MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

CarSite.co.uk : Don't like the pink mirrors

Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

CarSite.co.uk : Don't like the pink mirrors Empty CarSite.co.uk : Don't like the pink mirrors

Post by Windy Fri May 09, 2014 5:52 am

http://www.carsite.co.uk/news/article/mg3-3style-review/15877

What makes the 3's engine even more frustrating is that, in all other ways, it's one of the best cars in its class to drive. The chassis -- and we're being deadly serious here -- is brilliant, offering composed body control and nimble, taut handling. The steering is also crisp, well-weighted and linear in its response. How MG has managed to pull this off we don't know, but it's managed to build one of the best handling cars in the class.

MG has fitted the 3 with a naturally-aspirated 1.5-litre petrol engine which develops 105bhp and 101lb-ft of torque, giving a 0-62mph time of 11.4 seconds and a top speed of 108mph. This might not sound too bad on paper -- in fact, considering the price, it's very good -- however, the engine is by far the worst part of the car. At low revs it's fine, but take it up past around 4,000rpm and torque drops off considerably.
    Magnette

Number of posts : 93
    Registration date : 2014-02-26

CarSite.co.uk : Don't like the pink mirrors Empty Re: CarSite.co.uk : Don't like the pink mirrors

Post by Magnette Fri May 09, 2014 6:41 am

Every single review has commented on the engine as the weakest point (even though they all say it is entirely acceptable). Given that MG went to the trouble of bringing the diesel MG6 to market, plus the fact that the MG3 UK sales are even reaching South African press releases, surely it's a no-brainer to get the 1.5T over here asap?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

CarSite.co.uk : Don't like the pink mirrors Empty Re: CarSite.co.uk : Don't like the pink mirrors

Post by Windy Fri May 09, 2014 6:58 am

Magnette wrote:surely it's a no-brainer to get the 1.5T over here asap?
    They will be waiting for the SGE for CO2 emission reasons. I imagine the NSE 1.5T might result in them being fined by next years EU emission regulations - the ones that make 130g average CO2 a mandatory limit and the reason they are now pushing the diesel MG6 rather than the petrol.

It will be interesting to see what the reviews say if the SGE turns out excellent, will all the negativity be focused on the pink mirrors?

Actually, I'm not sure that "(the engine) is very good -- however, the engine is by far the worst part of the car" should be taken as a negative, it actually says that by far the worst part of the car is very good suggesting that everything else must be extremely good!

What puzzled me was that this review says the engine is good at low revs and poor at high while most reviews have it the other way around, and some are perfectly happy with it at all revs!
    Magnette

Number of posts : 93
    Registration date : 2014-02-26

Post by Magnette Fri May 09, 2014 8:37 am

I agree - nobody is actually saying the engine is a dog, plus it's free of any MGR/HGF baggage. There aren't really any negative reviews at all.
    littlechicken
    littlechicken

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2010-12-21

Post by littlechicken Tue May 13, 2014 5:39 am

Having owned a 3 for over 2 months I think the engine is fine.

Whilst it lacks the performance of the 6, it is on par with the PSA/BMW engine that is fitted to our 308.

What I have found if you are on a country lane low revs and you approach a hill dropping from 5th to 4th makes it struggle, but dropping straight to 3rd it flies along and uses less fuel!

The 3 is much better at high revs  Very Happy 
    snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

Post by snifferdog1 Tue May 13, 2014 5:44 am

littlechicken wrote:Having owned a 3 for over 2 months I think the engine is fine.

Whilst it lacks the performance of the 6, it is on par with the PSA/BMW engine that is fitted to our 308.

What I have found if you are on a country lane low revs and you approach a hill dropping from 5th to 4th makes it struggle, but dropping straight to 3rd it flies along and uses less fuel!

The 3 is much better at high revs  Very Happy 

Definitely agree with this mate.

I find that you often have to drop two gears to keep it going but doing so drops you right into the power.

You have to use the gearbox a lot but it is worth it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:12 pm