MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

MG EV (Dynamo?) prototype being track tested at Silverstone - MG90

patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

MG EV (Dynamo?) prototype being track tested at Silverstone - MG90 Empty MG EV (Dynamo?) prototype being track tested at Silverstone - MG90

Post by patpending Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:26 pm

*Definitely* not a diesel as it goes past - though at the speed it was going, tyre noise was louder than the hum of the engine...

MG EV (Dynamo?) prototype being track tested at Silverstone - MG90 DSCN1771_zpsae710cd9

(future racer!)

MG EV (Dynamo?) prototype being track tested at Silverstone - MG90 DSCN1772_zps8129451d
    Magnette

Number of posts : 93
    Registration date : 2014-02-26

MG EV (Dynamo?) prototype being track tested at Silverstone - MG90 Empty Re: MG EV (Dynamo?) prototype being track tested at Silverstone - MG90

Post by Magnette Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:02 am

I like these. I wonder what the price will be? It can only be a matter of time before they are launched officially.
    patpending
    patpending

MG EV (Dynamo?) prototype being track tested at Silverstone - MG90 Empty Re: MG EV (Dynamo?) prototype being track tested at Silverstone - MG90

Post by patpending Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:05 am

The issue on EVs is the cost of the batteries and their range. Do I recall correctly a figure of 18 kWh of battery storage under the floor? There is certainly plenty of room for two people in the front and there are rear seats. EDIT MG's man on the spot said how it would charge and I got it wrong. It recharges in 6h from a standard 13A socket and much faster from say 15% to say 80% in just half an hour from a three-phase(?) 400V connection.

I know someone on a MB was looking for a car for a twice-daily 5 mile commute and we were saying "pushbike?" but the outward leg was at 3.30am - ideal for an electric car. A petrol would hardly get up to temperature, destroying its engine over the months, and it would be completely unsuitable for a diesel.

I'm sure I heard £8,500 though at that price there must be a rental deal on the batteries!

Last edited by patpending on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
    Magnette

Number of posts : 93
    Registration date : 2014-02-26

Post by Magnette Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:33 am

Well, big bucks available for the first manufacturer who gets an EV out there with mass market appeal (and price).
    Urban driving makes sense as power points are rolled out - they should put charging points at railway station carparks in rural areas - an ideal car to do the first and last leg of a commute in!
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Magnette wrote:Urban driving makes sense as power points are rolled out - they should put charging points at railway station carparks in rural areas - an ideal car to do the first and last leg of a commute in!
    We already have the problem where non-electric cars take up the charging spaces...
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:32 am

patpending wrote:
    We already have the problem where non-electric cars take up the charging spaces...
    I think while there are still only a small proportion of spaces with chargers it should be illegal for a vehicle incapable of using the charger to occupy the space. The government should also give the car park owner incentives to install the charging spaces by removing the taxes on the space, land and fuel just to get things moving.

I watched the Isle of Man TT a few weeks ago. The electric bikes were lapping the 35 mile mountain course at an average speed of 117 mph crossing the finish line flat out, last year they only just got over 100 mph average and were running out of power before the end. Everyday electric vehicles are not far away now, once the price is competitive there will be a huge and very quick switchover.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:51 am

mg-zs
    mg-zs

Number of posts : 166
    Registration date : 2009-02-06

Post by mg-zs Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:39 am

Not my thing.
    It hardly has any boot space.
    So time to swap from beer drinking to Whiskey lol
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:53 am

mg-zs wrote:Not my thing.
    It hardly has any boot space.
    So time to swap from beer drinking to Whiskey lol

horses for courses. I sat in one and closed the door and there was plenty of room in the front, like in a C1. A commuting car or perhaps a shopping car if you put your shopping on the back seat. It has to make sense for local trips!
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:56 am

Motoringresearch.com has this review:

http://www.motoringresearch.com/first-drive/mg-ev-concept-review-2014-first-drive-0630945039

Put aside images of tweed, country pubs and chrome-laced convertibles. Say hello to MGs of the future – and they’re electric.
    The price is likely to make or break the 2014 MG EV Concept if it ever goes on sale. Even with the £5,000 government grant for electric cars, none are [sic] particularly cheap.

Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:40 am

patpending wrote:
    motoringresearch wrote:
    Better than a BMW i3, we reckon.

Should BMW be worried?

Twisted Evil 
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:25 pm

Windy wrote:
    Should BMW be worried?

Twisted Evil 

How big a car is the i3? It's a positive comment.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:13 am

patpending wrote:
    Windy wrote:
    Should BMW be worried?

Twisted Evil 

How big a car is the i3? It's a positive comment.
    Seems to be quite a lot bigger and comes with 19" wheels!

Also comes with coloured paint, although you have to make do with a traditional BMW black bonnet and roof.

Aircon controls look very plasticy and small to me but I guess being a BMW it is still counted as luxury plastic.

And the owner has found quite a lot wrong with it, such as not being able to see through the windscreen due to reflections:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/07/01/owner-review-bmw-i3-rex-likesdislikes/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 8:16 pm