MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Goodwood Moving Motor Show

docjunior2008
    docjunior2008

Number of posts : 142
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Goodwood Moving Motor Show Empty Goodwood Moving Motor Show

Post by docjunior2008 Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:09 am

Just wondering if anyone managed to get tickets from MG Motor for the Goodwood Moving Motor Show?

Unfortunately, I won some, but won't be able to attend. Planning on framing my tickets, because at the end of the day, im proud that I got the opportunity to go.

Doc
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Goodwood Moving Motor Show Empty Re: Goodwood Moving Motor Show

Post by Windy Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:34 am

Good idea to frame them, I suggest a large frame so that you can add to the collection when you do get a chance to go.

Not sure if anyone has won tickets but I do know that some people have tickets, expect a few posts and pictures later in the week! ...
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:54 pm

Windy wrote:Good idea to frame them, I suggest a large frame so that you can add to the collection when you do get a chance to go.

Not sure if anyone has won tickets but I do know that some people have tickets, expect a few posts and pictures later in the week! ...
    clearly from looking at threads on other sites, there are quite a lot of MG fans with tickets...
    docjunior2008
    docjunior2008

Post by docjunior2008 Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:06 pm

I so wish I could have gone. Would have loved to see the MG6 in the flesh. But suppose, I'll have to wait and see it at my local dealer when production starts.

When are they due in dealers?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:09 pm

docjunior2008 wrote:I so wish I could have gone. Would have loved to see the MG6 in the flesh. But suppose, I'll have to wait and see it at my local dealer when production starts.

They are being launched late this year, it is uncertain at the moment if your dealer will actually have one this year but if not then probably January.

I guess it makes a bit of sense to tie the launch in with the date of the Guangzhou auto show as the publicity it will provide is probably just as useful in China as it is here and there will no doubt be other news from the show to make the publicity here more impressive. That is just my guess though.

Once they are in production then maybe a factory visit will be possible.

docjunior2008
    docjunior2008

Post by docjunior2008 Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:40 pm

Windy wrote:
    docjunior2008 wrote:I so wish I could have gone. Would have loved to see the MG6 in the flesh. But suppose, I'll have to wait and see it at my local dealer when production starts.

They are being launched late this year, it is uncertain at the moment if your dealer will actually have one this year but if not then probably January.

I guess it makes a bit of sense to tie the launch in with the date of the Guangzhou auto show as the publicity it will provide is probably just as useful in China as it is here and there will no doubt be other news from the show to make the publicity here more impressive. That is just my guess though.

Once they are in production then maybe a factory visit will be possible.

I'd love to do a factory tour of Longbridge. I wrote to the Chief Executive of MG a while back and was thinking of writing another letter, enquiring about Factory tours. Do you think that would be worthwhile?

Doc
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:04 pm

docjunior2008 wrote:I'd love to do a factory tour of Longbridge. I wrote to the Chief Executive of MG a while back and was thinking of writing another letter, enquiring about Factory tours. Do you think that would be worthwhile?

Doc
    If you want to see the lines operating then there is no point at the moment, much better to wait until there are a reasonable number of MG6s coming off the assembly lines. I dont think there will be any tours until the lines are operating anyway so the time to ask is just after the car is launched. The Goodwood event is only a preview, with a still partly Chinese specification car.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:22 pm

Well PatPending turned up at Goodwood with his wacky race car:

Goodwood Moving Motor Show Goodwood%202010%20150

But despite it sounding rather good, he swapped it for an MG6:

Goodwood Moving Motor Show Goodwood%202010%20186

Then lined up on the start line for the Goodwood hill climb:

Goodwood Moving Motor Show Goodwood%202010%20184

Goodwood Moving Motor Show Goodwood%202010%20177

And off up the hill:

Goodwood Moving Motor Show Goodwood%202010%20185

I would have some pictures of the MG6 on Display but the stand was a little too crowded!:
    Goodwood Moving Motor Show Goodwood%202010%20040

Is the MG6 an MG? - Most definitely yes...

Does it have a big enough engine? - Well not for some enthusiasts of MG-Rover products, 12 turbochargers in one Mini?!!!!

Goodwood Moving Motor Show Goodwood%202010%20042

Was it fast enough? Well not as fast as this Austin-Rover car:

Goodwood Moving Motor Show Goodwood%202010%20094

I Hope the pictures fit on your monitor! If not then try these links:

It was a good day...
    docjunior2008
    docjunior2008

Post by docjunior2008 Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:02 pm

Great pics. Really excited to see an MG 6 in the flesh. Hopefully, by the they have started production and sent cars to dealers, I will have passed my driving test, so should be able to test drive one Smile

Also, what was the finish like in the car. Did you manage to test that?

Doc
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:56 am

docjunior2008 wrote:Also, what was the finish like in the car. Did you manage to test that?

1) we were doing at least 30 (maybe 40) as we passed the finish line so the MG6 got there even with me driving!

2) The car seems really well-made. The doors shut with a thud and not a clank!
    CaptainP

Post by CaptainP Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:28 am

I managed to attend yesterday and got to take the MG6 GT up the hill. A big thanks to the guys on the MG stand that managed to sort that out for me.

It was a great experience and I was impressed by how composed the car was under cornering as it is nowhere near as hardcore as my MG ZS. On the start line I was told I could go as fast as I wanted on the proviso that we got to the end of the test in one piece. Needless to say I drove it as hard as I could get away with and, although not being the fastest car in the world, it made good progress (shame the same couldn't be said for the Volvo that ended up in the hay bales on Molecombe corner!!).

I was impressed by the build quality and, despite having been the press car at MG Live, there were no squeaks or rattles and everything, including the reversing camera, worked as expected. I don't think its a car that will cause Audi or BMW any sleep but it was, in my opinion, on a par with a Focus or Astra. I think that the car will let MG build a decent market share, especially seeing as the top spec GT TSE that I drove only costs £19k. Speaking to the guy on the test drive it sounds like MG are also working on a 2.0l turbo unit with 200+ bhp so I would imagine a more hardcore version would be on the cards in the next couple of years (MG6-R maybe?).

With regards to mentions of factory tours, I though the MG6 was being built in China and not at Longbridge?
    Dynamo
    Dynamo

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2011-04-21

Post by Dynamo Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:41 am

The MG6 is designed at Longbridge, the parts are made and some assembly is done in China, then the parts are shipped to Longbridge to put the whole thing together and finished. Its reckoned that about 20% of the work is done in Longbridge, and the other 80% in China.

I really hope they do bring out a 2litre 200+bhp MG6 in the near future. It will deffo be on my shopping list if they do.
    Dynamo
    Dynamo

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2011-04-21

Post by Dynamo Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:43 am

docjunior2008 wrote:Great pics. Really excited to see an MG 6 in the flesh.

Keep your eyes peeled around the Teesside area. There's a red one flying about Wink lol.
    Jerry Zedman
    Jerry Zedman

Number of posts : 41
    Registration date : 2011-05-13

Post by Jerry Zedman Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:14 pm

I know of a red one in the Lake District area, an orange one in the South-East to go with a white one and a black one (which has toured up to and around Birmingham and Leicester and back again the last couple of days)!
    docjunior2008
    docjunior2008

Post by docjunior2008 Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:05 pm

Dynamo wrote:
    docjunior2008 wrote:Great pics. Really excited to see an MG 6 in the flesh.

Keep your eyes peeled around the Teesside area. There's a red one flying about Wink lol.

Oh really? Any idea which part? Smile

Been to Winchester this week and took a pic of the one outside of Martin's......looks really good actually!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:28 pm