MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
KCW Motorsport
adaveabbott
patpending
7 posters

What would you call the Longbridge MG6?

Poll

What name for the new UK MG6?

[ 6 ]
    What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Bar_left50%What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 1 ]
    What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Bar_left8%What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Bar_right [8%] 
    [ 5 ]
    What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Bar_left42%What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Bar_right [42%] 
    [ 0 ]
    What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Bar_left0%What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Bar_left0%What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 12
    Poll closed
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Empty What would you call the Longbridge MG6?

Post by patpending Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:16 am

What would you call it?

MG6 - same as China, though no history of the name

MG600 - same as the Chile/Belarus MGs, though a bit Rovery

MG Z something, e.g. ZV, though ZX and ZZ are coming up!*

MG new Magnette though last Magnette made 40 years ago...

Other - any other ideas?

*NB on the German market ZV would stand for Zentralverriegelung or central locking!
    adaveabbott

Number of posts : 190
    Registration date : 2009-02-24

What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Empty Re: What would you call the Longbridge MG6?

Post by adaveabbott Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:44 am

I would call it MG trail blazer or Path finder. As it tries re-establish itself in the world market.
    KCW Motorsport
    KCW Motorsport

Number of posts : 12
    Registration date : 2009-11-18

What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Empty Re: What would you call the Longbridge MG6?

Post by KCW Motorsport Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:51 am

adaveabbott wrote:I would call it MG trail blazer or Path finder. As it tries re-establish itself in the world market.

Not keen on that sounds like an American 4x4
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:00 am

KCW Motorsport wrote:
    adaveabbott wrote:I would call it MG trail blazer or Path finder. As it tries re-establish itself in the world market.

that's my reaction too. Isn't there already a Chevrolet called something like this?

PS Dave, hooray for your first post as we begin to look forward to a brand new MG model in 2010!
    KCW Motorsport
    KCW Motorsport

Post by KCW Motorsport Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:56 am

KCW Motorsport wrote:

Although the idea behind it is good enough to have fun with, I have voted for MG6 personally but would be good to hear some other ideas on Dave's theme.
    richardk
    richardk

Number of posts : 935
    Registration date : 2009-02-06

Post by richardk Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:59 am

Being me I want ytwo names...MG6 for the softer model and MGZ6 for the sporty one..or am I being greedy?

Anyone noticed lots of dandruff falling on the site?
    KCW Motorsport
    KCW Motorsport

Post by KCW Motorsport Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:01 am

richardk wrote:Being me I want ytwo names...MG6 for the softer model and MGZ6 for the sporty one..or am I being greedy?

Anyone noticed lots of dandruff falling on the site?
    Now then! That works for me like that.
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:08 am

And add to that MG6T and MGZ6T for the tourers What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Icon_cheers
    Z still oozes sportiness
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:23 am

Also - any thoughts on the levels withing the MG6 family......MG6S, SE, SL, GS, HLE, SiX What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Icon_mad
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:41 am

KCW Motorsport wrote:
    richardk wrote:Anyone noticed lots of dandruff falling on the site?
    Now then! That works for me like that.

The MG Head & Shoulders? What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Confused What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Icon_study What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Icon_jokercolor What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Icon_scratch What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Icon_cat What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Icon_porc
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:57 am

richardk wrote:Also - any thoughts on the levels withing the MG6 family......MG6S, SE, SL, GS, HLE, SiX What would you call the Longbridge MG6? Icon_mad

nowadays there is no base level without letters, it seems.

I presume all UK spec cars need many airbags, ABS, and a third brakelight by law. It would be best if ESP was standard across the range.

I like L for luxury and S for sport (GT, GTi, GTE always seem to be trying too hard and just end up pushing up the insurance).

There's no point trying to sell an MG with little equipment - I would imagine the basic car should also have a CD/MP3/iPod USB radio (make it DAB at low factory cost to get better press comment than square steering wheels or talking dashboards) and aircon...

That would be the LS.

Leather seats, satnav, climate control, rear parking camera (have we seen this?) - GLS (would come in smaller and larger engine variants)

Sports seats, satnav of all UK sports venues, blinger wheels, bigger engine - S

Don't know if there's a turbo but I am not going to suggest ST! could the "Abarth" equivalent be called "Dr. White's"? Laughing

Extras as above:

• Leather seats
    • Satnav
    • Climate control
    • Rear parking camera
    • Sports seats
    • Satnav of all UK sports venues
    • long warranty (I think this will be very important and must come as standard)
    plus

• Blinger wheels
    • Sunroof
    • Exhaust
    • some kind of bodykit?
    • External temperature gauge (very important)

may not be available:

• turning circle
    • mudflaps

Last edited by patpending on Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    ZTsteve
    ZTsteve

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2009-02-19

Post by ZTsteve Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:57 pm

I voted MG6, because that's what I'm used to it being called and it sounds good to me.

But MGZ6 is quite good too. I wonder if they would consider ZS, or would they want to keep more distance from the old range?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:51 pm

ZTsteve wrote:I voted MG6, because that's what I'm used to it being called and it sounds good to me.

But MGZ6 is quite good too. I wonder if they would consider ZS, or would they want to keep more distance from the old range?
    I think the names need to be international these days, it gets very confusing when you read a review of something from another country and it keeps using the wrong name! With Google searches being international it's something that happens quite often. Even adding an extension such as "Z" only in one country can be confusing, allthough if it is actually different then thats OK.

Don't think the Chinese model names, Comfort etc are suitable for the UK. Or the colour names - "Birmingham Orange"!
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:43 am

Windy wrote:I think the names need to be international these days, it gets very confusing when you read a review of something from another country and it keeps using the wrong name!
    this is particularly true of the Honda Jazz..,

Don't think the Chinese model names, Comfort etc are suitable for the UK. Or the colour names - "Birmingham Orange"!
    remember the James Bond connection with the TF. How about Secret Agent Orange? Laughing

Giving the trim levels names is very tricky. After all, the word "Connoisseur" is a relic from 16th century French - just try googling for it and see what you can find!...

(spelt correctly, Honest John comment on R75 at bottom of p1. but there are 126,000 matches for "conoisseur" - including dictionary definitions! Doh)
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:08 am

patpending wrote:
    Windy wrote:I think the names need to be international these days, it gets very confusing when you read a review of something from another country and it keeps using the wrong name!
    this is particularly true of the Honda Jazz..,
    Thankfully Wikipedia comes to the rescue:

Honda Jazz

The Honda Jazz nameplate has been used by Honda of Japan to denote several different motorized vehicles since 1982:

A 50 cc motorcycle introduced in 1986. Such a scooter (CHF50) still exists, and is currently on sale in Canada. The two models bear no relations to each other.

The Japanese-market name for the badge-engineered version of the Isuzu Mu ( Isuzu Amigo ) short wheelbase version, known elsewhere as the Opel Frontera, Holden Frontera, or Vauxhall Frontera.

The European-market name for the Honda City Mk I from 1982 to 1986, as City was already trademarked by Opel.

A five-door hatchback automobile introduced in June 2001. The vehicle is known as the Fit in Japan, China, as well as in both North and South America. It is called the Jazz in Europe, Oceania, the Middle East, South East Asia, India and Africa.

Was you talking about the motorcycle, or the scooter, or the Holden Frontera or the 5 door hatch? scratch
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:32 am

Windy wrote:Was you talking about the motorcycle, or the scooter, or the Holden Frontera or the 5 door hatch? scratch
    Honda Honda Honda - City City City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RPRG-69l64

Jazz? nice.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:37 am

Windy wrote:Don't think the Chinese model names, Comfort etc are suitable for the UK.
    is it VW that sells its options in high-margin packets, e.g. Trendline, Comfortline? These seem to be accepted.

Then again, we now have (had) cars with stupid names like Saxo, C5 and ST! Doh
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:31 am

re: multiple names.

The Mk1 Vauxhall Astra was the Kadett D, so the Mk2 Vauxhall Astra was the Mk1 Opel Astra etc.

How confusing was that?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:02 am

patpending wrote:re: multiple names.

The Mk1 Vauxhall Astra was the Kadett D, so the Mk2 Vauxhall Astra was the Mk1 Opel Astra etc.

How confusing was that?
    scratch I've got got lost there, I have enough trouble with the GM Daewoo Matiz being called the Chery QQ in China - in that case even the company names are different, always call it a QQ when I see one in the UK bom

What would you call the Longbridge MG6? CarCheryQQ What would you call the Longbridge MG6? 250px-Daewoo_Matiz

According to Wiki, it is also called:
    Chevrolet Spark
    Chevrolet Joy
    Pontiac Matiz
    Pontiac G2
    Chevrolet Exclusive
    FSO Matiz
    Chevrolet Taxi 7:24 Chronos
    UZ Daewoo Matiz (in Uzbekistan)
    ZTsteve
    ZTsteve

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2009-02-19

Post by ZTsteve Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:17 am

Windy wrote: I have enough trouble with the GM Daewoo Matiz being called the Chery QQ in China - in that case even the company names are different, always call it a QQ when I see one in the UK bom

What would you call the Longbridge MG6? CarCheryQQ What would you call the Longbridge MG6? 250px-Daewoo_Matiz

But that really was a different car, wasn't it? The QQ was a blatant rip-off of the Matiz, not the same car sold with a different name in another territory.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:36 am

ZTsteve wrote:
    Windy wrote: I have enough trouble with the GM Daewoo Matiz being called the Chery QQ in China - in that case even the company names are different, always call it a QQ when I see one in the UK bom

But that really was a different car, wasn't it? The QQ was a blatant rip-off of the Matiz, not the same car sold with a different name in another territory.
    But it was copied so accurately that it was the same, a door from one is a perfect fit on the other. Unlike a Chinese Ford Fiesta which although it is made by the same company comes with a boot and so is different.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:24 am

Frankenthread resurrection:

No-one went for Magnette.

Trim-wise, S is there but not TSE...
    Wasequiped
    Wasequiped

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2009-07-16

Post by Wasequiped Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:08 am

Now we know the "marketing angle" on model names what could the future cars be called?

MG6 Traveller (if an estate car version was made)
    MG7 Princess

suggestions for standard MG3 & MG5
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:26 am

Wasequiped wrote:Now we know the "marketing angle" on model names what could the future cars be called?

MG6 Traveller (if an estate car version was made)
    MG7 Princess

suggestions for standard MG3 & MG5
    There are the MG5 based SUV and MG5 based tourer to name too, and I guess the posibility of an MG5 saloon - a baby Magnette?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:31 am