6 and MG3 Launch

Post by Morris Motors Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:51 pm

Well, hopefully that. The alternative is that the 6 basically becomes a 'special order' car and is all but canned.
    docjunior2008
    docjunior2008

Number of posts : 142
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by docjunior2008 Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:03 pm

I think the MG6 will be facelifted and repriced.  At least, I hope it will be Smile

Also, wonder if we'll FINALLY get the MG5? Could that be the 'full line-up' Eleanor De La Haye was talking about before the LE500 launch?
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:17 am

I don't think we'll be getting the MG5. It seems to take them so long to get them here that we'd at least have seen some testing or some mentions in all the PR events they've held over the summer. Not a sniff.

Remember - they said they'd focus on the CS first, then maybe the MG5. By that time I'd say the MG5 will be well past it's best (not that it has gained much of a following anyway). They'd be crucified if they launched the MG5 in the UK when it will already be 5 years old.

I think they need to be working on a 1.5T for the EU to fit in the MG3. They need to be running the MG6 with the new 2.0 engine from the CS - it must be gaining type approval and it would transform the MG6. I also think they MUST do another 'fun' car - whether it is an evolution of the Icon or whatever - MINI are about to hoover up the 'British 2-seater' market and MG have just walked away from it. Utter madness.

A new 2-seater will sell in far greater numbers than the MG6 ever will.
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:55 am

docjunior2008 wrote:wonder if we'll FINALLY get the MG5?  Could that be the 'full line-up' Eleanor De La Haye was talking about before the LE500 launch?
    Gary Hagen once said 4 or 5 models. I always presumed that was ZR/ZS/ZT plus a sportscar plus (then) maybe a people carrier.

But that was then. I have forgotten what I used to call Eleanor. Here she is in 2008, one minute in. See the "Mod Oct" behind her?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/7597829.stm

But "Only 48 cars a week!" That's four months' sales recently - in a week!
    littlechicken
    littlechicken

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2010-12-21

Post by littlechicken Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:10 am

It is only the Magnette version of the MG6, leading me to believe the Magnette will be dropped as a range topper and repositioned below the GT or be replaced by the MG5 Magnette.

Pricing wise, I believe that as the MG5 hatchback is not going to be launched in its current guise, it is possible to reposition the MG6 at a lower price
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:25 am

Morris Motors wrote:I think they need to be working on a 1.5T for the EU to fit in the MG3. They need to be running the MG6 with the new 2.0 engine from the CS - it must be gaining type approval and it would transform the MG6.
    The 2.0L engine is confirmed for 2014 in the MG7, Roewe 750 and Roewe 950, no mention of the MG6. Wonder if they will consider bringing the new MG7 to Europe?
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:33 am

patpending wrote:
    docjunior2008 wrote:wonder if we'll FINALLY get the MG5?  Could that be the 'full line-up' Eleanor De La Haye was talking about before the LE500 launch?
    Gary Hagen once said 4 or 5 models. I always presumed that was ZR/ZS/ZT plus a sportscar plus (then) maybe a people carrier.

But that was then. I have forgotten what I used to call Eleanor. Here she is in 2008, one minute in. See the "Mod Oct" behind her?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/7597829.stm

But "Only 48 cars a week!" That's four months' sales recently - in a week!
    Crikey. Never seen that film before... it all seemed so positive and here we are, 5 years later, still willing them to pull something out of the hat.

Talk of 30-40,000 cars per annum within 5 years etc - well that worked out well didn't it! As for stating that 400 of the 500 LEs were sold before they'd hit the showrooms... well, did they *ever* manage to sell them all? You could still get unregistered LEs right up the end of production.

I think the answer is marketing and being realistic with lead times! Is Eleanor De La Haye still there?
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:40 am

littlechicken wrote:It is only the Magnette version of the MG6, leading me to believe the Magnette will be dropped as a range topper and repositioned below the GT or be replaced by the MG5 Magnette.

Pricing wise, I believe that as the MG5 hatchback is not going to be launched in its current guise, it is possible to reposition the MG6 at a lower price
    The Magnette is the only MG6 to have a sunroof isn't it? If it is only Magnettes that have landed at Motorpoint, that does back up the theory that this was a cancelled fleet order. But the web suggests they are old stock before the chrome trim was added last year.

I imagine they are clearing space; if they are old stock and they are anticipating big things with the MG3, they can't have 18 month old Magnettes sitting around in a fairly small factory site.
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:41 am

Windy wrote:
    Morris Motors wrote:I think they need to be working on a 1.5T for the EU to fit in the MG3. They need to be running the MG6 with the new 2.0 engine from the CS - it must be gaining type approval and it would transform the MG6.
    The 2.0L engine is confirmed for 2014 in the MG7, Roewe 750 and Roewe 950, no mention of the MG6.  Wonder if they will consider bringing the new MG7 to Europe?
    Do we know what the MG7 will look like yet? I can't imagine it coming here; they need to be making smaller, fun cars like the MG3/5/TF/Icon that can sell cheaply, rather than ever-bigger barges that the market just doesn't want.
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:18 am

Morris Motors wrote:The Magnette is the only MG6 to have a sunroof isn't it? If it is only Magnettes that have landed at Motorpoint, that does back up the theory that this was a cancelled fleet order. But the web suggests they are old stock before the chrome trim was added last year.

I imagine they are clearing space; if they are old stock and they are anticipating big things with the MG3, they can't have 18 month old Magnettes sitting around in a fairly small factory site.
    I think some of them are used (e.g. ex Avis) and some of them are in fact new.
    littlechicken
    littlechicken

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2010-12-21

Post by littlechicken Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:35 am

Morris Motors wrote:
    littlechicken wrote:It is only the Magnette version of the MG6, leading me to believe the Magnette will be dropped as a range topper and repositioned below the GT or be replaced by the MG5 Magnette.

The Magnette is the only MG6 to have a sunroof isn't it? If it is only Magnettes that have landed at Motorpoint, that does back up the theory that this was a cancelled fleet order. But the web suggests they are old stock before the chrome trim was added last year.

The Magnette TSE has an electric sun roof, it could possibly be a cancelled fleet order, the S and SE model being deleted in April 2012, odd move when they had stock left, how can they sell any when you think it has been deleted!

The new cars are all Magnettes, it is possible to buy a per reg Magnette s model for just £8999, making a 3 seem expensive !

I can understand they need to clear space for MG3's but cant help but think it will not give MG3 buyers much confident on future values.

The MG6 Magnette is a fantastic car, the best I have had, whilst I can recommend buying used, I could never suggest buying a new Magnette from an MG dealer.

Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:14 am

Well I was thinking this - I was planning on getting a 3 once my house move/mortgage is sorted in the next couple of months. If there was a cheap diesel Magnette in black or grey I'd be up for it!

Resale values will only really be an issue for the 6. The 3 starts off cheap - what can go wrong? The issue is paying £20k for a Magnette and losing £13k overnight...
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:36 am

So, anyway, I was RIGHT about the sales figures. I am now just waiting for the breathless press release from MG... Cool 

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:25 pm