MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

EU Engines

Morris Motors

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

EU Engines Empty EU Engines

Post by Morris Motors Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:30 pm

The MG6 has the N-series, derived from the K-series.. is there any chance of other dimensions of the K-series unit coming over now that the N-series is Euro-compliant?

The MG3 might repeat one of the draw-backs of the MG6 in having just one engine on offer and I was wondering if there were any other options viable.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

EU Engines Empty Re: EU Engines

Post by Windy Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:58 pm

The N-Series was the NAC version of the K-Series and was used in the first generation MG3, MG TF and MG7. The MG3 and MG TF are no longer in production and the MG7 now uses the SAIC version known as the TCI-Tech or Kavachi.

The Kavachi engine is available as a NASP DVVT 1.8 with 135 bhp or a turbo 1.8 with around 160bhp. Only the turbo is EU approved.

I can't see any more K-Series versions arriving in the UK as the new NLE engines will be available early next year starting with a 2L direct injection turbo petrol which should be a very competitive economical modern engine. For those that want a really green car there is also a petrol=electric 1.5L version of the 550 which could be fitted to the MG6 at some point.

As for the MG3, there are already 1.3L and 1.5 turbo versions of the 1.5 engine but I suspect the UK wont see an alternative until the SGE turbo direct injection petrol engines arrive, late next year at the earliest.
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:50 am

I suppose all these new generation engines are all-new and not derived from MGR products?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:55 am

Morris Motors wrote:I suppose all these new generation engines are all-new and not derived from MGR products?
    Depends what you mean by "all-new", they have 4 cylinders or 6 like the K-series, except for the 3 cylinder ones and I'm sure a lot of the K-Series experience has been used to create them but there are also a lot of differences. The NSE has a cast iron block, variable phase cams and dual thermostats in it's cooling system - definitely not a K-Series. The NLE has direct petrol injection and the smallest 4 cylinder version is 2L so again not a K-Series. The SGE is a joint development with General Motors Europe and will also be used in the Vauxhall Adam when production starts, not sure how much of it is Longbridge design and the SAIC and GM versions are built in different factories so are not necessarily the same anyway.
    snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

Post by snifferdog1 Thu May 02, 2013 1:35 am

I heard that MG have the actual engine block's cast locally to Longbridge?!

I think that is for the N series, not sure about others.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Thu May 02, 2013 3:08 am

snifferdog1 wrote:I heard that MG have the actual engine block's cast locally to Longbridge?!

I think that is for the N series, not sure about others.
    I think that is just a rumour, probably originating from the camshafts for the N-Series being UK sourced. The N-Series is no longer made, the NSE (MG3) is made in Nanjing Pukou, the Kavachi (MG6) is made in Lingang Shanghai and the diesel is being made, I've forgotten but somewhere near Nanjing. There is a new factory for the NLE at Lingang and the new SGE factory is being built next to it.

It doesn't make much sense to make large items like engine blocks in Longbridge until we see significant sales in Europe...
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Thu May 02, 2013 3:18 am

Kavachi? What is that - surely it is the K or N series? The engines in the MG6 all have serial numbers starting 18k... just as they did in the MGR era.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Thu May 02, 2013 3:25 am

Morris Motors wrote:Kavachi? What is that - surely it is the K or N series? The engines in the MG6 all have serial numbers starting 18k... just as they did in the MGR era.
    Also known as TCI-Tech, the fly by wire version of the K-Series developed by SAIC before cooperation with NAC.
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Thu May 02, 2013 4:15 am

Oh, so N-series was essentially just the K with better gaskets, the Kavachi presumably has better gaskets and fly-by-wire? Still basically the K though...
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Thu May 02, 2013 4:52 am

Morris Motors wrote:Oh, so N-series was essentially just the K with better gaskets, the Kavachi presumably has better gaskets and fly-by-wire? Still basically the K though...
    Essentially yes, although there is a fair bit more too it than that, they both manage current Euro standards while the K could no longer be sold, the N series had work done on the coolent flow in the head, the Kavachi also has a stronger crankshaft etc. Some of the work was done by MGR, I suspect Kavachi is actually an MGR code name that SAIC started using without realising its origin - it is also the name of an undersea volcano that emits vast quantities of steam every so often!
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Thu May 02, 2013 10:21 am

Ha! Oh thats priceless! At least they had a sense of humour about it!
    Roverman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2010-02-12

Post by Roverman Sun May 05, 2013 2:48 pm

N series and Kavachi, both revisions of the K series but some important differences to improve on the original design.

The N series was NAC with input from Lotus.

The Kavachi SAIC, with some original MGR powertrain engineers by all accounts.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 12:05 am