MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Autocar test China version MG5

patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Autocar test China version MG5 Empty Autocar test China version MG5

Post by patpending Fri May 17, 2013 7:38 am

Should I buy one?

If you’re based in the UK, then you can’t. And on the basis of this test the wisdom of prioritising the SUV for sale is probably no bad thing.To make this car competitive in the UK market would take a great deal of work, although it must be said that the firm’s parent company, SAIC, is already making great strides in its powertrain development, and has a proven track record with the MG 6 for making a sweet riding and handling car.
    Furthermore, we would urge some caution before laying in to MG; this car did not feel entirely right, the test venue was far from perfect. Perhaps it’s fairest of all to wait until we get the opportunity for a full road test before drawing too many conclusions.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/mg-motor/mg5/first-drives/mg-5-first-drive-review

A very fair conclusion beginning with a lol!
    Morris Motors

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

Autocar test China version MG5 Empty Re: Autocar test China version MG5

Post by Morris Motors Fri May 17, 2013 8:02 am

"This car did not feel entirely right" - now, if they were on SAICs test track, how likely is it that SAIC would let them test a car with issues? Could it be that the test car WAS entirely right, and it's iffy-ness is why it's not selling well?
    snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

Post by snifferdog1 Fri May 17, 2013 8:36 am

Some idiotic comments after the article as usual.

They really wind me up, not because I'm a blind mg fanboy but just because the British public just seem so poorly educated and ill informed.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy Fri May 17, 2013 9:49 am

Morris Motors wrote:"This car did not feel entirely right" - now, if they were on SAICs test track, how likely is it that SAIC would let them test a car with issues? Could it be that the test car WAS entirely right, and it's iffy-ness is why it's not selling well?
    I've never seen a bad Chinese review of the MG5 and they have sold 12,000 of them so it can't be too bad but I think the sales either go to the MG3 which is seen as more stylish for the young or the 350 for the family.

I guess the reviewer was expecting a more refined suspension on what is a reasonably sized car and the Japanese auto box is definitely a cheapish one. It's built to match expectations in China and presumably succeeds since the suspension, engine and transmission are the same ones used in the 350 which has sold just about quarter of a million.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 11:11 pm