MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

MG aims to make an impact in the fleet sector

Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

MG aims to make an impact in the fleet sector  Empty MG aims to make an impact in the fleet sector

Post by Windy Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:20 am

MG aims to make an impact in the fleet sector

A best-of-both-worlds compromise is set to give an iconic British sports car firm the chance to win rich pickings in the fleet sector.

Fastback and four-door models from MG will undercut C-sector pacesetters like the Focus and Golf in price when they go on sale in spring and summer but will have significantly greater interior space.

“Starting at under £15,000, these five-seat cars promise to win a lot of attention from business motorists who enjoy driving. I’m confident we’ll make an impact with vehicles that represent a great blend of driving dynamics and affordability,” said sales and marketing director Guy Jones.

Speaking as the saloon version of the MG6 was revealed at the Birmingham factory where it will soon be assembled alongside its Fastback sister, he claimed the four-door car would be unique in its sector.

“German premium brands build sporting saloons, but no-one makes anything like the MG6 – we’ll be setting the pace with a product that offers prestige motoring that’s affordable.

“We thought only 15 per cent of prospective buyers would opt for the saloon version, but research suggests it is likely to account for 40 per cent of the model mix,” he told Fleet News.

As both MG6 models will be launched with 1.8-litre turbocharged petrol engines, discussions with fleets will not start until next year, when a 1.9-litre turbodiesel power unit becomes available.

“Performance details are still to be announced, but it will be fully competitive in terms of fuel economy, emissions and operating costs,” he said.

Higher equipment levels that include satellite navigation, parking sensors and a reversing camera are likely to make the saloon up to £1,000 more costly than the Fastback, depending on trim level but Fleet News understands that the top-specification version will cost around £20,000.

Eighty per cent built in China for final assembly at the former Rover factory in Longbridge, the Fastback will go on sale in May, followed by the saloon in July. Volume of 2,000 in the first 12 months is expected to double with the availability of diesel. A C-sector car based on the Zero concept on sale at the end of next year and an SUV model also figures in the firm’s five-year plan.

Source: http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2011/2/17/mg-aims-to-make-an-impact-in-the-fleet-sector/38916/
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

MG aims to make an impact in the fleet sector  Empty Re: MG aims to make an impact in the fleet sector

Post by patpending Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:46 pm

40% of sales to the saloon!
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

MG aims to make an impact in the fleet sector  Empty Re: MG aims to make an impact in the fleet sector

Post by Windy Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:59 pm

patpending wrote:40% of sales to the saloon!
    Obviously they will be eating in to the BMW/Audi/Jaguar market rather than the Ford Focus they were originally aiming at! Laughing
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Windy wrote:
    Obviously they will be eating in to the BMW/Audi/Jaguar market rather than the Ford Focus they were originally aiming at! Laughing

Is there a Ford Focus saloon? I think I've seen one, the size of a Cortina it is...
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:10 pm

patpending wrote:
    Windy wrote:

Is there a Ford Focus saloon? I think I've seen one, the size of a Cortina it is...
    I've seen ONE too. I'm quite sure that the saloons don't make up 40%, or even 15%, of the Focus sales!
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:16 am

Windy wrote:
    patpending wrote:
    Windy wrote:

I've seen ONE too. I'm quite sure that the saloons don't make up 40%, or even 15%, of the Focus sales!
    saw one yesterday.

Remember the launch of the Sierra and resistance to the hatchback? How things have changed! Laughing
    docjunior2008
    docjunior2008

Number of posts : 142
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by docjunior2008 Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:37 am

patpending wrote:
    Windy wrote:
    patpending wrote:
    Windy wrote:

saw one yesterday.

Remember the launch of the Sierra and resistance to the hatchback? How things have changed! Laughing

I actually quite like the Focus Saloon Smile I think that the MG6 will beat it in sales though

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:35 am