MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Tony Williams-Kenny announced as Design Director, SAIC Motor

Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Tony Williams-Kenny announced as Design Director, SAIC Motor Empty Tony Williams-Kenny announced as Design Director, SAIC Motor

Post by Windy Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Tony Williams-Kenny announced as Design Director, SAIC Motor

Tony Williams-Kenny has been announced as the new global Design Director of Chinese automaker, SAIC Motor.

During his previous role as Design Director for SAIC Motor, UK, Williams-Kenny worked on various Roewe products, as well as being responsible for designing a new generation of MG models including the MG3, MG6 and MG Zero – the first concept car from the brand since 1985.

When interviewed by CDN last year, we asked him how important design is in the company: "For me it's obvious SAIC gets the need for design and the need for a strong brand design relationship," he answered. "We have a really good review group at senior management level too, who actually want to be involved in design reviews and the decision making process."

After gaining an MA in Automotive Design and a BA (Hons) in Transport Design from Coventry University in the UK in 1998, Kenny joined Mitsubishi Europe Design in Trebur, Germany as a designer. He joined the MG Rover Group in 2000 as Design Manager, before the company was bought by SIAC.

Williams, who previously held the lead design role at SAIC Motor UK Technical Centre, takes over from Ken Ma, now Head of Design at Chang'an Motors

Tony Williams-Kenny announced as Design Director, SAIC Motor 197055_68_preview

Tony Williams-Kenny with his team and favorite car designs at the opening of MG's new Longbridge Design Centre

Source: http://www.cardesignnews.com/site/designers/whos_where/display/store4/item214496/

Thumbs Up
    Roverman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2010-02-12

Tony Williams-Kenny announced as Design Director, SAIC Motor Empty Re: Tony Williams-Kenny announced as Design Director, SAIC Motor

Post by Roverman Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:04 pm

He joined the MG Rover Group in 2000 as Design Manager, before the company was bought by SIAC

Never knew this, so even more lineage to the former MG Rover.
    And people say it's not an MG!
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Tony Williams-Kenny announced as Design Director, SAIC Motor Empty Re: Tony Williams-Kenny announced as Design Director, SAIC Motor

Post by patpending Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:32 am

Roverman wrote:
    He joined the MG Rover Group in 2000 as Design Manager, before the company was bought by SAIC

Never knew this, so even more lineage to the former MG Rover.
    And people say it's not an MG!

IIRC no-one was "stupid" enough to buy an actual company in the MG Rover Group - can't remember the name of the main one but it was bankrupt.

Using the patpending tune:

"one steam, south steam, above steam, four,
    First Auto and NAC and Shanghai know the score.
    Shanghai bought the IP and Nanjing bought the kit
    SAIC Motor? well MG and Roewe make up it"

I see that SAIC initially bought IP and Nanjing bought the contents of the factory...now it's all one big company.

The MG3SW and MG7 are very near relatives of the MGR cars. Not to mention the TF! Laughing

The MG6 and the Roewes are more modern interpretations based on new design and engineering work done in the UK...
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:35 am

Interesting that the ZA (?) Magnette features so prominently, as IIRC Sir Alec Issigonis got the top engineer's job at BMC after predecessor Gerald Palmer was fired using the "poor results" of that model as a pretext!

Tony Williams-Kenny announced as Design Director, SAIC Motor 197055_68_preview
    skyblueads
    skyblueads

Number of posts : 96
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Post by skyblueads Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:35 am

Actually, it might just be me, but I can see a bit of resemblence between the Magnette and the 6...
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:40 am

skyblueads wrote:Actually, it might just be me, but I can see a bit of resemblence between the Magnette and the 6...
    I think I remember a story from somewhere about the Magnette being one of Tony's favorite car designs and the 6 does indeed take some styling features from it. The bonnet lines look similar to me and the line down the side is similar.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 8:14 pm