MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Longbridge

Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Longbridge Empty Longbridge

Post by Windy Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:12 pm

The factory MG: Britain, go ahead!

Longbridge Zavodmg_1

Who would have thought that a legendary brand, car Classic will be saved by Chinese company-manufacturer of mass production? We went to the UK to see revived the MG factory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many legends of British Classics forever. A similar fate awaited and MG-Morris Garages. However, in 2005, the company was reorganized several times, gaining a second wind thanks to investments of SAIC Motor. It has invested in English auto industry 500 million. pounds, creating new models of MG and its dealer network around the world.

Analogy

The British, who spoke on the topic of "what is a Chinese brand MG?" calmly shrugged shoulders: and if the place of residence of the investor? And after a visit to the UK on the edge of the Motor of the MG Birmingham and test drives, we are ready to accept them. Not the Indian Tata bought premium-brand Range Rover and the Swedish Volvosequestered by Chinese Geely! How does Chinese iPhone or Dutch Philips, collect their products in China.

Design model MG in England. Here, in the heart of MG Motor UK, we saw a test laboratory where designers tested new engines and transmissions. We also visited the Holy of Holies-the European Design Centre. And still saw the production in the Longbridže are collected here-of cars brought from China sets.

Longbridge ZavodMG_6
    The Longbridže is a suburb of Birmingham-collect "right-handed" MG, primarily for the UK market.

Made in Britain

Local production to date-SKD-assembled. There are three models for the UK: the new hatchback in class 3 MG, D-class hatchback MG 6 and odnoplatformennyj with him 6 MG Magnette saloon. From the versions for different countries-and the only cars moving in the markets of 40 MG of these machines is not only the right wheel and suspension settings. For example, it is tougher than the instances of "the six" for Ukraine. The MG version 6 with a 1.9-liter turbodizelem-a purely European, it is not available in Ukraine due to the high prices: European integration more expensive machine.

Longbridge ZavodMG_2
    Three models of MG are collected in Longbridže on the wall.

With the Shanghai company SAIC Motor, which produces cars MG for Eastern markets, in England there are painted body with inserted glass, finished interior and other equipment. On the wall the pipeline in Longbridže sets are cars: British collectors assemble engines (petrol-Turbo 1.8 l 160 HP turbo diesel 1.9 l capacity and a capacity of 150 h.p.), transmission, front suspension, rims.

Longbridge ZavodMG_3
    Produced in England and recently introduced in Europe in the segment model MG 3. We will tell about it in the next room «Autocenter».

Quality control

Understanding the importance of high quality and the lack of complaints is now, at a time of market entry for many countries, the British organized the release of control-plot a car as car production cycle. Here the team supervisors checks a lot of little things, including that joints of panels and gap body, quality refinishing. Each car before leaving the platform's product is "storm-test": the machine enters the artificial rainfall, which tests the "machine for water-tightness and resistance to damp weather.

Longbridge ZavodMG_4
    In addition to controlling the build process, each car is checked for quality control section at the end of the conveyor.

Longbridge ZavodMG_5
    Each released on UK car plant is being tested in the rain.

The music of the Quartet

Machines in workshops of enterprises in Longbridže MG are British citizens, and not only indigenous but also those living in the European Union from other countries. The fruits of globalization-black European advisors from the East part collects the English machine. But perhaps the most important fact in this English Quartet-the music of The Beatles, floating from the speakers under the arches. In spite of everything, mark MG not just survive-Morris Garages remained British brand.

Longbridge ZavodMG_7
    Some cars on the track had already been marked as sold.

Longbridge ZavodMG_8

Guy Jones-Director of sales and marketing of MG Motor UK:

"As the motto of our cars is More fun, more style-more fun, more style. This differs from the majority of the mass of MG cars classmates. We therefore greatly de AEM bet on emotional personality-youth, women. It is for them-athletic appearance, compact-looking models, our social activity in the form of festivals and other outstanding shares. Of course, have to take into account the characteristics of each market, for some you need to modify the cars. So we opened up branches around the world: in Hamburg, Detroit, Tokyo, Hong Kong, and India. All models of MG and SAIC to markets all over the world design European constructors and designers here at Longbridže. We started the development of new models with small markets, countries with left-hand traffic in regions where our brand is easily recognizable and easier to start. So, in the UK alone over the year we have increased the number of our dealers to 8 units, within a year their number will increase from 32 to 50. And next year will start a global expansion in the major European markets. "

Source: http://www.autocentre.ua/news/dosug/zavod-mg-britaniya-vpered-sc-ac-56543.html
    Morris Motors

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

Longbridge Empty Re: Longbridge

Post by Morris Motors Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:48 pm

The sniffpetrol review says that due to increased demand the MG3 is coming in fully built. Do we know if that's true? I know the initial 700 were, but then they were supposed to be kit form like the MG6.
    snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

Post by snifferdog1 Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Thats an interesting read.

Some good pics too, things are looking up at Longbridge.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Morris Motors wrote:The sniffpetrol review says that due to increased demand the MG3 is coming in fully built. Do we know if that's true? I know the initial 700 were, but then they were supposed to be kit form like the MG6.
    I doubt that they have sold the 700 yet?

Of course if production does need to be faster than planned for then an extra half hours overtime in Shanghai is probably equivalent to doubling the UK workforce but much easier, less risky and cheaper!

snifferdog1 wrote:Thats an interesting read.

Some good pics too, things are looking up at Longbridge.
    Yes, good to see the images, and nice to see lots of cars in there again, even if the lines are still moving quite slowly so far.
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:37 pm

....I think I posted a version of the Ukrainian visit some three weeks ago.... maybe a party of Meerkats gets to see more(!) Wink

Different photos... http://www.mguk.org/t1068-mg-ukraine-visit-longbridge
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:09 pm

patpending wrote:....I think I posted a version of the Ukrainian visit some three weeks ago.... maybe a party of Meerkats gets to see more(!) Wink

Different photos... http://www.mguk.org/t1068-mg-ukraine-visit-longbridge
    Ahh, I was going to add to that thread but I didn't find it, I posted this version mainly for the new images.
    Dorset Rocket

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2011-05-20

Post by Dorset Rocket Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:11 pm

Would be interesting to see the start of the process and how they get them out of the containers!The interview with Ian Pogson of MG in this months MG Enthusiast is quite revealing. Apparently when they open the containers it 'feels like Christmas come early' and some MG3's come fully built while others are partially 'knocked down' as SIAC are still evaluating the best way to do things over here. But the main thing is that the facilities exist at Longbridge to build the MG3 in the same way as the 6, so they have the flexibility to do this. With a car in the price bracket of the 3economics will no doubt decide who does what both here and in China..
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:08 am

Well what Pogson says is interesting, but they really should have sorted that out by now!

They've been making these for 2 years, they've been shipping the MG6 for 2 years - why on earth haven't they decided this yet? It's quite basic and means quite a lot - brand perception, import taxes etc.

They are a small outfit in the UK and I can understand that they are busy, but this is really basic stuff that ought to have been settled on day one! Frankly I find it quite alarming that, 2 years after they announced the car, 2 months after launching it in the UK, they still don't know what they are doing!
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:02 am

Morris Motors wrote:Well what Pogson says is interesting, but they really should have sorted that out by now!

They've been making these for 2 years, they've been shipping the MG6 for 2 years - why on earth haven't they decided this yet? It's quite basic and means quite a lot - brand perception, import taxes etc.

They are a small outfit in the UK and I can understand that they are busy, but this is really basic stuff that ought to have been settled on day one! Frankly I find it quite alarming that, 2 years after they announced the car, 2 months after launching it in the UK, they still don't know what they are doing!
    Can it be they are trying scenarios out for Thailand? I agree, though, there's a lot of stuff you would think they already knew...
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:10 am

More importantly, if the MG6 is selling nothing (which is effectively what happened in October), then the CABs at Longbridge will just become storage warehouses for MG3s whilst they undergo some pdi work or sticker application.

As for Thailand - maybe, but the same point applies - they have had plenty of time to sort this out. This is *basic* stuff.

- what are you going to build?
    - where are you going to build it?

Very odd.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:17 am

We know that SAIC use SAP.

How can they not know what is in a container? How can that be configured? Their "transports" must be a nightmare! Wink
    Dorset Rocket

Number of posts : 134
    Registration date : 2011-05-20

Post by Dorset Rocket Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:46 pm

SAP might explain it! - I heard that when B and Q introduced SAP systems it was chaos and nearly bankrupted them. They lost track of everything for a while..
    Longbridge and CAB1 may still be huge, but the operation MG are currently running in the UK is still tiny and may have little influence on what, when and how cars come in from China. They have been running for two years with the 6, but at sales of less than 10 a month sometimes and I imagine it has all been a bit ad hoc. The 3 is a game changer for them in terms of volume (hopefully) and I don't think it is too surprising that they are keeping options open on how they meet this change in demand..
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:31 pm

Dorset Rocket wrote: I heard that when B and Q introduced SAP systems it was chaos and nearly bankrupted them.
    Poorly executed. SAP is a marvellous system used by big names like Eurotunnel, Barclays - and call up a page of your EDF Home Energy and see what name you see there! Wink  Volkswagen use it.

If they don't know what is in their containers, they are not using SAP right in conjunction with barcode/ RFID readers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:24 am