MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Morris Motors
snifferdog1
6 posters

We've ordered one......

snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

We've ordered one...... Empty We've ordered one......

Post by snifferdog1 Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:33 am

I thought Id write a summary of my recent experiences with MG3s that have lead to me and the Mrs finally smashing the piggy bank.

We started of by looking at Citroen C3/DS3, VW Polo and also possibly a Pug 108 - the other half has a salary sacrifice scheme at work which includes all of the other cars (not the MG3) but these are all 3 year lease deals where you hand the car back at the end. In the end the lure of paying less per month but over 5 years to own the car was too much.

After visits to several dealerships and meeting some of the least charismatic sales people ever (Nuneaton Citroen) we ended up at Bishop and Bishop in Leicester. The dealership is not up and running yet as it is new but they have a few cars to look at and some very helpful salesmen, overall we were impressed with the car and the dealership so booked a test drive for the next Sunday (today). By this point my girlfriend had decided that the MG3 was a better looking car and with better build quality than she had expected. We went straight from B+B to a Citroen dealership in Leicester where she finally decided that the C3 looked decidedly boring after viewing an MG3 and that the DS3 was not worth the extra thousands of pounds.

We've ordered one...... MGpoundBishop_zps0f46f6c2

Over the last week we had been slowly narrowing down the choice of cars until we were left with just the MG3, it really does add up as on ownership proposition. We decided to take a trip to the sales centre in Longbridge to have a look at the two colours that we both agreed were our favourites (Yellow and White).

Arriving at the sales centre for the first time in around a year and a half I was surprised at how different it was, there was an atmosphere, there were cars everywhere awaiting delivery, the showroom was buzzing, it was very different and very impressive. The MGCC were there too which obviously added to the occasion but there were also several other couples there - one asking about a part-ex valuation on a Streetwise and one lad with his dad that went straight out on a test drive.

We've ordered one...... Longgy_zps777846fe

We've ordered one...... ZRLong_zps5a95d8dd

We had a good look around the cars before being approached by Dave who offered us a test drive straight away.

My Mrs went first - she was impressed with the comfort and how easy it was to drive. I sat in the back and was impressed with the amount of room and noise insulation but noticed that it was quite bumpy, the suspension was firmer than I was expecting (but this is a good thing). I was becoming concerned though as it just didnt feel fast at all.

Then it was my go. It felt good, easy to find a good driving position, good brake feel and nice light pedals - thoroughly more modern than the ZR that had taken us over there. I decided to give it a few more revs than the other half had - the engine does get noisy as mentioned in most reviews and it still doesnt feel that quick. The thing is - it is actually going quick! Weird. As I pulled away from a set of lights and put my foot to the floor I was waiting for the performance to start when I glanced at the speedo and realised that I was nearly doing 60 in second gear! Fair play to Dave for not saying anything or even using the invisible brake pedal. I took the next couple of corners, on a windy section of test route, with more vigour - the MG3 felt planted - very impressed. As I got more miles under my belt I was really starting to gel with the car and was becoming more impressed. The performance never felt overly scintillating but there is enough there if youre willing to work for it and there is definitely enough there for my Mrs who rarely drives over 2K revs.

Anyway, I feel I have rambled on too much so I'll finish off by saying that we were both suitably impressed to sign on the dotted line for a 3Form Sport in Yellow for delivery in April!

Thanks to Dave at the Sales Centre who was very helpful, low pressure and easily the best salesman that we have met over the last two weeks.

We've ordered one...... MG3Long2_zpsea2b54a5

We've ordered one...... MG3Yellow_zpsb68ab4e5
    Morris Motors

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

We've ordered one...... Empty Re: We've ordered one......

Post by Morris Motors Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:24 am

Jolly good - any sticker packs or options? Also, did you notice any 'over-revving' that people mention?

Interesting hearing your feedback of the atmosphere at the sales centre - this is where the MG3 will really help in that footfall will increase, creating more of a buzz.
    snifferdog1

Post by snifferdog1 Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:30 am

The over-revving did happen but its a very simple case of taking your foot fully off the clutch pedal before accelerating again to stop it happening. The positioning of the pedals meant that it was very easy to adapt within minutes. I dont think that will be an issue that bothers me or the Mrs too much.

The only negative thing that really stuck out in my mind was the gap in between 2nd and 3rd gear - I was revving the nuts off it - changed up to third and felt like Id gotta start all over again.

As someone has said elsewhere - once the MG3 is wound up to speed it really is very nippy and its quite easy to keep it on the boil. It also drives really fluidly - not requiring the constant steering inputs/corrections of the ZR.

In fact, I cant wait to get it and have a proper play (if the Mrs lets me haha)!!
    snifferdog1

Post by snifferdog1 Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:26 pm

Well my Mrs was thinking of ringing Longbridge the other day - to see if the car is ready yet haha, I had to remind her that it had only been 5 days.

Shes getting excited I think.
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:06 am

snifferdog1 wrote:Well my Mrs was thinking of ringing Longbridge the other day - to see if the car is ready yet haha, I had to remind her that it had only been 5 days.

Shes getting excited I think.
    Has she ever applied for a job at Grolsch? Wink
    Brouwer

Number of posts : 22
    Registration date : 2014-03-10

Post by Brouwer Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:08 am

Pat, have you ordered one?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:27 am

Brouwer wrote:Pat, have you ordered one?
    I suspect Pat P. prefers German beers to ones from your country... Neutral
    Brouwer

Post by Brouwer Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:39 pm

Have you bought one, Windy?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:43 pm

Brouwer wrote:Have you bought one, Windy?
    No.

What are you doing in Madrid? You won't be able to buy one there for quite a while yet!
    snifferdog1

Post by snifferdog1 Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:13 am

Whats going on here?
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:10 pm

Snifferdog - have you bought one? Wink
    Brouwer

Post by Brouwer Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm just trying to understand if those people who are the loudest fans of the new MGs are gong to spend their own money on one? It's telling if they're not.
    snifferdog1

Post by snifferdog1 Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:25 pm

Brouwer wrote:I'm just trying to understand if those people who are the loudest fans of the new MGs are gong to spend their own money on one? It's telling if they're not.

I was one of the loudest fans for the last few years, I've only just bought one.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:56 am

snifferdog1 wrote:
    Brouwer wrote:I'm just trying to understand if those people who are the loudest fans of the new MGs are gong to spend their own money on one? It's telling if they're not.

I was one of the loudest fans for the last few years, I've only just bought one.

I wont be going to Brands Hatch this weekend but will still be watching on ITV4 all day Sunday and supporting the three MGs racing in the BTCC.   Being a fan doesn't mean that I and all other fans must go to all the races or must by a BTCC edition MG6!  I quite like those BTCC edition MG6s but there are several reasons for not buying one, for a start they would have to raise the roof by 1" so my head fits in!   I will probably go and watch a live BTCC race later in the year when they come to a track a bit closer to home though, as I did last year.

I think you are asking the wrong question Brouwer if you actually want to understand something.  I could ask you why you haven't bought one since you spend most of your time in the UK, but I don't think the answer would tell me anything interesting.
    Brouwer

Post by Brouwer Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:34 pm

Windy wrote:I think you are asking the wrong question Brouwer if you actually want to understand something.  I could ask you why you haven't bought one since you spend most of your time in the UK, but I don't think the answer would tell me anything interesting.

Happy to answer that. Highly inconsistent customer reports of quality, few and poor dealers (in the UK), non-existent dealers/service/support (in the EU), no real choice in engines/transmissions, and breathtaking depreciation are just a few.

Bear in mind that I bought several brand new MGs and Rovers over many years, right up to the end, so I have more credibility as a potential MG customer than those who act as unpaid evangelists for a brand they have no intention of making a financial commitment to themselves.
    littlechicken
    littlechicken

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2010-12-21

Post by littlechicken Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:11 am

Hi Brouwer, (or should that be Rover) I think the reasons you have given for not ordering a new MG are reasonable.

At least when you ordered your new MG Rover cars you knew you would be getting a consistent build quality - consistently poor, having so many dealers, at least you could take a trip and each time you broke down on that journey you had a dealer pretty close by to get you going.

The depreciation on the MG6 is just a bit of heritage, the MGR range always shed value like a bad dose of dandruff.

The engine choice lets see, the Rover 75 had the choice of a 1.8, a 2.5 and diesel, the only choice the MG6 dont have is a V6?

I conceed no auto transmission, but at least the diesel has a 6 speed.

I am not like you I never owned MGR products and I can understand that you getting all doey eyed over your favourite brand  Very Happy 

Take care, and the next time I am Eindhoven, I will let you know and you can look at my cars, otherwise see you at Pride of Longbridge! Very Happy 
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:28 am

Brouwer wrote:...
    Highly inconsistent customer reports of quality,
    I can't remember a single person reporting a breakdown with either the MG3 or MG6, except Jeremy Clarkson who simply failed to work out how to operate the starter!  Overall customer reports of quality seem very good, of course there have been some issues but even Toyota have issues - look at the number of recalls they have had recently.

few and poor dealers (in the UK),
    You will always have good and bad dealers, and it's not that easy to get good ones when sales numbers are likely to be low, we just have to accept that, but there are a number of very good and enthusiastic MG dealers and the number of dealers has expanded significantly this year.

non-existent dealers/service/support (in the EU),
    No surprise there, they don't currently sell in the EU other than in the UK.

no real choice in engines/transmissions,
    The engines and transmissions they do provide are the ones best suited to the majority,  they will never cater for all minorities but more choices are on the way with the new NLE engine factory now operating and the new SGE engine factory being completed. Automatics will arrive with the new engines.

and breathtaking depreciation are just a few.
    I don't see that, the predicted depreciation for the MG3 is very good.  The MG6 has had an issue with a relatively huge number of 1 year old hire cars being sold off but now they are almost all in private hands the used prices are correcting themselves, someone selling an MG6 in a years time is likely to find their losses are a lot less than if they had bought much of the competition.

Bear in mind that I bought several brand new MGs and Rovers over many years, right up to the end, so I have more credibility as a potential MG customer than those who act as unpaid evangelists for a brand they have no intention of making a financial commitment to themselves.

I'm not sure what your credibility as a potential customer has got to do with anything, you seem to be suggesting that it puts you above everybody else in some way?   I do happen to own an MG that was unregistered when I bought it but I don't use that fact to make out that I am superior in some way!

As far as this website is concerned, all MG enthusiasts are welcome even if they have zero potential as a customer for a brand new MG, as long as they behave themselves and don't upset anyone.
    littlechicken
    littlechicken

Number of posts : 74
    Registration date : 2010-12-21

Post by littlechicken Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:40 am

I think it is far to say you can like a particular car and not own one.

We have been reccomending the MG3 to friends and family since Sept last year, but did initialy feel that it did not meet our requirements - the boot being too small for push chairs etc , however, we decided to purchase one in the end, as most journeys are 2 up so the rear seats could be folded if more space was required.

The MG6 would always be used when going out as a family and that has more than sufficent space. Very Happy 
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:42 pm

Windy wrote:As far as this website is concerned, all MG enthusiasts are welcome even if they have zero potential as a customer for a brand new MG, as long as they behave themselves and don't upset anyone.
    Hear, hear. It's been that way since Day One and long may it remain so.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content