MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Finally Met An MG3

Morris Motors

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

Finally Met An MG3 Empty Finally Met An MG3

Post by Morris Motors Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:53 am

So today was rather hectic - I am in the middle of a protracted house move and so pressed my MG BGT into service to take a load of clothes, coats, bedding etc (i.e. all light and squashable and not too much effort for the MG) to a storage place I've rented. And on my way back I passed Greenhous MG in Shrewsbury...

And that's Greenhous, not Greenhouse.

Anyway, I pulled up and there was a white MG3 with all-black alloys and the black trophy stripes. First impressions are good - looks really smart, although in white with stripes was possibly a bit 'in-your-face' for an MGB driver like me..

But the panel fit was excellent, the paint finish was excellent - in fact everything felt incredibly solid and well engineered. OK, this was after I'd just done 80 miles in an MGB but it certainly felt as good as any hired hatchback I've had lately. This demo model had red stitching on the steering wheel and silver surrounds to the console inserts etc. It all looked very good. Not as whacky or retro or tricksy as some of the competition, but it didn't look cheap. The seats were firm and supportive and gave a good driving position too. The steering wheel also had a good feel.

My only 'gripes' (such as they are) are that the plastic on the central console by the handbrake looks very scratchable, plus I wonder how long the silver paint finish on the steering wheel audio controls will last without wearing through (and the internal door handles too). Also, with the few extras that this car had (decals, stitching, wheels) they couldn't tell me what that OTR price was. Nor did they have any brochures, although they said that's because they aren't shipping until 1st October. So he says...

But overall, I was impressed. It felt far more substantial than my old ZR160 and looked about as up to date as it needs to. Boot space and back seat space are excellent as others have said. I will be doing a test drive (and probably placing an order) once I have completed the move and got the mortgage ticking over smoothly..

More importantly, chatting with the sales guy he said they've already sold some based on simply having the demo on site, and that people are trying to personalise them greatly. Apparently they had to dissuade one lady from having a pink roof by telling her to think of resale values!

In addition, they had about 10 MG6s on site and 2 in the showroom (although their unregistered showroom Magnette didn't have any chrome so must have been an old model - maybe they just took the plates off one and valeted it?). The sales chap said that the MG6 is also selling 'loads' now because they are getting what he described as 'ex-fleet' whatever they are, so are pricing them for about £9k and they have a good turnover. They seem to basically have found their price as a second hand deal so I wonder when the RRP on new models will get the inevitable chop? Anyway, I didn't think it polite to ask about new registrations!

So it was a positive experience - so much doom and gloom about MG, and the last time I passed this place it looked a bit shut away. But today there were 3 guys in the showroom, it was all clean and lit up, all the MG6s outside were lined up and sparkling and the showroom had a big MG3 display. Good vibes and a good indication of the future.
    snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

Finally Met An MG3 Empty Re: Finally Met An MG3

Post by snifferdog1 Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:26 pm

Thats excellent to hear!

You are thinking of buying one as well?!

Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:30 pm

Morris Motors wrote:today there were 3 guys in the showroom, it was all clean and lit up, all the MG6s outside were lined up and sparkling and the showroom had a big MG3 display. Good vibes and a good indication of the future.
    That is what is needed before most people will buy any car from a dealer however good the car is. Many people will also buy a bad car from a dealer with that appearance!

Things could suddenly take off if they can get some more dealers to look like that...
    Morris Motors

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

Post by Morris Motors Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Well this is it - I passed this place a couple of months back and didn't see much activity. If you look at it on Streetview there are signs and just one MG6 (it was William Lewis on Featherbed Lane) and looked dire. But a row of gleaming cars makes all the difference.

Plus, if MG Motor are dumping cars on Motorpoint and giving the green light for dealers to do similar pricing, it creates activity. This is a multifranchise site and I imagine, after wandering around Renault and Nissan, the salesmen will nudge buyers towards the MG corner once they've sussed their budget. And that isn't to be sniffed at - a sale is a sale. The MG part of the place is a much smaller unit - only room for a couple of cars undercover - but they only offer a couple of models anyway. But it was bright, clean, well ordered and the displays were up to date. And the sales people were useful, informed and helpful. The one good thing that came out of the 2005 collapse was that all the crappy MGR dealers got screwed. But I digress...

It's also interesting that it has all changed from William Lewis to Greenhous and the new operators have kept the franchise on. A salesman will look bored and disinterested if he knows he's onto a loser. The MG chaps today seemed keen. Hopefully this signals a big change in things.

As for me and an MG3 - yes the plan is to get one. I was preparing myself for a £12k price plus options, but with the prices as they are it makes it a no-brainer for me as within the next few months I will need a modern car (all I have at the mo is the MGB). I've been waiting for these!
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:58 am

Morris Motors wrote:As for me and an MG3 - yes the plan is to get one. I was preparing myself for a £12k price plus options, but with the prices as they are it makes it a no-brainer for me as within the next few months I will need a modern car (all I have at the mo is the MGB). I've been waiting for these!
    I was explaining to the Volvo dealer today that I could buy two top-spec MG3s for the price of one V40...! that's a massive difference!
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:01 am

patpending wrote:
    I was explaining to the Volvo dealer today that I could buy two top-spec MG3s for the price of one V40...! that's a massive difference!
    Did you succeed in converting him to an MG dealer Laughing 

Maybe he is still busy reading the forum to find out what an MG3 is Dangling Carrot
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:20 am

I am a one man publicity machine, spreading the word to to the Volkswagen dealer, the Volvo dealer and the Good Ford Salesman of Sechaun (Brecht). None of the three knew about the MG3 and the Volkswagen salesman thought I meant a Rover...

Of the four local MGR dealers, the one in Cobham has gone. Both Spur in Molesey and EMG in Croydon have had the new MG franchise (EMG fleetingly) but have both given up. That leaves Kingsbury's of Hampton who are now a Ford sub-dealer but who I read are not likely to go MG, though I have always found them excellent...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:28 pm