MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Geely plans car sales in UK with "Emgrand" brand

patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Geely plans car sales in UK with "Emgrand" brand  Empty Geely plans car sales in UK with "Emgrand" brand

Post by patpending Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:33 am

Spotted in CCT by Martin Williams

http://www.chinacartimes.com/2011/08/19/geely-eager-to-enter-the-uk-market/

Geely are now also gearing up to take on the UK market with their Emgrand range, Geely will have to do a great amount of ground work before introducing the Emgrand range into the UK market – they will first work with their partners at LTI in the UK to start aftermarket services and auto part sales to the UK market and will eventually launch the Emgrand range of cars to UK markets.

The Emgrand series of vehicles are expected to undergo European Whole Vehicle Type Approval standards testing later this year and could be on the market as early as 2013. Geely have also been working on a series of small displacement diesel engines which are of course aimed at thrifty consumers in mature European and Australian markets.
    patpending
    patpending

Geely plans car sales in UK with "Emgrand" brand  Empty Re: Geely plans car sales in UK with "Emgrand" brand

Post by patpending Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:46 am

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8935912/Geely-cars-to-be-sold-in-the-UK.html

Chinese car-maker Geely will enter the UK market next year with a four-door saloon and five-door hatch set to cost about £10,000.

The Geely Emgrand EC7 is a similar size to Skoda's Octavia and will be powered by petrol engines in 1.5- and 1.8-litre capacities.

The cars, along with parts and servicing, will be distributed in the UK by Manganese Bronze Holdings plc (MBH) under the title of Geely Auto UK. An existing partnership between Geely and MBH involves building London black cabs in Coventry, where the headquarters of Geely Auto UK will also be based.

"...attractive purchases for retail and business user-chooser customers..." (Geely)

...models will be "well equipped" and sold with a five-year, 100,000-mile warranty.

Does Lord Paul of Stowe still work for Geely?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Geely plans car sales in UK with "Emgrand" brand  Empty Re: Geely plans car sales in UK with "Emgrand" brand

Post by Windy Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:26 am

patpending wrote:Does Lord Paul of Stowe still work for Geely?
    He moved on, and then moved on again, and then...

http://paulstowe.blogspot.com/

I suspect at the moment Geely are not doing much more than talking to gauge interest.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:21 pm

I just know that shares in Manganese Bronze crashed so badly they left the "big boys' club" at the Stock Exchange...
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:46 pm

patpending wrote:I just know that shares in Manganese Bronze crashed so badly they left the "big boys' club" at the Stock Exchange...
    I think Paul S. is the sort of person who moves on regularly whatever happens...
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Windy wrote:
    patpending wrote:I just know that shares in Manganese Bronze crashed so badly they left the "big boys' club" at the Stock Exchange...
    I think Paul S. is the sort of person who moves on regularly whatever happens...

I wasn't suggesting one was due to the other. Geely is a completely different kettle of fish from Manganese Bronze.
    MartinZT
    MartinZT

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2009-11-17

Post by MartinZT Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:44 am

IMOHO, Geely coming in at this price (reputedly £10k) with a car a little smaller than an MG6 is going to hurt not only their longer term image, but also the MG sales.

I don't believe it is necessary for MG to reduce their prices. They already offer a competetively priced car. However, MG will need to distinguish their pricing from that of Geely by playing on the heritage of the brand and the UK design and local capabilities.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:17 am

MartinZT wrote:IMOHO, Geely coming in at this price (reputedly £10k) with a car a little smaller than an MG6 is going to hurt not only their longer term image, but also the MG sales.

I don't believe it is necessary for MG to reduce their prices. They already offer a competetively priced car. However, MG will need to distinguish their pricing from that of Geely by playing on the heritage of the brand and the UK design and local capabilities.
    I think a Geely in the UK is more likely to compete with Lada than MG!

Looking at UK sales, it is not the cheapest cars that sell best, BMW has half the sales of Ford and Mercedes-Benz a third. Skoda and Hyundai only have half the sales of Mercedes-Benz and Suzuki who make decent cheap cars less than half of Skoda.

There are so many brands in the UK these days, walked up my street yesterday and every single car I saw was not just a different model but a different brand!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:17 am