MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

MG3 launched to press at Bognor Regis 3/9/2013

patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

MG3 launched to press at Bognor Regis 3/9/2013 Empty MG3 launched to press at Bognor Regis 3/9/2013

Post by patpending Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:06 am

Photo by ilovemg

MG3 launched to press at Bognor Regis 3/9/2013 3-1

Is it an MG?
    Simply put, yes.
    It’s fun, affordable and that little bit different.
    - says Adam Sloman (I Love MG)

Comparison of comments on the dashboard – it almost seems as if Adam didn't spend 90% of the test running his fingers over the dashboard! Wink(all the reviews are quite positive, I compare these bits for a laugh!)

Adam Sloman:

The clocks are clear and easy to understand as are the controls for heating and ventilation. A central storage bin on the dash-top (complete with embossed MG logo) houses the auxiliary audio point and a USB socket.
    http://www.ilovemg.org/?p=1504#comment-1142

Auto Express:

The cabin quality does leave a bit to be desired though, with hard scratchy plastics and a fair amount of outdated switchgear.

Honest John

inside, the fixtures and surfaces feel solid and durable. The leather-rimmed steering wheel and gearknob feel right, while ancillary controls such as the column stalks, ICE and air conditioning controls all feel good - banishing memories of some of the MG6's more iffy details. The dashboard and door plastics aren't soft-feel, but equally, they're well within expectations at this price point. The climate control and stereo are also simple and logical to use, and visually appealing.

(added 5/9/13: Daily Telegraph, apologies for the spelling and language in the rest of the report)

Sitting on top of the dash is a useful cubby hole with roller-shutter lid, and below that are the radio and heater controls. There’s a further storage bin ahead of the gear lever, plus a single cupholder behind the handbrake. Yes, it’s all finished in hard plastics, but it looks modern and smart, the fit is good and there were no squeaks or rattles to be heard.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/carreviews/10286808/MG3-review.html

(Added 5/9/2013)

ARonline:

The leather-rimmed steering wheel and gearknob feel right, while ancillary controls such as the column stalks, ICE and air conditioning controls have good tactility – banishing memories of some of the MG6′s more iffy details.
    MG3 launched to press at Bognor Regis 3/9/2013 IMG_3202-600x450
    Interior is functional, but with a welcome splash of colour.
    Nice touches on our top of the line 3Style are the fingertip controls on the steering wheel, which operate the audio and cruise control’s features, while special mention should be made for the dash-top storage area, which is doubly useful for having a retractable blind to cover it, and integrated mounting point for your smartphone or satnav (and which worked really well with the iPhone’s in-built sat-nav). And for a little bit of heritage, there’s a rubber non-slip mat that Rover 200/400/800 owners are all too familiar with.
    http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/news/first-drive/first-drive-mg3-style/

(Added 5/9/13) MSN:

The dashboard is a marked step up in design over that in the bigger MG6, looking integrated and well thought out. There is a stylish stereo unit, with DAB radio as standard, and for £30 you can add a neat phone accessory for the dashboard top.
    MG3 launched to press at Bognor Regis 3/9/2013 9F80F365E53EE1D319B613F3E9D6B

http://cars.uk.msn.com/reviews/mg3-review-2013-onwards-1

Added 6/9/13: Ken Gibson, The Sun, not online:

The interior is smart, with two chequered main instrument dials in front of the driver and a clean and refreshingly uncomplicated centre console.

Review - by "BT"?

I pop into the evening's hotel to drop some bags off, and a decorator at work next to the lift pipes up. "You with the MG lot?" he says, and I reply with a brief explanation in the affirmative. "Nice little cars aren't they," he states matter-of-factly before turning back to the wall he's painting fuchsia. He's right - the MG3 really is a good-looking hatch.
    http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/motoring/motoringfeatures/first-drive-mg-mg3-11363832043306

Top Gear:

As far as cheap motoring goes, the MG3 is right up there with the best that Dacia can offer. It drives well, it's got all the kit you'd want, it makes sense.
    But that engine is a real deal-breaker It strangles what's otherwise a perfectly acceptable supermini.
    http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/First-drive-MG3-20130-09-05

Autocar:

Yes, the dashboard is hard-feel, but it’s pleasingly grained, the seat trim is subtly imaginative and much of the detail design, such as the stereo and air-conditioning controls, is of modest surprise and delight calibre.*

* No, “modest surprise and delight calibre” is not autotranslate from the Chinese... Wink

Last edited by patpending on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:34 am; edited 6 times in total
    Dorset Rocket

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2011-05-20

MG3 launched to press at Bognor Regis 3/9/2013 Empty Re: MG3 launched to press at Bognor Regis 3/9/2013

Post by Dorset Rocket Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:41 pm

I see that Autocar are putting the 3 up against the DS3 and Fiat 500 in a group test next week. Not sure 'modest surprise and delight calibre' will be enough to beat those two but I do hope it at least helps put the MG in a strong and not a distant third position..
    patpending
    patpending

MG3 launched to press at Bognor Regis 3/9/2013 Empty Re: MG3 launched to press at Bognor Regis 3/9/2013

Post by patpending Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:05 pm

Dorset Rocket wrote:I see that Autocar are putting the 3 up against the DS3 and Fiat 500 in a group test next week. Not sure 'modest surprise and delight calibre' will be enough to beat those two but I do hope it at least helps put the MG in a strong and not a distant third position..
    Is the Fiat 500 in the same price range as the DS3? I've just priced up a 105PS VW Polo. It's a little faster than the MG3 but costs £17k to the 3 STYLE's 10.5ish with graphics.

I could see me liking the idea of a DS3 or a Mini but doing it for two thirds of the price.
    Morris Motors

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

Post by Morris Motors Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:49 am

Something occurs to me - I read those reviews which are a bit light on enthusiasm - a sudden chill comes over me when I recall thinking MG might try and flog these for £12-15k..

*shudder*
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:00 am

Morris Motors wrote:Something occurs to me - I read those reviews which are a bit light on enthusiasm - a sudden chill comes over me when I recall thinking MG might try and flog these for £12-15k..

*shudder*
    you mean that MG might have tried that price level? One of the reviews notes there are enormous discounts in this class and MG is starting with a much lower list than I had thought it would.

I note that there are several mentions of Dacia but always that "MG is better than that".

The lack of infrastructure is a big issue - Avis said they don't want any more for that reason IIRC.

One thing - if you can buy two 3s for the list of a 6, the 6 is overpriced.
    Morris Motors

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

Post by Morris Motors Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:32 am

Yes - imagine those reviews if the prices started at £10k and ended at £14/15k etc - they would be dead in the water. Again. So well done MG for swallowing their pride a bit and taking the plunge. This is surely the car that the dealers cannot fail to shift. If they are still bumping along with sales of 20-30 per month then the dealers deserve to go bust!

If the 6 is due for a facelift, that's the time they need to do something about the price. I'd still love a diesel Magnette in gunmetal though...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 9:02 pm