MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

My recent purchase

garlum
    garlum

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2012-04-23

My recent purchase Empty My recent purchase

Post by garlum Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Some may know from the other forum that I've recently purchase a 6 GT TSE. This is her:

My recent purchase IMG_1406

My recent purchase IMG_1405

My recent purchase IMG_1404

My recent purchase IMG_1407

Lovely car. Responsive, great sharp turn in, good steering feedback. I'm loving it so far. My only negative is the brakes are lacking in feel for me. I don't know what others think of the brake pedal? My ZT I owned till I bought the 6 had a nice solid brake pedal. The 6 feels a bit spongey. Is it that the car's only done 2000 miles? But even if that is how the brake pedal is always going to be I'm sure I'll get used to it and it's not enough to spoil a superb car.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

My recent purchase Empty Re: My recent purchase

Post by Windy Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:10 pm

That looks like very shiny paint Smile

I've seen a few that had paint only slightly smoother than Fords paint but some are obviously very good. How does yours compare to this review from New Zealand? http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/features/motoring/6511931/MGs-Chinese-takeaway

PS I think you need a shiny new house to match the car Twisted Evil
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:21 pm

garlum wrote:The 6 feels a bit spongey. Is it that the car's only done 2000 miles?
    If it's actually spongey rather than just slow to bite or in need of a firm press then there could well be a bubble of air in the system - might be worth getting the brakes bled. Normaly brakes sort themselves out in a few hundred miles and then don't change much until the pads are very well worn or the brake fluid is changed. I haven't noticed many comments about spongey brakes.
    garlum
    garlum

Post by garlum Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:30 pm

Haha, that's outside my mums house. I have a new flat... couldn't afford or justify a house!

Yes, no complaints on the paint finish. Silky smooth. Bugger to keep black clean and shiny though.

With regards to the New Zealand review, I'd say I agree with much of it. The one slight negative that stood out was the referral to "the notchy gearbox" and yes when the gearbox is cold it is nothcy, bearing in mind my car's only done 2000 miles. Once it's warmed up though it's a slick gearchange. I think this is true of many, if not all, gearboxes.

It is a lovely drive. I'll copy and paste my comments from the other forum below so it's brought over!
    garlum
    garlum

Post by garlum Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:36 pm

My recent purchase IMG_1403

Yes, that's 41.5 MPG averaged over 228 miles of driving. Much of the driving was on cruise control set to 70mph with some overtaking and the odd bit of slow stuff thrown in. Fuel gauge looks pretty promising considering I'd done 228 miles already on this tank of fuel.

My recent purchase IMG_1402

I played about with the Sat Nav/Stereo system settings to change the background so it looks more sophisticated in my eye at least. It is a very sophisticated piece of kit in fact, it's just the standard background makes it look a little naff. So with a quick change of the settings it can be set to the above appearance. I made several calls while driving on the handsfree system which worked flawlessly with my iPhone. The SatNav is very easy to use, and got me from a part of the UK that I have never been to in my life back home with no dramas whatsoever. I liked the way it reduced the volume of my music (being played off a USB memory stick - cool) to tell me the next instruction rather than totally muting the music, that way you get the instruction without totally cutting off the music. I had the chance to play with BMWs iDrive system on an 07 5-series the other day. The BMW system is obviously very swanky, expensive looking and feeling, and quite a pain to use. The MG system has similar features, is more than likely about a tenth the cost to MG as the iDrive system is to BMW, but it works and it works well, plus it's really easy to use.

I just went back out in the 6 for a little joy ride - haven't done that since I had my Rover Coupe VVC. The engine is great fun to use, it loves to rev (reminds of another car I used to own Wink ). The car turns in sharply, the small steering wheel is lovely to use. I think the the only complaint at the moment is the brake pedal is a little spongier than I'm used to with the ZT, but that might be because the car's only done under 1900 miles, and I keep waving the key around the right hand side of the steering wheel till I remember it's on the left! I'll get used to it.

The thing I'm surprised at, and perhaps it's because I'm so used to driving diesels, is how much power there seems to be bearing in mind some people have said the 6 seems underpowered. It feels pretty potent to me. Up around 5000 revs and beyond and it takes off.

I got a rebate (less an admin fee of course - insurance companies, when have they ever not made a profit?!) on my insurance changeover from ZT CDTi to MG6 equivalent to 30% of the ZTs premium. The diesel ZT was already cheap to insure, and the 6 is a good wedge cheaper again.

The interior lighting in the night is gorgeous. Reminds me a little of my A6 I used to own, but not as boring as the A6 which was lit red everywhere. The MG6 uses red lighting to good effect without it dominating the interior. The brochure shots of the interior lighting do it no justice.

A couple of things I didn't realise about the TSE until I bought:

-power folding mirrors by pressing and holding left and right selector buttons at same time.
    -the glove box is damped for smooth opening which is attention to detail I've been led to not expect by the motoring press.

Also, the engine at all legal speeds is quiet and smooth. At 70mph it sits at 2600rpm happily pulling up even the steepest of motorway inclines without struggling. It is reasonably torquey low down the rev range, and then takes off at about 5000rpm - feels like variable valve kicking in. The engine is nice and vocal when you give it the beans, exhaust is not though which is probably a good thing for everyday driving. In fact I've listened to the exhaust note while a colleague gave the car a little rev, and it is in fact reasonably vocal for a stock exhaust. I think due to the fact it's so far away from you as the driver and there's so much car between you and it that it's not heard from the drivers seat.

Something else I hadn't expected was solid indicator and wiper stalks. Again the impression the motoring press have given is that they'd be flimsy but they are well weighted and a good solid action without needing to be chunky as they are in the ZT. They're not quite as good feeling as the ZTs but they are definitely more than capable.

And one last thing that's just come to mind is the handbrake. Not once have I jammed my thumb like the video reviews and press say you will do! It's really simple, you use your trigger finger to pull the trigger while gripping the handle with your fingers and thumb. Your thumb is in fact in a more natural place to be when pull or pushing on something. It's not at all awkward to use, in fact it's easier to use than a traditional handbrake. All I can say is thank goodness it has a handbrake because the electronic ones coming out on cars now really are fiddly to use. The 6s hill start assist is a nice feature too. Works well and is a better combination - manual handbrake and hill assist - than the new Astras electronic handbrake and hill assist system which drags the back end down until the brake releases and takes a lot of getting used to.

The trip computer, which has many other uses, has a digital speedo function which is nice, but the bit I found really good was underneath your current speed it tells you the speed limit of the road you are on, and it flashes the speed limit information when you breach this limit - it's not in your face flashing so it doesn't annoy you constantly, but it is very useful if you're in an area you're unfamiliar with and are not sure of the speed limits imposed.

The MG6 is a giant leap in technology over previous generations of MGs. It even shows up modern competitors like the latest Astra. The appeal of this particular car will expand dramatically when the diesel arrives and perhaps smaller, cleaner petrol engines too.

The MG6 has a feature that of all the cars I've every owned only one other had it - my Audi A6 - which is the so called "lazy open" "lazy close" feature. Press and hold the unlock button on the key all the windows wind down fully. Press and hold lock and all windows close fully.

There are so many features that for the first time that I've owned a car I am going to read the user manual as there are probably many more I haven't discovered yet.

Additional feature I discovered today is that your music volume is automatically lowered enough to hear the parking sensors when reverse is selected. Volume resumes to previously set level when sensors are deactivated by driving forwards and a certain speed is exceeded (something like a few miles per hour I believe). Very nifty and a nice touch.

Everyone who has seen the car so far have described it as everything from "very nice" to "stunning". No bad comments or even indifferent comments as yet. Quite a different reception to the ZT which people either loved or laughed at. Not that I'm bothered about other peoples opinions mind you, but it is encouraging that people are very positive about it. Virtually everyone who has seen it wasn't aware MG was alive and kicking. MG need to work on an awareness campaign, perhaps more so when additional models/engines arrive.

garlum
    garlum

Post by garlum Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:42 pm

Windy wrote:
    garlum wrote:The 6 feels a bit spongey. Is it that the car's only done 2000 miles?
    If it's actually spongey rather than just slow to bite or in need of a firm press then there could well be a bubble of air in the system - might be worth getting the brakes bled. Normaly brakes sort themselves out in a few hundred miles and then don't change much until the pads are very well worn or the brake fluid is changed. I haven't noticed many comments about spongey brakes.

I think it's just that it's a little slow to bite. The ZT brake pedal was hard and the brakes were there instantly. The 6 brake pedal seems a bit more "progressive" and not so meaty under foot. I might pop along to a local dealer on the weekend and ask their opinion. I did like the ZTs meaty brake pedal :-)
    MartinZT
    MartinZT

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2009-11-17

Post by MartinZT Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Welcome to 6 ownership and get yourself to the MG6 Register event this weekend starting at Longbridge on Saturday at 12.30pm. http://www.mgcc.co.uk/mg-news/mg-club-news/1857-mg6-register-anniversary-event.html

If you do Facebook, you can also find us on there as the MG6 Register. Still loving our 6 and I have seen about 5 of them in the last month (all Avis) so the exclusivity factor is fading fast!

I also ran a ZT V6 160 for 7 years and the one area the 6 lacks is the ability to stand on its nose when you hit the brakes like the ZT did. But, given they share the same PCD and tyre size, I wonder if the 190's brakes could be retrofitted? The kind of speed the 6 can do on a country lane means decent brakes are essential and the ZT inpsired more confidence in that regard even if the 6 feels more nimble through the corners.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Might just be the brake pad material then, the MGR OEM pads were/are very good even when cold. Don't expect anyone has had a chance to experiment with alternatives for an MG6 yet though!
    garlum
    garlum

Post by garlum Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:05 pm

MartinZT wrote:Welcome to 6 ownership and get yourself to the MG6 Register event this weekend starting at Longbridge on Saturday at 12.30pm.

I've seen the MG6 Register posted up previously but I won't be able to attend Saturday due to prior commitments. But I've been looking at the BTCC calender to see when/where I can get to. We could possibly cross paths at Thruxton come race day!
    MartinZT
    MartinZT

Post by MartinZT Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:16 pm

Re the pad material, that could be partly it, but in reality the brake discs are small on the 6 compared to the ZT 190, and even compared to the smaller discs of the 160/75, so given the 6 weighs more than a ZT I fail to see how the brakes could be as good as a ZT with such small discs, all other things being equal.

Garlum, I am hoping to get to Thruxton but will have to see how the planning goes, I haven't booked tickets yet.

A few points to note re the 6:
    The bootlid needs to be firmly closed otherwise the car won't lock properly or you will get an alarm on the dash when driving. Wind the rubber buffers in a few turns as that helps.
    The coolant alarm float needs changing as the original can wedge in the bottle and give a false alarm. A taller version is now being fitted. Saying that, watch the coolant level anyway, ours was going down over a few thousand miles thanks to a clip not properly fitted but sorted now.
    The alarm head unit will be replaced as the alarm can sound off if a chav drives passed with a phat zorst on his pimped Rova.
    Otherwise, the notchy gearbox doesn't get any better, but just be steady and firm, not quick, especially 1st into 2nd. The clutch pedal on ours has a tiny squeak, but never noticed it until my wife said it had (I must be revving the engine too hard to hear it!)
    Overall, I have to say I really enjoy our 6 and can only sing the praises of MG and our dealer in looking after ours, especially last July when it was hit on the side.
    Oh, and have you found the extra storage box that is hidden?
    garlum
    garlum

Post by garlum Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:19 pm

The one under the passenger seat?! I read about it in the manual, then found it this weekend gone. Handy cubby for bits n bobs! Assuming this is the one you're referring to?
    MartinZT
    MartinZT

Post by MartinZT Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:28 pm

Yes, that's the one.

The boot well is quite deep, too, useful for a few extra bits.

I actually fitted a bonnet from a 1968 MG 1300 in the back of my 6, and it was only because I didn't want to damage the interior or the bonnet that I folded the rear seats to get it in otherwise it would have fitted.

I guess you have tried all the menu set-up functions, too? That was fun discovering the setup and also changing the welcome screen photo. We have a photo of the model MG6 that we were sent by MG as the welcome photo, now.

I tried a 32GB flash key in the USB slot but it would not read it all, but it seems to work fine with a 4GB key.

The sat-nav needs updating though, some of the speed limits are now incorrect for our area and also the speed limit display doesn't always work on certain roads.

The hill-hold assist is the best feature as far as my wife is concerned but it only works when in 1st facing uphill or reverse facing downhill. The facelift will get an electric handbrake, I believe, looking at the photos of the Roewe 550.

garlum
    garlum

Post by garlum Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:47 pm

The boot is so big that I felt a little embarassed when I put my shopping in there, my £100 shop looked lost in the vast expanse.

I've got a 4Gb USB stick with my music on. It's the biggest memory stick I own. I'm a firm believer that you can have too much of a good thing. Too much music on one storage device can mean spending forever trying to find the track you like best.

My parents Astra has an electronic handbrake. I personally don't rate them. I wouldn't reject a car if it had one, but I wouldn't particularly choose one. As you can see in the photos I've parked my car outside Mum and Dads several times on a fairly steep hill, and I find the 6s handbrake very strong and simple to use. I don't really understand why people say you get your thumb trapped. People just seem to nit pick when anything strays from the norm.

The sat nav has worked well for me so far. I know what you mean about some of the speed limits, though I think that's just a limitation of how much maintainable information can be fed into a database. I've only noticed the lack of speed limit info on small side streets where I don't need that information. It is difficult for Sat Navs to keep up with the constant tinkering of speeds limits.

Yeah, I've had a play with the entertainment system. Changed a few settings as I wasn't keen on the red octagon display. I haven't had a huge amount of time to sit in the car and fully get to know the system yet though. Work is keeping me far too busy at the moment!

And yes, hill hold is useful. I'm not a huge fan of too many assistance features when it comes to driving but a simple feature like hill hold that doesn't interfere too much with every day driving is a nice to have. I think the conditions you've stated that it works in are really the only conditions you would require hill hold otherwise it could become an interference.

I've got my air compressor in the tyre well along with something else I can't remember... swear I put something else in there. There is loads of space down there to store things away. It's really a massive car all things considered. To think I vaguely considered a Kia Proceed (don't laugh, I was a bit desperate at the time!) 1600 auto for more money than I paid for my MG6. I'd have kicked myself if I'd gone through with it.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:56 pm

MartinZT wrote:Re the pad material, that could be partly it, but in reality the brake discs are small on the 6 compared to the ZT 190, and even compared to the smaller discs of the 160/75, so given the 6 weighs more than a ZT I fail to see how the brakes could be as good as a ZT with such small discs, all other things being equal.
    Small disks just mean that they are easier to overheat as there is less material to absorb the heat and less surface area to get rid of it, there is no reason they shouldn't be just as sharp until they do overheat. Although it could be that the pad material is compromised to cope with them getting very hot so doesn't work so well when cold.

Re: 32GB flash key

32GB is the smallest size to use the newer larger file system, you will probably find that 16GB works fine and some but not all 32GB work OK while larger ones don't.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:03 pm

garlum wrote:My parents Astra has an electronic handbrake. I personally don't rate them. I wouldn't reject a car if it had one, but I wouldn't particularly choose one.
    I realy disliked the last hired Astra I had because of that finger brake - first problem was that I had to cut my fingernail before I could put it on! Plus I managed to accidently shake it off just by jumping into the drivers seat, then couldn't put it back on because the car was now rolling down the hill at faster than maximum speed for applying the finger brake Evil or Very Mad
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:01 am

I agree, the engine VOOM from 5000rpm is most sporty!

On my 500-mile hire car, the brakes were most effective.
    garlum wrote:Not once have I jammed my thumb like the video reviews and press say you will do! It's really simple, you use your trigger finger to pull the trigger while gripping the handle with your fingers and thumb. Your thumb is in fact in a more natural place to be when pull or pushing on something. It's not at all awkward to use, in fact it's easier to use than a traditional handbrake. All I can say is thank goodness it has a handbrake because the electronic ones coming out on cars now really are fiddly to use.

The likely alternative to the handbrake is surely a button! Doh

However, my personal experience with that handbrake is a lot of frustration and a frequently-pinched thumb. And stalling on the starting grid at Goodwood d'oh.

If you find it easy to use there is surely a job for you at Avis getting cars away for punters lol!

Thanks for the information.

garlum
    garlum

Post by garlum Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Couple of pics trying to show non-owners what the interior looks like in the night. Pictures don't do it justice really but you get a faint idea of what it's like in these pictures.

My recent purchase Interior2

My recent purchase Interior
    garlum
    garlum

Post by garlum Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:01 pm

Has anyone noticed the colour change of the keyfob slot? If not, take a look next time you start up. Sadly it's hidden from view of the driver normally, but if the steering wheel is positioned so you can see the fob slot you'll notice it go from red to amber when you place the fob in the slot, then green while you push the fob to start the car, and then it settles back to red once the car is started. A nice little touch.
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:28 pm

garlum wrote:Has anyone noticed the colour change of the keyfob slot? If not, take a look next time you start up. Sadly it's hidden from view of the driver normally, but if the steering wheel is positioned so you can see the fob slot you'll notice it go from red to amber when you place the fob in the slot, then green while you push the fob to start the car, and then it settles back to red once the car is started. A nice little touch.
    I didn't notice this - I was so pleased at being able to start the car!
    garlum
    garlum

Post by garlum Sun May 20, 2012 3:58 pm

A small note on the USB MP3 player in the 6. I've just found that there is a maximum file limit of 999 files that the player can list. So regardless of how big the memory card it will only list presumably the first 999 of your songs. Which is still a pretty big playlist. I found out this due to having a 4Gb memory stick installed where some albums were not showing on the car stereo system. It states the limit in the user manual but I suppose most people wouldn't particularly go looking for that unless they experienced the problem as I have done. I had 1250 or so songs on the memory stick which I've now whittled down to 999. To be honest the songs I took off I will never listen to... Best Dance Album In The World Ever 7 from 1997. What on earth I used to listen to I don't know affraid
    richardk
    richardk

Number of posts : 935
    Registration date : 2009-02-06

Post by richardk Mon May 21, 2012 8:58 am

Reading the user manual?? what's that then??? Shocked

Well done for finding that out though - that's one of the foibles that can have been scrathing their heads for ages

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:34 am