MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Roewe enters Chile using the MG brand

Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Roewe enters Chile using the MG brand Empty Roewe enters Chile using the MG brand

Post by Windy Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:33 am

Roewe enters Chile using the MG brand

SAIC recently announced the entry of Roewe into the Latin American car market, due to brand awareness in the local market the first batch of Roewe cars will be sold under the MG brand name.

First sales will be in Chile with the Roewe 550 and Roewe 750 medium sized and luxury saloon cars using the names MG55 and MG75, later this year they will be joined by the MG 3SW hatchback and MG TF mid-engine sports car.

Reference: http://news.car136.com/22/20090116/66824_p1.html
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Roewe enters Chile using the MG brand Empty Re: Roewe enters Chile using the MG brand

Post by patpending Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:16 am

Windy wrote:... later this year they will be joined by the MG 3SW hatchback and MG TF mid-engine sports car....
    that will be interesting, first LHD TF outside China and first MG3 anywhere outside China.
    Why Chile? Isn't London-listed minerals giant Antofagasta Chilean-based? Is it the business connections established through the supply of raw materials to China, I wonder?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Roewe enters Chile using the MG brand Empty Re: Roewe enters Chile using the MG brand

Post by Windy Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:25 am

Roewe enters Chile using the MG brand Advmg1300ch

Chile and MG have a long history,
    Chile and China also have a good trading history.

See AROnline for more info.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:00 am

Goodness me! given a certain current debate about

a)whether MGs were ever made outside Abingdon and

b) whether saloons are proper MGs

(as Martin Brundle says - "Well, it's a fairly short debate, Murray")

what a link!

three factories all making the same van... then one making MG 1300s too...and in fibreglass!

I like it here already...

To octagenarians, Abingdon, the factory home of the MG for half a
    century, is synonymous with the marque. Few, if any, have heard of
    another production centre at Arica, a seaport on the Pacific coast of
    Chile on the edge of the Atacama Desert, 1600 km north of the capital,
    Santiago, and 50km from the Peruvian border

I didn't know that! you'll be telling me there are Leyland lorries in Turkey next! Wink
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:14 pm

patpending wrote:then one making MG 1300s too...and in fibreglass!
    It's a nice ending to that story: "the fibreglass MGs brought no dishonour to the respected octagonal badge and did not lessen the prestige of the famous marque. The ‘car for enthusiasts’ is still treasured by those in Chile." - That is why the Roewes will be MGs!
    streetrover
    streetrover

Number of posts : 24
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Post by streetrover Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:48 am

Given what came first, it's really the MG's that are also sold in some places as Roewe!
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:52 am

NB the cars are on sale as MG 550 and MG 750 (not 55 /75)

And here's the result - the MG550 looks rather nice here:

Roewe enters Chile using the MG brand Banner_mg

I see there are six dealers and twelve servicing garages.

Also that to try to make the Chilean señorita's heart beat faster with
    only chocolate for Valentine's Day is to go about things the Rongwei -
    you need an MG550!

MG marks the Day of Love with a special demonstration of MG models in the exclusive
    gastronomic center of the commune of Vitacura.

The prestigious brand of English origin celebrated the Valentine's Day on Borde Rio
    (means "River's Edge" - don't know the "Chilean" for "Bank" but it appears to
    be "Santander" Wink
    ) a place chosen by many couples to spend this day full of romance and
    elegance. In this context, the modern classic luxury saloons, MG 550 and MG 750 were one of
    the main attractions of the day on Saturday.

At the time, apart from receiving a gift of chocolates, the lovers were to experience the
    sensation of driving an MG, and to get to know the many equipment options offered on the
    modern MG that deliver driver and passengers comfort, convenience, safety and elegance.

The biggest fans could sign up to test drive the 550 and the 750. This part of the day proved
    a great success and far exceeded initial expectations. Those who signed up also qualified for
    the opportunity to win a portable DVD player. The winner was Patricia Elias Pradel, who we think
    qualifies for our special Valentine's Day award for experiencing all the magic and elegance that MG
    offers in Chile.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mgmotors.cl%2Fframes%2Fnoticias.asp&sl=es&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

NB Watch the autotranslate - MG turns into GM... Doh
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Wed May 27, 2009 10:34 am

Santiago Times

New cars sales in Chile dropped by 51.25 percent from January to April of this year compared to the same period in 2008, according to figures from the National Automobile Association of Chile (ANAC). A total of 41,144 cars were sold so far this year, the lowest since 2003 when only 35,853 cars were sold in the same period.
    But the automobile industry is optimistic, claiming that the worse is over. April has been 2009’s best month so far, with 11,684 units sold - 320 units more than in March.
    “We are beginning to notice a slight sales recovery in the car industry, which hit rock bottom because of the economic crisis over the first two months of the year,” said Iván Silva, adviser at the ANAC directory. Roberto Delgado, manager of Subaru Chile, affirmed these figures. “We can see some signs of recovery that seem like a positive trend to us,” he said.
    SOURCES: EL MERCURIO
    By Marine Comte-Trotet (editor@santiagotimes.cl)

Not auspicious times for the new MGs... Sad

Sales of MGs in April: 23

http://es.autoblog.com/2009/05/23/ventas-enero-abril-2009-chile/

Anyone know the other months?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed May 27, 2009 11:19 am

patpending wrote:Not auspicious times for the new MGs... Sad

Well thats only three less than the UK!

And despite having a country 2700 miles long, their population is only 17 million so thats more per person than the UK.

From the total figures, it looks like most people there don't buy cars though!

It will be interesting to see the trend in MG sales over the next few months...
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Wed May 27, 2009 3:10 pm

Windy wrote:
    patpending wrote:Not auspicious times for the new MGs... Sad

Well thats only three less than the UK!

And despite having a country 2700 miles long, their population is only 17 million so thats more per person than the UK.

From the total figures, it looks like most people there don't buy cars though!

It will be interesting to see the trend in MG sales over the next few months...
    that's 23 550s and 750s then.

Only 26 MGs a month in the UK, though. It'll take over a year just to sell the rest of the LE500s at that rate, let alone any 85s or 135s... atchoo pig
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed May 27, 2009 3:57 pm

Just had a look through the figures. Chevy has quite a lead over everything else! Are the Chevys pick up trucks or something?

Interesting what comes behind MG, two important Chinese rivals and several famous brand names:
    MG 24
    DFM 23
    Great Wall 20
    Jaguar 19
    Alfa Romeo 18
    Porsche 16
    HAFEI 6
    SEAT 2
    Ferrari 1

Looks like it's a hard market to get established in, even Honda has been out sold by Samsung (Are they electronic cars scratch )

I found the MG figures for:

January 2009 -3
    February 2009 - 5

Not managed to find March yet, but so far this year it is a nice exponential curve to the graph!
    Except the figure for 2008 of 33 suggests it probably isn't - we need more numbers.

Patpending will enjoy this document: http://www.anac.cl/Database/adjuntos%5C3491cifras%20ANAC%20A%C3%B1o%20a%20feb2009-V6.pdf
    ZTsteve
    ZTsteve

Number of posts : 111
    Registration date : 2009-02-19

Post by ZTsteve Thu May 28, 2009 1:35 am

patpending wrote:... atchoo pig

Bless you (oink)
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Thu May 28, 2009 2:31 am

Windy wrote:Just had a look through the figures. Chevy has quite a lead over everything else! Are the Chevys pick up trucks or something?
    the figures are split (slide 6) between passenger (3,154 Jan-Feb - 20% of the total for the category), SUV (121 - 4%) and commercial (697 - 15.4%)

So the big sales are "passenger" - doubtless pickup trucks would be in there.

Interesting what comes behind MG, two important Chinese rivals and several famous brand names:
    MG 24
    DFM 23
    Great Wall 20
    Jaguar 19
    Alfa Romeo 18
    Porsche 16
    HAFEI 6
    SEAT 2
    Ferrari 1

Looks like it's a hard market to get established in, even Honda has been out sold by Samsung (Are they electronic cars scratch )

I found the MG figures for:

January 2009 -3
    February 2009 - 5

Not managed to find March yet, but so far this year it is a nice exponential curve to the graph!
    Except the figure for 2008 of 33 suggests it probably isn't - we need more numbers.

Patpending will enjoy this document: http://www.anac.cl/Database/adjuntos%5C3491cifras%20ANAC%20A%C3%B1o%20a%20feb2009-V6.pdf
    mmm lovely slideshow! Wink pig

I googled for ANAC yesterday, but missed this. TBH the combination of MG and ".cl" gives many spurious "hits" from the world of drugs (i.e. legal pharmaceutical companies and research). Wink

I see (slide 3) that the sales of actual cars in Chile are on a rollercoaster and that 2008 was a second peak since 1997. I hope SAIC haven't been caught out by the end of the post-2001 boom - 2008 sales were nearly three times higher than 2001's... Shocked
    streetrover
    streetrover

Post by streetrover Thu May 28, 2009 9:47 am

found the MG figures for:

January 2009 -3
    February 2009 - 5

Is this a case of customers taking old Mg's back or have I missed something tongue
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Thu May 28, 2009 1:29 pm

streetrover wrote:
    found the MG figures for:

January 2009 -3
    February 2009 - 5

Is this a case of customers taking old Mg's back or have I missed something tongue
    looks like they must have a scrappage scheme in Chile - but they forgot the bit about having to buy a new one!
    Doh

BTW those must be really old MGs... Laughing
    streetrover
    streetrover

Post by streetrover Fri May 29, 2009 5:56 am

The badge actually says Morris Garages they're so old. They must have been so large no wonder MG Chile went for micro-badges for its Roewe 550.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Fri May 29, 2009 8:59 am

streetrover wrote:The badge actually says Morris Garages they're so old. They must have been so large no wonder MG Chile went for micro-badges for its Roewe 550.
    It's funny, I used to live in the Morris Garages in Oxford and I have since learnt that that was William Morris only and well before Cecil Kimber's time. There was that 1930s court case where the clever barrister proved that Morris Garages and MG were two separate things! Laughing

So an MG badged "Morris Garages" is a bit like finding a Roman scroll dated 50BC... Laughing
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:43 am

I was looking for more information about 550 sales and found this:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chile-tuerca.com%2Fforo%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D40%26t%3D5918%26sid%3Dfcff4fbffc09a477715cec2e83bdaec4&sl=es&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

The models for the Chinese market will be available in the country in January 2010. Then proceed to its international release. This, of course, I do not mean that the thousands of MG owners in Spain to recover a technical assistance network of the brand, but the MG6 model will be sold (t)here.

There is a whole "Chinese Powaa" Chilean forum here:

http://www.chile-tuerca.com/foro/viewforum.php?f=40
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:00 am

streetrover wrote:The badge actually says Morris Garages they're so old. They must have been so large no wonder MG Chile went for micro-badges for its Roewe 550.
    Not sure that makes much sense scratch
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:58 pm

My new Chilean friends who I met today have pointed me at October's sales figures:

http://es.autoblog.com/2009/11/21/ventas-octubre-2009-chile/

I see MG have sold 28 cars in the month, already nearly half as many as FIAT, and comparing well with 5 in February, but much the same as the 23 in April, the other month we singled out...

(I said 48 first which was wrong!)

Last edited by patpending on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:14 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Correcting the numbers)
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:10 pm

patpending wrote:My new Chilean friends who I met today have pointed me at October's sales figures:

http://es.autoblog.com/2009/11/21/ventas-octubre-2009-chile/

I see MG have sold 48 cars in the month, already half as many as FIAT, and comparing well with 5 in February...
    Appears to say 28, but a good find, I spotted the link you posted earlier so hello to any visitors from Chile Thumbs Up

I now have 2009 figures:
    January 3
    February 5
    April 24
    July 20
    October 28

So a few gaps to fill!

Last edited by Windy on Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:15 pm

Windy wrote:Appears to say 28
    you're right, post corrected...
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:59 am

NB What happened to the original idea to export MG3SW and TF?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:19 am