MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

MG's UK model line-up to 2016

patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

MG's UK model line-up to 2016 Empty MG's UK model line-up to 2016

Post by patpending Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:45 am

• MG6 GT (2011)
    • MG6 Magnette (2011)
    • MG6 diesel (2012)
    • MG3 (end 2012)
    • MG5 (2013)
    • SUV-style crossover (like MG3 XROSS?) (2014)
    • MG7 replacement (will share Insignia platform) (2014)
    • new sportscar (2016)

(Source: quoted in AR Online)

EDIT William Wang, MD, MG Motor, is NOT actually the source of this information...

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/2011/06/02/press-report-saic-motor-targets-europe-with-new-mg-models/

so five or six distinct models counting 6GT and 6 Magnette as the same car (seven if the MG6 is two cars and if the SUV is very different from the MG3) (even more than Gary Hagen was thinking!)

Last edited by patpending on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
    richardk
    richardk

Number of posts : 935
    Registration date : 2009-02-06

MG's UK model line-up to 2016 Empty Re: MG's UK model line-up to 2016

Post by richardk Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:30 am

I'd intepret the SUV being based on the MG5 rather than MG3 if it is to compete with QQ segment.
    adaveabbott

Number of posts : 190
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

MG's UK model line-up to 2016 Empty MG model line up.

Post by adaveabbott Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:26 am

Very disappointed that the MG3 will only be introduced late 2012. The dealers won't be happy either if i am any judge. How can they survive on just two models till then? Come on MG, bring this launch date forward, to a more realistic one. Sad
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:37 pm

adaveabbott wrote:Very disappointed that the MG3 will only be introduced late 2012. The dealers won't be happy either if i am any judge. How can they survive on just two models till then? Come on MG, bring this launch date forward, to a more realistic one. Sad

There does seem to be some doubt on the legitimacy of the original article..how ever I'd read somewhere that MG3 could be later this year!
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:17 pm

adaveabbott wrote:Very disappointed that the MG3 will only be introduced late 2012. The dealers won't be happy either if i am any judge. How can they survive on just two models till then? Come on MG, bring this launch date forward, to a more realistic one. Sad
    TBH this has been what they have been saying for around a year.

We know that the preparations for a car to interest business fleets with a diesel, as well as LHD, must occupy the small team at MG Birmingham until the summer. Without the rest of the EU as a market MG Birmingham is not sustainable.

Think about Californian software salesmen - flogging you stuff not even the designers have thought of... if a date is not realistic, it isn't realistic!

Remember the question - introduce the Metro or the Maestro? The Metro was ready first but the profit was allegedly in the bigger car.

Having said which, I think an MG3 could be my next car...
    Dynamo
    Dynamo

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2011-04-21

Post by Dynamo Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:28 pm

patpending wrote:

• new sportscar (2016)

I think that this is a bit out of date as well. I'm sure I read that the MG TF LE was pulled because it wasn't getting enough sales, but because the new MG company wanted still to be known as a sports car company, they believe they can't be without a sporting model for too long, so the new sportscar has been brought foreward a few years, maybe to 2012.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:20 am

Dynamo wrote:
    patpending wrote:

• new sportscar (2016)
    <snip>

I think that this is a bit out of date as well. I'm sure I read that the MG TF LE was pulled because it wasn't getting enough sales, but because the new MG company wanted still to be known as a sports car company, they believe they can't be without a sporting model for too long, so the new sportscar has been brought forward a few years, maybe to 2012.
    yes, we know that any development around a new sportscar must be shrouded in secrecy as the minute the press hear about it they will stop thinking about anything else.

I also agree that the 2016 date looked a long way into the future.

Not on this list are replacement models. 5 years is too long for a car to go unchanged (and remember the Roewe 350 has already had a facelift!)
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:07 am

www.iol.co.za's version from May. It means the UK but does not specifically state that:

• 2012: MG3
    • 2013: Sporty MG3 with a 158bhp 1.4 turbo
    • 2014: MG5
    • 2014: MG3 and MG5 XROSS
    • 2014: E1 electric vehicle
    • 2014: MG7 hatch (Insignia platform)
    • 2016: Sportscar

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/industry-news/mg-s-future-model-plans-revealed-1.1065316
    Dorset Rocket

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2011-05-20

MG's UK model line-up to 2016 Empty UK spec cars availability

Post by Dorset Rocket Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:14 am

Sad I agree with the timelime for introduction of UK cars ( MG 3 late 2012 etc) but it is optimistic, as we need to remember that the key to UK market availability is the logistics of getting the cars here from China and the focus of SIAC is very much on their the home market. The MG 3 looks good, but without some rework to suit UK tastes it will be a flop over here. The China versions of the 3 are bland, handle pooly and the engines are harsh (based on what I have read). As far as I know, the re engineering (and styling tweaks) for the UK are in process at Longbridge now. If UK assembly is also planned (unlikely for this model I expect) then that has to be made ready as well. Remember only the old TF line and the revised 75 line now used for the 6 remain at Longbridge, everything else was stripped out by Nanging so assembly of other models in the UK will require significant investment. If UK spec versions of the 3 are to be here by the end of 2012 then MG have alot to do - not least convincing SIAC there is a case for them to come here at all given the slow start to sales of the 6...
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:13 am

Dorset Rocket wrote: Sad I agree with the timelime for introduction of UK cars ( MG 3 late 2012 etc) but it is optimistic, as we need to remember that the key to UK market availability is the logistics of getting the cars here from China and the focus of SIAC is very much on their the home market. The MG 3 looks good, but without some rework to suit UK tastes it will be a flop over here. The China versions of the 3 are bland, handle pooly and the engines are harsh (based on what I have read). As far as I know, the re engineering (and styling tweaks) for the UK are in process at Longbridge now. If UK assembly is also planned (unlikely for this model I expect) then that has to be made ready as well. Remember only the old TF line and the revised 75 line now used for the 6 remain at Longbridge, everything else was stripped out by Nanging so assembly of other models in the UK will require significant investment. If UK spec versions of the 3 are to be here by the end of 2012 then MG have alot to do - not least convincing SIAC there is a case for them to come here at all given the slow start to sales of the 6...

Welcome Dorset Rocket

Yes interesting times ahead..but I think SAIC will be thinking of opening the market in mainland europe and not just UK - that alters the viability of bringing completed bodyshells over from China. Although the BIW etc has gone from Longbridge it doesn't mean that that part couldn't be outsourced to another manufacturer perhpas in UK or mainland europe.
    Indeed plenty of investment is need at Longbridge to make it fully functioning for assembly but the space is there.
    I have confidence in the design team at Longbridge after seeing what a great drive the MG6 is to know that the 3 and the 5 will be fab too

Won't the 3 and 5 be able to go down the same line as the 6?

If MGR could move the 75 line from Cowley to Longbridge in a very short space of time, and add the necessary dog legs in to track, anything's possible given the will power

Exciting innit!

Dorset Rocket

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2011-05-20

Post by Dorset Rocket Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:02 pm

richardk,

Thanks for your welcome

I agree these are exciting times especially for those of us who have been MG/Rover/BL watchers over the years.

Yesit is as much Europe as the UK market that SIAC have their eyes on and that will drive the desision making. I am not sure the 3 could also go down the same line as the 6 due to the very different sizes and platford designs, but I do think we may see upmarket versions of the MG 5 coming out of Longbridge.

There is a great team at the factory now but they will be guided by SIAC's commercial interests. My thoughts on UK production are that the 6 will be the core product for a while, then the 5 crossover and then the 'new sports car', which above all has to be assembled in the UK, if only because there is still only a very small market for open 2 seaters in China.

Regarding the 3, I think it will be imported fully assembled in the same way MG R did with the Cityrover from India as that will be the most cost effective solution - but lets hope that is the only commality it has with Cityrover!
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:18 pm

Welcome DorsetRocket.

I do wonder how far it is planned to make RHD cars in China, and we are certainly expecting LHD EU cars to come from Longbridge.

Let's see where the South African cars come from...(ex-rover says "Lingang")...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:36 am