MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Auto Express test - MG3 vs Sandero and Citigo

snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

Auto Express test - MG3 vs Sandero and Citigo Empty Auto Express test - MG3 vs Sandero and Citigo

Post by snifferdog1 Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:09 am

1st - Skoda Citigo
    2nd - Dacia Sandero
    3rd - MG MG3

A much more clinical test than the one in Autocar last week (in which the MG3 won).

Strangely, it gives the MG 2.8/5 for driving - saying that the suspension is too firm but then gives it credit for its 'well sorted' handling in the conclusion section.

The usual gripes are picked up - the coarse nature of the engine (although they managed a 0-60mph time of 10.1 secs), they say it feels breathless, struggles for in gear pace and needs working hard.

The emissions and fuel economy - apparently they only achieved 32mpg on test.

It scored well for its funky looks, equipment and practicality.

The final word is -

MG shouldnt feel disappointed with 3rd place. Its great value, neatly styled and spacious while the well sorted handling makes it great fun to drive.
    It is held back by a mediocre engine,rigid ride and low rent cabin. Equally disappointing are the poor economy and emissions.

At the end it mentions rumours of a turbo charged hot hatch version! Please do MG!
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Auto Express test - MG3 vs Sandero and Citigo Empty Re: Auto Express test - MG3 vs Sandero and Citigo

Post by Windy Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:35 am

snifferdog1 wrote:The usual gripes are picked up - the coarse nature of the engine (although they managed a 0-60mph time of 10.1 secs), they say it feels breathless, struggles for in gear pace and needs working hard.
    I can't work these comments on the engine out!  Many reviews have slated the engine as being "average" or "mediocre", both of which should mean the same as "OK" or "normal", and then used words like "struggle".  Yet the MG3 engine has 50% more torque than the most powerful Citigo engine and although the MG3 is a bigger and heavier car it is nowhere near 50% heavier scratch Other reviewers have liked the engine and praised it before describing it as average!
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Auto Express test - MG3 vs Sandero and Citigo Empty Re: Auto Express test - MG3 vs Sandero and Citigo

Post by patpending Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:41 am

I just posted that how they can criticise a higher-powered engine against the competition is beyond me unless they are copying off each other - I think it's that the current crop of three-cylinder turbos probably invite you to drive like you stole them, like James Hunt driving an A35. I haven't driven one so can't comment.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:54 am