MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

coolant capacity

garlum
    garlum

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2012-04-23

coolant capacity Empty coolant capacity

Post by garlum Thu May 31, 2012 4:33 pm

Just a little tid bit of info.

The 1.8TCi engine in the MG6 has a coolant capacity of 7.9 litres. For comparison the VAG 1.8TSI as fitted to the Skoda Octavia (presumably the same in other installations) has a coolant capacity of 8.6 litres. I believe the 1.8 K-series had a coolant capacity of 6.2 litres. So it appears that coolant capacity has been increased by a good margin over the old design.

Still enjoying the MG6 and learning more and more about it as time goes on.
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

coolant capacity Empty Re: coolant capacity

Post by patpending Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:54 am

What, garlum? But we ALL know it's a K-Series from reading posts by "people who know" lol
    garlum
    garlum

Number of posts : 26
    Registration date : 2012-04-23

Post by garlum Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:16 am

Yes, well sadly there are many who don't appreciate that a product based on a previous design can be a good thing as long as you keep the good bits and improve the not so good bits. The interesting thing is that other manufacturers have used engines that in some cases can have origins traced back far further than a k-series without it bothering anyone. I always liked the k-series, especially the VVC variant. The free revving, high rpm raucous characterstic has been carried over into the TCi engine and that is something I'm very pleased about! I don't really understand why anyone would want a muted, stunted engine tone on a car with MG attributes - by which I'm referring to reviews that moan it's "a bit noisy" when pushed hard...if it weren't it'd be dull. But yes, there are too many know it all's who aren't able to appreciate development of a sound design. I was one of those that said association with the "old k-series" would do new MG no favours but not because there's anything wrong with the engine, only that people have a poor perception of the old designs reliability and it would've been easier from a publicity perspective to have had an engine with no ties to it for the new cars. However, the upshot is I get to have a bit of old skool fun in a thoroughly modern car :-)
    richardk
    richardk

Number of posts : 935
    Registration date : 2009-02-06

Post by richardk Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:17 am

Interesting fact on the development of the engine in its latest incarnation. That small coolant capacity in the K was great for warming the car up quickly in the winter though!

Your 6 sounds a hoot to drive....makes me jealous...but I'm only after autos these days...think I'd stall a manual now No
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:50 am

Might just have a bigger radiator to cope with South China heat or lack of air up on the Tibetan Plains.

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:18 am

Thanks! I've got 13 in the new engine just sitting
    so it will still want about another 4 when I start and run it a bit.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:07 am