MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
rantell
Magnette
Windy
7 posters

Chen Hong: MG goes big, goes racing, gets new engines, gets new sports car

Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Chen Hong: MG goes big, goes racing, gets new engines, gets new sports car  Empty Chen Hong: MG goes big, goes racing, gets new engines, gets new sports car

Post by Windy Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:32 am

SAIC chairman Chen Hong took office and another shot at Roewe and MG separate operations

"MG Not only do big, bigger to do." While at the helm for less than two months, new SAIC chairman Chen Hong of this idea has been proposed many times in the SAIC internal meeting.

Reporters learned that, according to Chen Hong's plan, will operate separately from the Roewe and MG, and MG is likely to introduce an international team to operate.

As the new leader of SAIC, SAIC Chen Hong's task is to make bigger and stronger, and MG brand from England, in fact, holding a baby in my hand SAIC. MG in overseas markets have a good customer base, only MG Club members on more than 40 million, as long as one hundredth able to buy MG again, you can directly make SAIC brand tripled.

However, MG brand again return SAIC also requested the owners and home users Roewe mainly different, MG owners especially international owners, a group of people who understand the car the car, they have their own understanding of the MG brand, the pursuit of speed and passion, let MG return, SAIC addition to the marketing to meet the needs of these consumers, but also a breakthrough products and technologies.

● Copy Universal Volkswagen division mode

In recent years, the rapid development of the SAIC brand is also facing the ceiling. 2013, SAIC own car brand is still growing at a rate of 15%, to 230,000, but the growth rate is relatively slow. Auto companies 200,000 is a threshold, many companies to 200,000 after will enter a period of adjustment, SAIC is no exception.

"SAIC is fully developing the condition again leap, SAIC palm bumped a best hand, but has not yet been out." SAIC insiders told reporters, now this card is just around the corner.

This card is the mouth of the insiders MG. Currently, the ratio between the MG and Roewe is 1:3, ie, MG currently just over 60,000 vehicles sold. The turn over of MG, such sales do not be justified.

While in 2005 because the British ROVER bankruptcy, it will be packaged and sold assets NAC MG, however, MG in British history is indeed a once very brilliant brand.

"Chen mentioned many times, to MG independent." SAIC insiders, the so-called independent, that is, such as Shanghai Volkswagen and Shanghai GM as brand building division, the direct responsibility of the Minister of brand division of the brand.

Currently, SAIC passenger cars have dual brand Roewe and MG-sale terminals only by the respective sales director accountable, from planning and development to the market and the public relations are merged. The main purpose of the operation was to intensive integration of resources and accelerate profitable.

By the end of 2007, SAIC integrated NAC. With the advancement of the integration process, in February 2009, NAC MG brand has been integrated double. MG and Roewe integration time in order to better integrate the two brands. Shanghai Automotive will Roewe and MG passenger MG implement and net sales, a dealer can sell at the same time, MG and Roewe brands models, SAIC's passenger car 4s shop will wrap labeled "Shanghai Automotive + Wal-wing MG LOGO . "

At that time the two brands are not powerful enough resources, operations separately, more dispersed resources, is likely to face two brands do not up the case. The merger is able to reduce administrative costs, improve operational efficiency, promote two independent brands to accelerate profitable process.

● comprehensive rejuvenation law

Make a new brand is not an easy task, especially an independent brand. Since starting from low domestic brands to give consumers the impression left inferior low-cost, independent brand premium is generally low, which also makes SAIC spared difficult. Even SAIC chose to hold high-end high hit start, but profitability is not high, executive vice president, general manager of passenger car company SAIC SAIC brand Chih-Hsin Chen raised several times profit plan and ultimately profitable missed.

"SAIC is guarding Jinshan starving!" SAIC executives also sigh. However, the timing of the revival of MG is needed, one consumer's identity, the past two years, the market environment has changed, after Geely acquired VOLVO, we do not believe that Mr. Li is independent revival VOLVO shifted the road.

In addition, SAIC's own brand of technology to greatly enhance the technical capacity of the MG brand with the recovery movement genes. Two months ago, SAIC issued a new generation called "CUBE-TECH" full-line direct injection engine, which means that SAIC become the Chinese automobile industry, while the capture of the first efficient engines and advanced automatic transmission auto companies. SAIC plans to the end of the year listed MG Chevrolet pioneered the use of the technology, the new 1.4T engine assembly, after which the new powertrain technology will be rolled out on SAIC's full line product.

Currently, SAIC has developed a series of products to revitalize the local market MG program. Gradually introduced in the UK market in the MG6 and MG3 diesel version later, SAIC and especially for the 2015 MG TROPHY Challenge to build a racing version of the MG3, hopes to return to the track version SAIC MG MG fans back to the line of sight . The listing of the upcoming September MG GT, the preliminary investigation is under way into the UK market. In addition, equipped with 1.5T and 2.0T engines MG brand new sports car will be officially unveiled in 2020 and prior to mass production.

"MG British brand will be further strengthened." Insider, while dual-brand Roewe between definition and will also be more clear.
    Source: http://auto.jrj.com.cn/2014/07/09150717570101.shtml
    Magnette

Number of posts : 93
    Registration date : 2014-02-26

Chen Hong: MG goes big, goes racing, gets new engines, gets new sports car  Empty Re: Chen Hong: MG goes big, goes racing, gets new engines, gets new sports car

Post by Magnette Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:47 am

Well that's encouraging! MG3 Trophy is all but confirmed, the MG GT possibly for the UK and a sports car in the pipeline.

I think they are realising that they can't just shift cars by osmosis and are actually now going to get aggressive in their expansion. Good news.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Chen Hong: MG goes big, goes racing, gets new engines, gets new sports car  Empty Re: Chen Hong: MG goes big, goes racing, gets new engines, gets new sports car

Post by Windy Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:06 am

Magnette wrote:Well that's encouraging! MG3 Trophy is all but confirmed, the MG GT possibly for the UK and a sports car in the pipeline.

I think they are realising that they can't just shift cars by osmosis and are actually now going to get aggressive in their expansion. Good news.
    Should not overlook the fact that this comes only a week after Chen Hong signed a deal with venture capitalists in Silicon Valley and only a day after he signed a deal with CITIC Group and while we don't know the details of those deals, it is likely that they will provide the sort of investment money that Chen Hong was unable to raise from SAIC's shareholders even though it is the worlds 85th largest company, the sort of money that cant be spent overnight but needs 5 years effort, and of course Silicon Valley is in the USA.  As he said, big news Smile
    rantell

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2014-05-17

Post by rantell Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:47 am

this all seems very exciting does this mean we might get the 5, face lifted 6, 3 diesel, gt and the cs all in a year or two and does this mean the sports car is officially confirmed Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy .
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:38 am

rantell wrote:this all seems very exciting does this mean we might get the 5, face lifted 6, 3 diesel, gt and the cs all in a year or two and does this mean the sports car is officially confirmed Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy .    
    I've not heard anything of the MG5 being sold in the UK.

The CS, yes, but there is no date yet, even for China it is looking like next spring now.

The face lift 6, ignoring rumours I've not heard anything, it's not really selling well enough to be worth while and petrol engine emissions are too high for the new regulations.  Is it really worth bringing a facelift just for the diesel?

The 3 diesel is being evaluated, doesn't mean it is certain to come, depends on if they think it can be profitable.  I'm not sure what the market is for a diesel car of MG3 size these days?

The GT is being evaluated, I guess it is very likely to come to the UK, possibly as a replacement for the petrol MG6 since being smaller and lighter it can use the new SGE petrol engines which will comply with emissions regulations.

I think we can take this article to mean that the sports car is very likely to appear on the given date.  It doesn't say when it will go on sale though so they are leaving themselves some flexibility.
    Magnette

Post by Magnette Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:51 am

Surely the UK MG3 being rolled out to all markets shows that they don't keep making 'territory specific' bumper and lamp arrangements?
    Roverman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2010-02-12

Post by Roverman Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:26 pm

I was told to expect CS within the next 18 months at MG90
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:49 pm

Magnette wrote:Surely the UK MG3 being rolled out to all markets shows that they don't keep making 'territory specific' bumper and lamp arrangements?
    True, but if they update the UK MG6 with the latest facelift then it will have to go through EU testing again which will cost so if they don't expect a decent return in increased sales they may wait until the next facelift which like the last may arrive in the UK first...

At the moment, I don't think we know what the plans for the UK MG6 are.
    rantell

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2014-05-17

Post by rantell Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:44 am

so what this new boss is doing is speeding up everything so we might actually get some cars here in the UK quickly  Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    mg-zs
    mg-zs

Number of posts : 166
    Registration date : 2009-02-06

Post by mg-zs Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:30 am

Again only words.
    I wane see results.
    And they are very poor.
    And time is running out.
    Magnette

Post by Magnette Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:00 am

Windy wrote:
    Magnette wrote:Surely the UK MG3 being rolled out to all markets shows that they don't keep making 'territory specific' bumper and lamp arrangements?
    True, but if they update the UK MG6 with the latest facelift then it will have to go through EU testing again which will cost so if they don't expect a decent return in increased sales they may wait until the next facelift which like the last may arrive in the UK first...

At the moment, I don't think we know what the plans for the UK MG6 are.

I suppose they could build up stock of current MG6 'kits' at Longbridge quite easily, based on current run rates, enough to see the UK market through for a year or two until the MG GT or CS arrive.

It would be a thoroughly retrograde step to go back to being a single model manufacturer again. Also the BTCC is helping their image enormously; an MG3 Trophy series isn't nearly as useful as a publicity tool if it doesn't get televised like the Clio Cup.
    mg-zs
    mg-zs

Post by mg-zs Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:39 pm

Well from what I heard the petrol MG6 cars are just rotten away outside in Longbridge.
    Very poor sight Sad
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:46 am

mg-zs wrote:Well from what I heard the petrol MG6 cars are just rotten away outside in Longbridge.
    Very poor sight Sad
    There are a lot of people who like to post negative things about modern MGs, so it is very easy to "hear" bad things from "insiders" who "know". I have even seen a handful of MG3s standing at Longbridge awaiting PDI and delivery shown as "proof" of a car mountain! I even photographed one at PoL which was delivered the following week!

The batch assembly method has seemed to create delivery delays rather than a glut of stock. That said, we are now only a few weeks from the "64" reg change, so dealer stocks are rising...

Last edited by patpending on Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:55 am

David Knowles in the August 2014 edition of MGE:

"...the forthcoming facelift for the MG6, due later this year...will see the new 2.0-litre Direct Injection [petrol] engine fitted under the bonnet along with a number of subtle changes... For the first time in the UK there may also be the option of a new dual-clutch semi-auto transmission alongside SAIC's in-house six-speed manual."
    Magnette

Post by Magnette Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:10 am

I think the vibe from China now is that they are listening to the market, the customers and the press and push MG. Dumping the MG6 because they need to get type approval for revised headlamps etc doesn't make sense.
    mg-zs
    mg-zs

Post by mg-zs Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:57 am

patpending wrote:
    mg-zs wrote:Well from what I heard the petrol MG6 cars are just rotten away outside in Longbridge.
    Very poor sight Sad
    There are a lot of people who like to post negative things about modern MGs, so it is very easy to "hear" bad things from "insiders" who "know". I have even seen a handful of MG3s standing at Longbridge awaiting PDI and delivery shown as "proof" of a car mountain! I even photographed one at PoL which was delivered the following week!

The batch assembly method has seemed to create delivery delays rather than a glut of stock. That said, we are now only a few weeks from the "64" reg change, so dealer stocks are rising...

Trust me. This is deffo true.
    If they really wane sell cars.
    They have to step up from 1st to 5th gear.
    As 200 a month does not cut it.
    Like I sad a lot of times.
    There are LHD MG3/6 cars.
    Then sell them to Europe.
    Go to Europe motor shows.
    Let the world know what MG has for cars.
    But instead we only get words.
    So that brings some negative reactions
    snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

Post by snifferdog1 Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:03 pm

I agree with MG-ZS to an extent.

Being an MG enthusiast is extremely frustrating, we hear rumours of things, we see spy shots of things etc etc and all we really end up with is a one page ad in the paper and 200 sales a month.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:56 am

snifferdog1 wrote:I agree with MG-ZS to an extent.

Being an MG enthusiast is extremely frustrating, we hear rumours of things, we see spy shots of things etc etc and all we really end up with is a one page ad in the paper and 200 sales a month.
    And if you live where MG-ZS lives then it is much worse! Although he could come over the water and buy one here.

I don't think the comment "the petrol MG6 cars are just rotten away outside in Longbridge." is correct though. They have always built them in batches and so there has always been a stockpile sitting waiting for buyers. They seem to have built enough in the last batch to last until the end of the current petrol model so maybe the stockpile is bigger than normal to give them time to prepare the production lines for whatever is next.

I don't understand why Europe is taking so long when the cars are already to Euro specification so all they need to do is appoint dealers, it's almost as though they don't want to sell too many.
    mg-zs
    mg-zs

Post by mg-zs Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:08 am

We can import from East-Europe.
    But then its costing to much.
    Magnette

Post by Magnette Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:23 am

Windy wrote:I don't understand why Europe is taking so long when the cars are already to Euro specification so all they need to do is appoint dealers, it's almost as though they don't want to sell too many.

Perhaps they are waiting for the MG6 facelift? Even though they are low volume, they can't produce 2014 publicity materials for other markets only to dump them when the 2015MY comes out? Also if the lamps and bumpers are changing, that's another set of spares a new distribution network needs to carry for a miniscule number of cars.
    snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

Post by snifferdog1 Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:19 pm

.....they may even be waiting for more models to become available to really attack the market?

MG Dynamo and MG CS?!

Would be good to go back into Europe with a full range.

patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:05 pm

snifferdog1 wrote:.....they may even be waiting for more models to become available to really attack the market?

MG Dynamo and MG CS?!

Would be good to go back into Europe with a full range.

...and the GT (for Scandinavia and Poland). and a sportscar?

they can't keep waiting for ever!
    mg-zs
    mg-zs

Post by mg-zs Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:27 pm

Magnette wrote:
    Also if the lamps and bumpers are changing, that's another set of spares a new distribution network needs to carry for a miniscule number of cars.

X-part is still alive .
    So stock it there.
    You need parts anyway for Europe.
    Magnette

Post by Magnette Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:30 am

X-Part isn't directly associated with MG Motor though is it?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:01 am

mg-zs wrote:We can import from East-Europe.
    Isn't it easier to get it from the UK as you then don't have to import it to the EU and pay import tax and don't have to have it tested to make sure it meets EU specification (which it may not).

Not sure if they have to provide LHD cars if you buy it from the UK, if we want to buy a Ford from your Ford dealer then I believe they have to supply Right Hand Drive if requested.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:03 am

Magnette wrote:X-Part isn't directly associated with MG Motor though is it?
    No, and they don't do MG6 parts, but I think they took over the MG Motor MG TF parts supply? So they could do the same for the MG6 when it goes out of production.
    mg-zs
    mg-zs

Post by mg-zs Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:16 am

X-parts have most MG stuff.
    Like Zr/Zs/Zt

Windy wrote:
    mg-zs wrote:We can import from East-Europe.
    Isn't it easier to get it from the UK as you then don't have to import it to the EU and pay import tax and don't have to have it tested to make sure it meets EU specification (which it may not).

Not sure if they have to provide LHD cars if you buy it from the UK, if we want to buy a Ford from your Ford dealer then I believe they have to supply Right Hand Drive if requested.

We always need to pay import tax for cars outside Holland.
    Not sure about that's supply rule.
    As I doubt there will be a 90th MG3/6 LHD
    Magnette

Post by Magnette Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:54 am

mg-zs wrote:X-parts have most MG stuff.
    Like Zr/Zs/Zt

X-part was the parts division set up by MGR back in the early 2000s to run their spares division, then they spun it off to run independently. Hence they carry spares for the Z-cars; X-Part are as relevant to the current SAIC cars as Unipart (the old Leyland subsidiary) is - they can both source parts for SAIC models but there's no obligation. If MG Motor want to expand into new markets they are legally obliged to support their cars themselves for a certain period of time - if they launched a current model MG6 into Europe, that would mean they'd have to carry spares for them (for 6 years I think?). There is a difference between the manufacturer's supply chain and OEM parts suppliers who can change contracts as they see fit.

Given they only sell a few hundred MG6s a year in the UK where MG is a known brand, the figures for Europe would dictate that only models with the longest lifespan would be offered for sale in order to get the best return on the investment. A whole raft of publicity materials and marketing when the model is freshly facelifted would be far more economical than basically doing a launch and then junking it and doing it all over again for the MKII.
    mg-zs
    mg-zs

Post by mg-zs Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:00 am

Could be me.
    But last time I went to school.
    UK is in Europe.
    Hungary too.
    So that should not be a prob.
    Unless I see things wrong
    Magnette

Post by Magnette Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:35 am

mg-zs wrote:Could be me.
    But last time I went to school.
    UK is in Europe.
    Hungary too.
    So that should not be a prob.
    Unless I see things wrong

Mainland Europe has always been seen as a separate territory; different local rules (lamps, plates, winter tyres etc), different legal jurisdictions, different languages to all the publicity, different interior layout for LHD cars.. MG Motor don't even have an importer. You can buy one if you want of course...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 8:07 pm