MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
patpending
littlechicken
snifferdog1
Podders
8 posters

Considering an MG3, but...

Podders

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2013-12-28

Considering an MG3, but... Empty Considering an MG3, but...

Post by Podders Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:05 am

Hello

My current car is a troublesome elderly Golf overdue for replacement and I have been drawn by the eye-catching deals on the new chinese MG hatchback.

The car has been well reviewed in the papers, but I'm worried about MG's longevity as a brand given the failure of the bigger one (I read this has effectively been discontinued already?).

I had an MG B years ago, which was among the most disappointing cars I've ever owned, so I'm not what you'd call an "enthusiast", simply a cheap new car buyer.

Is it worth taking such a risk, even at the price?

Thanks.
    snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

Considering an MG3, but... Empty Re: Considering an MG3, but...

Post by snifferdog1 Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:30 am

No need to worry about longevity mate, MG have a long term plan and I don't believe that they will exit the countries market for a long time yet. They gave been back since 08 and sales have just recently began to pick up.

They have new models and engines in development, 3 cars competing in the BTCC this year and plans to expand the dealer network.

The 6 has been a slow seller but has seen more of a relaunch lately than a discontinuation. There have been double page ads in many publications for several months now and they have re-made the brochure.

If anything, I believe the current 2 MG models to be exceptionally good purchase options.
    littlechicken
    littlechicken

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2010-12-21

Post by littlechicken Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:58 am

As snifferdog as stated the MG6 is far from being discontinued, were did you read this ?

If you are just looking for a cheap car then a Dacia Sandero may be more appropriate, particularly as if you have doubts .

I own an MG6 and have driven an MG3 and would certainly buy a 3 if the boot had been a bit bigger to replace the 308 I also own.

My 19 year old drove the MG3 and is looking to buy one to replace his 2013 Citroen.
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:46 am

Obviously as a fan forum here we like the badge and are very interested in the company and its plans. Most people are not and some might even be very sceptical of MG.

Huge parent company SAIC is indeed Chinese and one of the Top 20 world car producers, but with design, engineering and assembly at Longbridge, the modern MGs arguably fly the British flag more than many competitors.

I think I can state that MG have a longer future in the UK than Chevrolet(!).

My advice for people who are unsure or sceptical of modern MGs:

Treat MG3 as "just another car", even "just another car from a manufacturer I am not too sure about" and take it for a test drive and see what you think.

- Is it the size you want? (about the size of a Mk2 Golf or a current Polo).

- What's it like to drive?

- It should be far more affordable than the current competition, but do the sums. Even if depreciation is a high percentage (and some forecasts suggest it may not be all that bad) the low total amount you spend means the actual £££ cost could well be below other new cars costing much more.

I believe MG is here for the long haul though I would like to see them doing more sooner.

Try one! Try one! Wink

Maybe it will make sense. It won't make sense for everybody.

Considering an MG3, but... Com-oceanhouse-media-1-10-ad-shot3
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:34 am

Podders wrote:but I'm worried about MG's longevity as a brand given the failure of the bigger one
    MG is an international brand with some of the cars branded "Roewe" in China.

Last year they sold around 250,000 vehicles globally, an increase of around 15% on the previous year.

As a fairly new company they are still investing, expanding their range, expanding into new countries, developing new technology etc.

There is no sign of MG disappearing, they are just getting restarted under the ownership of SAIC, a company which sold 5.1 million cars last year.

In the UK sales are still low, around 0.08% of the countries car sales, this is for various reasons but mainly a lack of trying, they have not been ready to take on the UK, the MG3 is the first time they have started to make a real effort and there is far more to come, within a few years you should expect sales to be at least the level we see in Chile and Israel where they have around 1% of the market, well over 10 times the current UK level.

The future for MG is bright with no lack of funding and plans to be selling 1 million cars per year globally.
    Podders

Post by Podders Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:10 am

little chicken wrote:A Dacia Sandero may be more appropriate, particularly as if you have doubts.

Yes, you might be right. There is the assurance of Renault and a well-established local dealer.

I am retired and live in rural Northumberland. I would really be taking a chance on an unproven car from a brand with no local presence.
    Jobbybob
    Jobbybob

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2013-12-24

Post by Jobbybob Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:42 am

Where was the story about the MG6 possibly being discontinued?
    littlechicken
    littlechicken

Post by littlechicken Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:43 am

I would not say the MG3 is unproven as it has been on sale in china for 2 years with several thousand being sold each month with no issues.

But you may find more dealers for Dacia and as the engine is an ancient Renault unit (the same as fitted to the Proton Savvy iirc?) any one who is used to old Renaults can service it
    littlechicken
    littlechicken

Post by littlechicken Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:46 am

Jobbybob, I think this is someone just assuming this the MG6 has been discontinued, MG dealers are reporting increased interest in the MG6.

patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:50 am

Podders wrote:Yes, you might be right. There is the assurance of Renault and a well-established local dealer.

I am retired and live in rural Northumberland. I would really be taking a chance on an unproven car from a brand with no local presence.

See above re: "unproven" - I know a number of people around the world who drive MG3s and they appear generally to have proven reliable over the last couple of years. We have waited ages to get ours, but the flip side is that the cars should be robust.

As for the manufacturer, it's huge and very financially strong. SAIC's plans here are under its own control, while brands we know very well (Chrysler, Alfa (both Fiat), Subaru, Mitsubishi, and especially Peugeot/ Citroën) are likelier to have decisions taken for them.

There will be a dealer in Newcastle in the first half of this year. A deal has been trailed with a network of car service centres (something like Halfords).

However, if you want something that Joe round the corner will be familiar with from his old Renaults (why we might go for a Rover), then a Dacia might fit the bill better. Or a used something else - but no warranty...
    Podders

Post by Podders Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:56 am

Jobbybob wrote:Where was the story about the MG6 possibly being discontinued?

There was a very lengthy discussion about it on another MG forum I found. Sorry I don't have a link.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:12 am

Podders wrote:
    Jobbybob wrote:Where was the story about the MG6 possibly being discontinued?

There was a very lengthy discussion about it on another MG forum I found. Sorry I don't have a link.
    Not part of any plan that MG Motor have mentioned TBH. Can't really see it TBH.

This is the year that MG should be heading for the continental EU - they have long experience of trying to break through here with a single model and I doubt they wish to repeat the experience!

I also read that there will be three MGs in the BTCC this year, all MG6s...
    snifferdog1

Post by snifferdog1 Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:12 am

Theres another double page spread concerning the MG6 and its BTCC competition in Autocar today.
    Podders

Post by Podders Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:38 am

I haven't seen a single MG 6. How long were they selling them for?
    snifferdog1

Post by snifferdog1 Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:47 am

They were released in April '11. They have been a slow seller but I think there are around 1-2000 on the UK roads.

I was just thinking about this thread and was going to say that the best advice we could give is to suggest that you test drive both the '3 and and the Sandero (and obviously any other cars that you are interested in) and make up your own mind. If you are a driving enthusiast then I suspect that the '3 will sell itself to you.

We can only advise you that SAIC owned MG have no plans to retire from the UK market (despite what some internet naysayers will try to make out) and that most here believe they will only grow from now on.

Let us know if you do make any decisions anyway.
    Podders

Post by Podders Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:33 am

snifferdog1 wrote:MG have no plans to retire from the UK market (despite what some internet naysayers will try to make out)

I picked up Autocar today and was very stuck by the comment "If the 3 fails, the brand's future selling cars in the UK looks bleak". Much as I like the idea of one, it would be smarter to wait and see, I think.
    snifferdog1

Post by snifferdog1 Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:42 am

I know, I saw that and was annoyed to see that comment. You are an example of how that type of journalism can deter buyers that are already sceptical.

You can take some positives from this excerpt of a recent MG press release though -

Since the first customer collection in November 2013, 210 MG3s have already been registered in the UK, and sales look to increase rapidly in 2014 with nearly 1,000 orders waiting to be filled. Staff at the Birmingham plant forwent their Christmas celebrations to complete as many orders as possible before the Christmas break. Over 90% of MG3 orders so far consist of the top two trim lines,1 with 40% of customers opting to style their cars from the selection of over one million personalisation options available.

patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:47 am

Podders wrote:I haven't seen a single MG 6. How long were they selling them for?

The MG6 is on sale as above, and has been so since April 2011.

I picked up Autocar today and was very stuck by the comment "If the 3 fails, the brand's future selling cars in the UK looks bleak". Much as I like the idea of one, it would be smarter to wait and see, I think.

I don't think the comment is particularly helpful given that the MG3 sold 210, largely in November and December, and made up over 40% of the admittedly low annual sales of 504. Given the establishment of MG in the UK is in the hands of SAIC who seem to intend it to be a success, as opposed to Peugeot whose future direction could be determined by anyone, I see no particular reason not to go with MG.

As for waiting, depends when you need it. Chevrolet are certainly leaving us and they are still selling cars.
    Jobbybob
    Jobbybob

Number of posts : 44
    Registration date : 2013-12-24

Post by Jobbybob Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:00 pm

210 cars between 40 dealers is something like 5 cars per dealer in two months and wouldn't each dealer have taken a demo? That doesn't seem that strong a performance but considering the order bank, is there something else behind that?

The MG3 seems a lot nicer than a Sandero or even something like a Skoda Fabia to me so I'd choose it over one of those.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:29 pm

Jobbybob wrote:210 cars between 40 dealers is something like 5 cars per dealer in two months and wouldn't each dealer have taken a demo? That doesn't seem that strong a performance  but considering the order bank, is there something else behind that?

The MG3 seems a lot nicer than a Sandero or even something like a Skoda Fabia to me so I'd choose it over one of those.
    If you haven't actually seen inside one for real then make sure you do; there is a reason that 1% of all cars sold in Chile are MG3s!
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:41 pm

Jobbybob wrote:210 cars between 40 dealers is something like 5 cars per dealer in two months and wouldn't each dealer have taken a demo? That doesn't seem that strong a performance  but considering the order bank, is there something else behind that?

Sales levels are bouncing up but they could still be a lot higher.

There seem to have been supply issues - white ones and leather have been in big demand!
    Roverman

Number of posts : 203
    Registration date : 2010-02-12

Post by Roverman Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:36 pm

I know of just two dealers that have sold 30+each.

Unfortunately there's a bit of a waiting list at the moment so the amount of registered models doesn't equate to the amount of cars sold.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:56 am

Dealer John Newey said 750 orders had been taken. Many will now be for the new reg in March.

Thinking about alternatives to MG3, it's all about what you want. For me, MG3's appearance, performance, handling and equipment levels mean the Dacia is not an alternative.
    littlechicken
    littlechicken

Post by littlechicken Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:13 am

I think that Podders has found the thread on .org that was started by Mr Musgrove suggesting MG SHOULD discontinue the 6 rather than it has been discontinued.

patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:21 am

littlechicken wrote:I think that Podders has found the thread on .org that was started by Mr Musgrove suggesting MG SHOULD discontinue the 6 rather than it has been discontinued.

I see! If you presume the answer is "no" you can save yourself 35 pages... it has a lot of potential, MG Motor just have to realise it with more dealers, then more marketing...
    Podders

Post by Podders Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:01 am

If they're not selling any, surely it's effectively discontinued?
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:12 am

Podders wrote:If they're not selling any, surely it's effectively discontinued?
    Again, the starting position "they're not selling any" is wrong. Approx 294 MG6s were registered in 2013 - that is more than "none"(!). The MG6 is still being sold in Britain - I know of at least one January sale.
    snifferdog1

Post by snifferdog1 Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:14 am

They are selling them, just in small (but slowly increasing) numbers. They are advertising it weekly with double page advert in the moorings press. They have 3 cars in the BTCC challenging for a title and they have recently refreshed the brochure.
    snifferdog1

Post by snifferdog1 Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:15 am

snifferdog1 wrote:They are selling them, just in small (but slowly increasing) numbers. They are advertising it weekly with double page advert in the motoring press. They have 3 cars in the BTCC challenging for a title and they have recently refreshed the brochure.

It is far from discontinued.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:52 am

snifferdog1 wrote:They are selling them, just in small (but slowly increasing) numbers. They are advertising it weekly with double page advert in the moorings press. They have 3 cars in the BTCC challenging for a title and they have recently refreshed the brochure.
    yes, apparently you can't enter a model in the BTCC which you can't buy in Britain (unless it is due to be introduced soon).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 10:39 pm