MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

An American tries the MG3 (aronline) - Say! I like the MG3!

patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

An American tries the MG3 (aronline) - Say! I like the MG3! Empty An American tries the MG3 (aronline) - Say! I like the MG3!

Post by patpending Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:27 am

I note that the American driver has two preconceptions about an MG3;

1) because it isn't a sportscar (they had no Metro/Maestro/Montego or Zeds, presumably no 1100 as that was the Austin America (EDIT Adam Sloman says there were MG Sports Sedans and Princess 1100s, but very few (154?)) "it is not a proper MG"

2) Chinese cars are rubbish.

He has changed his mind on driving it:

An American tries the MG3 (aronline) - Say! I like the MG3! Com.oceanhouse.media-1.10-AD-Shot3._SL404_V170901764_

how is the MG3? I’d say it is outstanding. I see it as delivering excellent value for money, with better than average styling and a nice level of equipment. So, could MG come back into the US with its current lineup and be successful?

I would say yes, but with caveats.

I see that prompt local service to get a car back on the road pronto is essential. US-wide? *UK-wide* is evidently a headache. As for the gear in the 3Style, Americans are marking German cars down for reliability because they expect just to turn up and drive off and clarksonly not RTFM.

However, the US is still the biggest market in the world - and SAIC have a base in Birmingham (Michigan) - the question is not "can they afford to ignore the US?", but "how long for?"...

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/blogs/blog-mg-ready-prime-time/

Last edited by patpending on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
    Morris Motors

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

An American tries the MG3 (aronline) - Say! I like the MG3! Empty Re: An American tries the MG3 (aronline) - Say! I like the MG3!

Post by Morris Motors Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:22 am

The MG1100 did make it to the US as the MG Sports Sedan and also as the MG Princess 1100 (a sort of VDP mash up).
    Podders

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2013-12-28

An American tries the MG3 (aronline) - Say! I like the MG3! Empty Re: An American tries the MG3 (aronline) - Say! I like the MG3!

Post by Podders Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:14 am

If MG enters the US market with cars built to the quality of the 6 and 3, it will be the Sterling débâcle all over again.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:02 am

Podders wrote:If MG enters the US market with cars built to the quality of the 6 and 3, it will be the Sterling débâcle all over again.

? but the 6 and 3 are built to very good quality, see the sceptical journo's reaction. We hear about any issues because that's what people post about on the internet.

American journo Richard Truett said in that article:

The fit and finish of the MG3 is generally excellent. The paint is smooth, the trim is well attached and the build quality shows that the MG3 is as good and probably better than some of its rivals.

Podders

Post by Podders Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:09 am

It's not what buyers who've had them for more than a journo's test drive are saying. Just take a look at the comments on the official MG3 forum.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:04 am

As to reliability, there are 350,000 MG6 registered for road use if you include the 550 variant and 135,000 MG3, and the engine in the MG3 is also fitted to 325,000 MG5 and 350. (figures from Windy). Here, we have an open mind and don't invent spurious titles for ourselves or pursue a blinkered agenda.

Returning to the topic, an American journo who was very sceptical at the idea of an MG supermini tried one and liked it. So might you or anybody reading this. The many MG3 drivers I know are most happy with their new cars in the real world.
    Podders

Post by Podders Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:32 am

I'd happily buy one if the quality was there. I'm a serial new MG purchaser. But anecdotal evidence from real world owners on the official forum is too discouraging.

Has anyone on here bought one, and has similar first hand ownership experience to share?
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:11 am

while waiting for responses here, I'll see what other feedback from real world British drivers I can get...
    Podders

Post by Podders Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:21 am

This thread, in particular, makes depressing reading:

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=23072&highlight=&mforum=macdroitwich

Such a pity, the car looks spiffing.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:21 am

Results up to now (no. of UK MG3 drivers' votes):

MG3 drivers only please. Would you say your car is reliable (ignoring issues from e.g. collision)?

Yes, very reliable, no niggles: 4

Pretty good, minor issues only:4

Only OK: 1 [computer takes a second or two to recover from stall, but not actually "broken"]

Really poor, couldn't recommend it:0
    Jobbybob
    Jobbybob

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2013-12-24

Post by Jobbybob Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:28 am

Where's that from? They've sold more than nine haven't they?
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:37 am

Jobbybob wrote:Where's that from? They've sold more than nine haven't they?
    from people I know on facebook, but I don't know all 400ish-to-date(?) owners. Of the ones I do know those are the nine who answered within an hour...
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:30 am

By this evening 25/2/2014: 13 responses which must represent some 2% of current MG3 drivers...otherwise not a scientific poll, but hair colouring ads would kill for this level of statistical significance! Wink albino  Basketball  pig 

Yes, very reliable, no niggles: 8

Pretty good, minor issues only:4

Only OK: 1 [computer takes a second or two to recover from stall, but not actually "broken"]

Really poor, couldn't recommend it:0

So in the sample, over 6 out of 10 thought their MG3 was "very reliable" and only one person thought reliability was "only OK"...

Given I was just reading B*W drivers saying "don't buy one made in September, it will be an Oktoberfest car!", that suggests that an MG3 is pretty likely to be very reliable. Certainly to get a poor-quality one would be bad luck!
    Podders

Post by Podders Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:32 pm

There must be something seriously amiss with the 3 if owners are getting rid this quickly:

http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=23484&highlight=&mforum=macdroitwich
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:10 pm

BIRMINGHAM, England -- The most credible car yet to emerge from China that I have seen wears an unlikely badge: MG.
    Nice article in the USA press:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140301/GLOBAL03/303039983/brit-savvy-makes-this-chinese-car-a-winner
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:03 pm

Windy wrote:

BIRMINGHAM, England -- The most credible car yet to emerge from China that I have seen wears an unlikely badge: MG.
    Nice article in the USA press:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140301/GLOBAL03/303039983/brit-savvy-makes-this-chinese-car-a-winner

The MG3 is easily on par with the Kia Rio, Hyundai Accent and other entry-level vehicles such as the Toyota Yaris. It could be sold in North America and be competitive with other inexpensive imports -- not just on price, but on design, build quality and performance.The MG3 now is sold only in Britain, for the equivalent of about $14,000.

it's the same Richard Truett! Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:41 am