MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
patpending
Windy
Dynamo
7 posters

The acid test

Dynamo
    Dynamo

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2011-04-21

The acid test Empty The acid test

Post by Dynamo Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:59 am

Todays the big day folks. I pick up my Regal Red MG6 GT TSE some time this afternoon. I reckon that the salesman is gonna have to take about an hour explaining all the gubbins inside the car, like the air con and the reversing cam and the bluetooth and the digital display on the little telly etc. Then there's supposed to be a photo shoot so I better spruce myself up a bit. I might even comb my hair and have a shave. Laughing

Before all that, I'm gonna give my ZR a look over. Clean all the junk out of her and hoover any dust up, and fix any little niggly things, like the glove compartment door thats had a screw missing in it for a fortnight. then on the way to the dealer, I'm gonna give her one last wash because she's absolutely filthy at the moment due to the very dusty dry weather we are having. Saying goodbye to her is gonna be a real wrench, thats a fact. Sad

Once I've got the new car, I'm gonna have a scoot around to see a few people, some of which are petrol heads and have no idea that I am getting it. Their responses will be duly noted and I'll post them in this thread. I am very confident that they will be positive comments, even though they are all wind up merchants when it suits them.

On top of that, I'll be garnering any passing comments that prick my ears and I'll post them on here too. I'll also keep you all in the loop as to my feelings for the car as I get more used to it.

Please feel free to ask any questions that you like. I can't promise to answer them all, but I'll do my bestest. Very Happy

Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

The acid test Empty Re: The acid test

Post by Windy Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:12 am

Dynamo wrote:I reckon that the salesman is gonna have to take about an hour explaining all the gubbins inside the car, like the air con and the reversing cam and the bluetooth and the digital display on the little telly etc.
    Well keep him busy and get good value, it's the last time you will have the chance!

I expect we'l see you in a months time when you've finished playing Laughing
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:39 am

No reversing into things your camera should have seen, now!
    Dynamo
    Dynamo

Post by Dynamo Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:11 am

The day went very well but there's far too many knobs and switches to bugger about with early doors, but I'm sure I'll sort them soon enough. I got the Bluetooth working though and can now answer my phone through it when I am driving.

Here's a couple of snaps to be going on with. Firstly in the showroom.

The acid test Photo0095

The acid test Photo0097

The acid test Photo0104

And now a couple of it sitting proudly outside my house.

The acid test 04062011

The acid test 04062011001
    richardk
    richardk

Number of posts : 935
    Registration date : 2009-02-06

Post by richardk Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:49 am

Top man!

Looks like you had good day...and plenty of curtain twitching tonight keeping an eye on it?
    ex-rover

Number of posts : 34
    Registration date : 2009-08-04

Post by ex-rover Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:54 am

Congratulations on your purchase. It looks fantastic in red too.
    Dynamo
    Dynamo

Post by Dynamo Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:55 am

richardk wrote:Top man!

Looks like you had good day...and plenty of curtain twitching tonight keeping an eye on it?

I'll probably be too busy reading the manual trying to find out how everything works lol.

Two friends have seen it so far. Admittedly not the petrol head ones, but both have been gushing in their praise. Very Happy
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:15 pm

that looks beautiful.

Just remember, even if your friends say your new car is pants, 1) you didn't buy it for them and 2) if Phase 1 is underpants, Phase 3 = massive profits!
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:18 pm

This might sound sdaft...but boy does that badge on the front shout out that it's an MG!

Looks great in red..wish it was on my drive and I was reading the manual right now
    Roverman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2010-02-12

Post by Roverman Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:36 pm

richardk wrote:This might sound sdaft...but boy does that badge on the front shout out that it's an MG!

Looks great in red..wish it was on my drive and I was reading the manual right now

Get one then ?

Dynamo, you still got both thumbs ? Wink
    Dynamo
    Dynamo

Post by Dynamo Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:27 pm

[quote="Roverman"]
    richardk wrote:This might sound sdaft...but boy does that badge on the front shout out that it's an MG!

I've been reading the manual. I wouldn't say its the greatest read ever lol. Mind you, I'm still finding new stuff. For instance, there's a case to keep reading glasses above the drivers door with a warning not to use them when driving, and the anti dazzle on the rear view mirror is automatic. Shocked

Roverman wrote:
    Dynamo, you still got both thumbs ? Wink

I think I'm suffering from deja vu. Laughing
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:47 pm

The only thing I'd change on your car is the numberplate and got rid of that eu flag.

Wow I think those auto anti dazzle rear mirrors are very clever..had one on my ZTT

I'd love to know the instructions for using that key to strart the engine...I did struggle so did the salesman

Where you taking it tomorrow?
    Dynamo
    Dynamo

Post by Dynamo Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:11 pm

Scrub that about the geggs case. it ain't there lol.

richardk wrote:
    I'd love to know the instructions for using that key to start the engine...I did struggle so did the salesman

I haven't bothered looking at that in the instruction manual seeing as I always manage to start it okay. I'll look it up for you if you want though.

richardk wrote:
    Where you taking it tomorrow?

Wherever I land. We got shopping in the morning so we'll have a good idea just how big that boot is, and then I may pop round and see a few people. Then I'm working nights tomorrow night so it will be interesting to see how it feels to drive in the dark.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:52 am

richardk wrote:The only thing I'd change on your car is the numberplate and got rid of that eu flag.
    you CANNOT be SERIOUS! lol

you might as well ask for bigger wheels and three doors IMHO.

Except they'd make more sense IMHO.

So do you object to EU numberplates? we should all have them IMHO.

Or do you never go abroad? Laughing Where's the best place for a GB sticker on the boot? are there any areas of plastic meaning you can't use a magnetic one?

Smoggie, Ian said he found that the trim was falling off on the test cars though PatrickT suspected journos of pulling it off. What's your view?
    Dynamo
    Dynamo

Post by Dynamo Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:07 am

[quote="patpending"]
    richardk wrote:
    Smoggie, Ian said he found that the trim was falling off on the test cars though PatrickT suspected journos of pulling it off. What's your view?

I don't know what Smoggie thinks, but I'll give you my view Wink

I haven't seen any bits falling off it yet, but no doubt if I was to try hard enough I could probably break this and that.

Just one small point thats been brough up elsewhere. The quality of the starter key/gizmo. Some people have said its flimsy. What utter bollocks. Its fine and sturdy enough. Apparently its exactly the same as the fobs made by other companies like BMW and Mercede's.

People just try to keep trying to give this dog a bad name. I got news for them. This dogs gonna bite back.
    Dynamo
    Dynamo

Post by Dynamo Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:56 am

She had her first real test today. I showed it to my two biggest petrol head mates who didn't know I was getting it. The first said "OH MY GOD!!!" and the second said "WOW!!" Both of them were totally and unequivocally extremely imressed with it. I didn't even get a single sarcastic remark which I fully expected. They were totally gobsmacked with the quality of the car, inside and out, and of the performance and ride quality. Smile
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:35 am

I think the feedback you've had from your mates is great. We know most of the actually MG6 bashing comes from a vociferous section of MG so called enthusiasts.

Proof is in the pudding as they say

How much shopping did you get in the boot?

richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:36 am

patpending wrote:
    richardk wrote:The only thing I'd change on your car is the numberplate and got rid of that eu flag.
    you CANNOT be SERIOUS! lol

you might as well ask for bigger wheels and three doors IMHO.

Except they'd make more sense IMHO.

So do you object to EU numberplates? we should all have them IMHO.

Or do you never go abroad? Laughing Where's the best place for a GB sticker on the boot? are there any areas of plastic meaning you can't use a magnetic one?

Very - GB plate fine..EU plate - no thanks. I'm British not european.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:45 am

richardk wrote:Very - GB plate fine..EU plate - no thanks. I'm British not european.
    but British people ARE European lol.

In the past I have bought two new sets of plates for two different cars as the previous ones had inexplicably not been EU standard. No choice in Germany or France! lol

I must say I really cannot understand your comment. Now I know how you must normally feel about my comments! lol!
    Dynamo
    Dynamo

Post by Dynamo Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:00 am

Just passed another test. My girlfriends brother in law is a proper sarky bugger and I was expecting the worst comments of all from him when he saw the car, but he's another in a long line of people who is really impressed with it. Can't be bad. Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04QoA44c23A
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:23 am

Dynamo wrote:
    Just passed another test. My girlfriends brother in law is a proper sarky bugger and I was expecting the worst comments of all from him when he saw the car, but he's another in a long line of people who is really impressed with it. Can't be bad. Very Happy

I'm currently listening to

"an XROSS, a Seven,

a Six and two Threes"...

it's like a parallel universe!
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Dynamo wrote:

Well done you are obviously the leader for others to follow king
    Dynamo
    Dynamo

Post by Dynamo Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:34 pm

richardk wrote:I think the feedback you've had from your mates is great. We know most of the actually MG6 bashing comes from a vociferous section of MG so called enthusiasts.

Proof is in the pudding as they say

How much shopping did you get in the boot?

'kin loads. Very Happy
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:55 pm

patpending wrote:So do you object to EU numberplates? we should all have them IMHO.

Or do you never go abroad? Laughing
    I've driven in Europe quite a few times:

I've driven in Cornwall - EU plates not needed.
    I've driven in Wales - "
    I've driven in Scotland - "
    I've driven in Ireland - "
    I've driven in Northern Ireland - "
    I've driven in the Isle of Man - "
    I've driven on the Isle of Orkney - "
    I've driven in Switzerland - "

Number plates look much better when they are nice and clean with no EU flag or dealer name at the bottom.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:11 am

Windy wrote:
    patpending wrote:So do you object to EU numberplates? we should all have them IMHO.

Or do you never go abroad? Laughing
    I've driven in Europe quite a few times:

I've driven in Cornwall - EU plates not needed.
    I've driven in Wales - "
    I've driven in Scotland - "
    I've driven in Ireland - "
    I've driven in Northern Ireland - "
    I've driven in the Isle of Man - "
    I've driven on the Isle of Orkney - "
    I've driven in Switzerland - "

Number plates look much better when they are nice and clean with no EU flag or dealer name at the bottom.

In the times when you've driven in Europe, you've omitted England! Wink

IIRC EU numberplates didn't use to obviate the necessity for the black-and-white GB plate, which was governed by the Geneva Convention. But now they do.

Switzerland, like Norway, is in the EEA and so they may accept EU plates instead. Should I have said "in your own car"? otherwise it's hard to get to Switzerland without going through another member country of the EU.

TBH I feel strongly that all British numberplates should carry the EU flag as German and Dutch ones already do. And have you seen Dr Dave's? not only an EU flag, but a D? Laughing So we'll have to differ there...

Maybe we should suggest to Dynamo that his numberplate should be offset a little to one side instead. Wink

Meanwhile - what a car, eh? Laughing
    Dynamo
    Dynamo

Post by Dynamo Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:26 am

patpending wrote:

Maybe we should suggest to Dynamo that his numberplate should be offset a little to one side instead. Wink

And you know what I'd tell you to do if you did lol. My number plate looks very nice where it is because that is where it belongs.

As for this debate about the EU badge, I am a fan of the EU for many reasons. I know that they get a lot of things wrong, but a lot of the stuff they do is right, and I always find it especially nice when a British government wants to do something that I don't agree with, especially from the one and a half partys that are in power at the moment, and the EU tell them they can't do it. It brings a smile to my face. Very Happy
    Jerry Zedman
    Jerry Zedman

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2011-05-13

Post by Jerry Zedman Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:49 pm

Dynamo - congratulations on your new purchase. I learnt on Friday that the VIN had been registered for my '6 so it has been confirmed - it is built!!! Hopefully i'll get a phone call some time this week (or an email from Keith Harris) telling me it's on its way to the dealers for its PDI. Here's hoping!!!! Very Happy
    Dynamo
    Dynamo

Post by Dynamo Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Jerry Zedman wrote:Dynamo - congratulations on your new purchase. I learnt on Friday that the VIN had been registered for my '6 so it has been confirmed - it is built!!! Hopefully i'll get a phone call some time this week (or an email from Keith Harris) telling me it's on its way to the dealers for its PDI. Here's hoping!!!! Very Happy

Great news Jerry. I got mine withing a fortnight of it being confirmed as being built so hopefully you'll get yours in the same amount of time, if not sooner.

Say hi to Orville if you see Keith will ya. Wink
    Jerry Zedman
    Jerry Zedman

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2011-05-13

Post by Jerry Zedman Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:14 pm

Dynamo wrote: Great news Jerry. I got mine withing a fortnight of it being confirmed as being built so hopefully you'll get yours in the same amount of time, if not sooner.

Say hi to Orville if you see Keith will ya. Wink

"I wish I could fly.......!"
    Roverman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2010-02-12

Post by Roverman Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:55 pm

If I was to ever get an MG6 I would be coming from a ZR same as you Dynamo.

Any advice or comments.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:57 am