MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

MG Birmingham & The new MG models

Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

MG Birmingham & The new MG models Empty MG Birmingham & The new MG models

Post by Windy Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:36 am

New MG models for Longbridge factory
    09 February 2010

MG6 saloon to be built
    Two more models on the way
    New name for factory, too

MG Birmingham & The new MG models 291101034257359234x155

MG is preparing to restart production of saloons at the former Austin factory in Longbridge, Birmingham.

The MG6 – a model that's slightly bigger than a Skoda Octavia – will start rolling off the production lines in four- and five-door form in October.

Initially, it will be available with only petrol engines, but diesels will follow 12 months later when the factory – now rechristened MG Motor Birmingham – will begin exporting cars to mainland Europe.

MG is now owned by the China's Shanghai Automotive (SAIC), the successor to the company which bought the Longbridge assembly lines and tooling when Rover went bust.

'Affordability and sportiness'
    The MG6 is an Anglicised version of Shanghai Automotive's Roewe 550, which is based on a modified version of the old Rover 75 platform. MG is promising 'affordability and sportiness' as the cornerstones of its strategy in Europe.

More new models on the way
    This will be the first of three models likely to end up being made at the Longbridge site. A VW Golf-sized car based on the Roewe 350, a new model to be revealed at April's Beijing auto show, is next in line to arrive here, probably around 2012.

There will also be an even smaller model, about the same size as or slightly larger than European superminis. A concept study of how that car might look is also due to be displayed at Beijing.
    Source: http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/new-mg-models-for-longbridge-factory/247423

Last edited by Windy on Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
    richardk
    richardk

Number of posts : 935
    Registration date : 2009-02-06

MG Birmingham & The new MG models Empty Re: MG Birmingham & The new MG models

Post by richardk Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:59 am

Well found - reads well too and seems to fit with other info we've come across. A bit of a mistake to wait a year for a diesel if that's true..but hey ho roll on MG Motor Birmingham - welcome back baby!
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:45 am

Yes, MG Birmingham - the former Austin factory - shades of the MINI's Cowley Oxford factory with no mention of "MG Rover".

First I've heard of a 4-door variant. How did Auto Express miss that one? MG Birmingham & The new MG models 482757 MG Birmingham & The new MG models Icon_albino MG Birmingham & The new MG models Icon_albino
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:47 am

patpending wrote:Yes, MG Birmingham - the former Austin factory - shades of the MINI's Cowley Oxford factory with no mention of "MG Rover".

First I've heard of a 4-door variant. How did Auto Express miss that one? MG Birmingham & The new MG models 482757 MG Birmingham & The new MG models Icon_albino MG Birmingham & The new MG models Icon_albino

Autodistress got confused they thought it was GMs new car!
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:43 pm

richardk wrote:Autodistress got confused they thought it was GMs new car!
    well, I'm sure it's what the autotranslate said! Wink
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:20 am

MG plans TF replacement

MG Motor has started work on an all-new front-engined, rear-drive open-top sports car to replace the TF.

Development is at a very early stage and has lower priority than the company’s plans to introduce both the new MG6 and a new supermini to Longbridge. But the firm believes that a new sports car is essential to the long-term credibility of MG as a sporting brand. Though far from concrete, the plan is to introduce the model during 2014.

MG’s 200-strong, Longbridge-based engineering team has already investigated the feasibility of various driveline layouts for the new model, which would also be built at the UK site. Well placed insiders say that a front-engined, rear-drive layout is favoured, to provide the basis for an affordable sports car that would be a direct rival to the Mazda MX-5.

Driver entertainment is a priority, as is the sporting purity of the concept, which is why a front-engined, rear-drive layout is the most likely option.

A mid-engined drivetrain, as used on today’s TF, has been rejected because of the styling and packaging limitations it forces on the car, while customer perceptions about the limited abilities of front-wheel drive mean it has been discounted.

MG does not expect the 15-year-old TF to live much beyond the end of this year, although production of the model is expected to restart in April, following last autumn’s shutdown. That will leave the company without a sports car for at least three years while this new model is developed.

A major challenge will be finding the funds to pay for an all-new rear-drive platform, although SAIC has not ruled out trying to find a partner with which to share a platform. But ultimately, the birth of this new model will be heavily dependent on the success of MG’s attempts to re-establish itself in the UK and Europe with the MG6 and its smaller supermini sister.
    Source: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/MG-Motor-TF/247402/
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:51 pm

Windy wrote:MG does not expect the 15-year-old TF to live much beyond the end of
    this year, although production of the model is expected to restart in
    April, following last autumn’s shutdown. That will leave the company
    without a sports car for at least three years while this new model is
    developed.
    Hmm - the LE500 and the 85 edition are a classic!

MG Birmingham & The new MG models Pg-16-carson-rex_-_48550s

"It's the way I sell them!"

this means the MG dealers won't be selling sportscars soon but sporty saloons and runabouts!
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:57 am

I've seen a real photo of the 2010 Volvo V50. It looked a lot like this:

MG Birmingham & The new MG models S40back

(this I think is the S40 but the colour as well as the styling are the interesting things for MG6 fans!)
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:58 am

Looks like a Volvo from the back, not as pretty an MG6 and the orange is more "rotten orange"!
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:23 pm

Windy wrote:Looks like a Volvo from the back, not as pretty an MG6 and the orange is more "rotten orange"!
    Orange nevertheless. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

RE. Volvoness: I see the MG6 has "shoulders" like the 140 or 340.

And IIRC the former Volvo S40 production from the country whose own colour is orange (the Netherlands) is no more!

The more I see of the MG6, the more I like it!
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:14 pm

I look forward to the MG6x4 or MG6Tx4 to coax me out of my lubbly Freelander
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:43 am

richardk wrote:I look forward to the MG6x4 or MG6Tx4 to coax me out of my lubbly Freelander
    didn't NAC/SAIC have to sign something in blood to promise they would never produce true 4WD MGs or Land Roewes? or it would be "Tata for now and see you in court"?

Let's face it, the MG6 isn't even here yet, and the last thing we want is the management of MG Motor concentrating on how to make it RWD and get a Mustang (Corvette?) engine in the front... Laughing
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:44 am

patpending wrote:
    Let's face it, the MG6 isn't even here yet, and the last thing we want is the management of MG Motor concentrating on how to make it RWD and get a Mustang (Corvette?) engine in the front... Laughing

Well it may already be under development of course MG Birmingham & The new MG models Icon_twisted
    There are other floor pans at their disposal
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:08 am

richardk wrote:
    patpending wrote:

Well it may already be under development of course MG Birmingham & The new MG models Icon_twisted
    There are other floor pans at their disposal
    Not with a Mustang engine, it will surely use the NLE (New Large Engine), which we have heard nothing about for ages, but then we have heard nothing of the NSE (New Small Engine) since the start of production date at the end of last month!
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:14 am

OK agreed I wasn't thinking about a Mustang engine..more one that uses heavy oil and can do more than 30 to the gallon.
    I know MG6...3...5 and whatever will come first..just wanted to my name on the the lst for the Morris Mudplugger
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:57 am

richardk wrote:OK agreed I wasn't thinking about a Mustang engine..more one that uses heavy oil and can do more than 30 to the gallon.
    I know MG6...3...5 and whatever will come first..just wanted to my name on the the lst for the Morris Mudplugger
    The AP14 (Roewe 350 SUV) then

MG Birmingham & The new MG models 2009112194051462
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:47 am

Windy wrote:
    richardk wrote:OK agreed I wasn't thinking about a Mustang engine..more one that uses heavy oil and can do more than 30 to the gallon.
    The AP14 (Roewe 350 SUV) then

MG Birmingham & The new MG models 2009112194051462

would SAIC be legally allowed to sell any 4WD in the UK? if so, under what conditions, e.g. could it be an MG? is the 350 SUV 2WD like the MG3SW?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:10 am

patpending wrote:would SAIC be legally allowed to sell any 4WD in the UK? if so, under what conditions, e.g. could it be an MG? is the 350 SUV 2WD like the MG3SW?
    I don't know but...

SAIC have sold SUVs in the UK, and as far as I know they still do - those Ssangyong things! (Not quite sure on ownership of Ssangyong these days?)

My guess is that the restiction on MG-Rover was only on selling SUVs under the Rover brand name as part of the conditions of "renting" the Rover name. SAIC dont have the Rover name so that is not a problem. The intention of the restriction was to avoid confusion between Rover and Land Rover which isn't an issue for an MG SUV being sold by a company called MG Motor.

If they tried to sell them with Land Rovers badges then there would be a problem as Mr Riley has just proved, otherwise no problem.

I imagine the AP14 is two wheel drive; just a 350 with extra ground clearence and higher seating positions. For 4 wheel drive they have the Ssangyong based Roewe SUV due later this year so I don't see the point in developing 4wd for the 350, although a 4 electric wheel drive must be a posibility in a few years.
    docjunior2008
    docjunior2008

Number of posts : 142
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by docjunior2008 Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:58 am

richardk wrote:I look forward to the MG6x4 or MG6Tx4 to coax me out of my lubbly Freelander
    That sounds quite exciting.  Love the Roewe pics Smile
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:53 am

It's now changed from "MG Motor Birmingham" to just "MG Birmingham" Shocked

Longbridge to be renamed after over 100 years

LONGBRIDGE is being consigned to history after more than 100 years – with a multi-million pound Chinese makeover to turn the site into the nerve centre of MG design worldwide.

The former home of Lord Austin, British Leyland, Red Robbo, Sir Michael Edwardes, BMW and John Towers is to be renamed MG Birmingham, with an MG Worldwide Design Studio at the heart of the new operation.

The launch of the MG6 model later this year will pave the way for production running into thousands of vehicles, transforming the car firm from a tiny niche operator making just 400 cars a year into a volume manufacturer with major export ambitions.

The plans mark the biggest overhaul at the UK’s most famous factory site since Chinese firm Nanjing bought the former assets of MG Rover for £53 million after the car firm went bust amid debts of £1.3 billion nearly five years ago.

The Chinese plans for Longbridge have remained largely under wraps since China’s biggest car firm Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation took over Nanjing Automobile – but the site is now gearing up for millions of pounds of investment.

Guy Jones, Sales and Marketing Director of MG Motor UK, said: “I do not think that people realise how big MG could be globally.

“They could have just shipped everything in from China, but this could be the gateway to Europe for MG.

“This is a multi-million pound investment. We want to make Birmingham the home for the MG brand globally – Longbridge is going to be revitalized. We want the site to be referred to in common language as MG Birmingham. The company will be MG Motor UK.

“We are in the second largest city in the UK but, to global and international people, Longbridge is meaningless.

“This is more of a subtle change; the postal address remains the same.

“We want to give it its own identity separate from MG Rover, to give it international recognition.

“Instead of saying ‘here is a plan of Longbridge, we will say here is a plan of MG Birmingham.’

Mr Jones said the launch of the MG6 later this year would be the catalyst for transforming the Chinese car firm into a volume manufacturer. So far the factory has only sold a few hundred limited edition cars and MG TF135 models.

“We are going from small volumes to large volumes, from hundreds of cars to thousands. This is a very exciting time for a new company.

“This is the complete opposite of the rest of the market, where global players are looking to reduce and fight their corners.

“We are still going to be a very lean, very efficient company, but we have got the biggest player in the biggest car market in the world as the parent company.” The revamp of Longbridge will also see an on-site MG dealership set up in the old visitor centre while the conference centre will be refurbished with a view to attracting other users.

“We do not have a significant presence in the centre of Birmingham and we are sure people would like to have their cars serviced at a factory dealership,” Mr Jones added.

Source: http://www.birminghammail.net/news/top-stories/2010/03/04/longbridge-to-be-renamed-after-over-100-years-97319-25960866/
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:01 am

“Instead of saying ‘here is a plan of Longbridge, we will say here is a plan of MG Birmingham.’
    "MG Longbridge", "MG Birmingham", one more step and it will by "MGUK" lol!
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:05 am

Funky for the locals to take their cars back to the factory for servicing - kewl
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:21 am

Windy wrote:
    "MG Longbridge", "MG Birmingham", one more step and it will by "MGUK" lol!
    well it's MGB now!

What else? MG Transport Factory, MG Zebra Shed? (for the new models)
    Cowley W

MG Birmingham & The new MG models Empty MG Birmingham

Post by Cowley W Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:05 am

Not such a new idea. At the old MG factory in Abingdon customers could have service work done on their cars. The legendary John Thornley, who was Managing Director of MG in the 1950's and 60's and made it into a truly international firm, started out in the service department in the 1930's.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 1:48 am