MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
preetoo
patpending
Windy
7 posters

MG ZS to make its return at the Shanghai Auto Show

Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

MG ZS to make its return at the Shanghai Auto Show Empty MG ZS to make its return at the Shanghai Auto Show

Post by Windy Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:20 am

When I read this story I had to check it's publication date, no,it wasn't April 1st!

MG ZS to make its return at the Shanghai Auto Show 116224394
    MG5 model

MG expose details of the MG5 which will debut at the Shaghai Auto Show

Following the NAC/SAIC cooperation agreement SAIC have insisted that the Roewe and MG brands will take seperate routes, they have embarked on the product differentiation path with MG positiond more in the sports area. This is particularly the case with the emergence of the MG5 which vividly illustrates the trend.

Earlier rumors suggesed that because of the cooperation agreement with the Nanjing Auomobile Coorporation, the Roewe 550 platform would be shared with the MG5 and suggested the original MG5 project would be stranded. Recently, the news agency Sohu in some news from official sources refuted these allegations, MG5 as an independently developed platform is making steady progress.

The MG5 is based on the Rover 45 and MG ZS and is a four door sedan model, the original price was in the range £9995 to £16,200. These models were based on the Rover 400 with an improvement to the design, the Rover 400 came from technology more familiar in the Honda Civic. Early in 2005, NAC MG had the intention of using these designs but on investigation found that Honda had made available its designs for the manufacture of the Rover 45 and MG ZS including production equipment and design drawings. In mid 2005, Honda removed its own production equipment from the Rover Longbridge factory and burned some of the key drawinmgs, drawings which had a crucial role in the production of the Rover 45 and MG Zs This is an important reason explaining the slow progress in developing the MG5.

MG ZS to make its return at the Shanghai Auto Show 116224395

Nanjing has carried out further research and development on the 5 series platform and rebuilt the missing sections. According to the relevant personnel, the R&D continued at the Nanjing base after the merger and SAIC will share the basic platform of the MG5 in its Roewe 350 hatchback model and sedan model, there will also be sports and station wagon versions. At present the production lines for these cars are being set up in the Nanjing Pukou Phase II base.

The new MG5 will have a selection of three engines, a 1.5L, 1.5T and a 1.5CVT, the transmissions are devided into a six speed manual and a continuously variable automatic box., it is also possible that it will share the 1.8 and 1.8T powertrain with the Roewe 550.

According to NAC plans, the MG5 will serve as a platform for their A class range of cars which will be first shown in the 2009 Shanghai Auto show where the Roewe 350 and MG6 with have a dual debut. pricing will range from 9 to 120,000 yuan.
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

MG ZS to make its return at the Shanghai Auto Show Empty Re: MG ZS to make its return at the Shanghai Auto Show

Post by patpending Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:05 am

I'm flabberghasted! Reverse-engineering the Civic-based ZS? affraid affraid albino albino

biggest scoop (i.e. reporting what www.auto.hexun.com has already posted - thanks guys) here yet!

Nanjing has carried out further research and development on the 5 series platform and rebuilt the missing sections.
    here are arrows pointing at the places of interest to us all on the MG5...hope these and similar missing sections will soon be available to us all...

MG ZS to make its return at the Shanghai Auto Show Mg5ox3

so the MG5 will have little to do with the MG6 or the Roewe 550!

A "sedan"? Will it be the 4-door booted saloon and not the hatch? (which would be described as a "4-door" in Germany...)

What does this mean for the "Hagen/de la Haye" plan for Longbridge - make MG6 only, not MG5?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

MG ZS to make its return at the Shanghai Auto Show Empty Re: MG ZS to make its return at the Shanghai Auto Show

Post by Windy Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:58 am

patpending wrote:I'm flabberghasted! Reverse-engineering the Civic-based ZS? affraid affraid albino albino

biggest scoop (i.e. reporting what www.auto.hexun.com has already posted - thanks guys) here yet!

Nanjing has carried out further research and development on the 5 series platform and rebuilt the missing sections.
    here are arrows pointing at the places of interest to us all on the MG5...hope these and similar missing sections will soon be available to us all...

so the MG5 will have little to do with the MG6 or the Roewe 550!

A "sedan"? Will it be the 4-door booted saloon and not the hatch? (which would be described as a "4-door" in Germany...)

What does this mean for the "Hagen/de la Haye" plan for Longbridge - make MG6 only, not MG5?
    MG 5 / Roewe 350 definitely has a different platform to the MG6 / Roewe550.
    I think we need to wait and see how many doors it has!
    "plan for Longbridge - make MG6 only, not MG5?[" - well Longbridge does still have a 75 line, the ZS line is in China!

In China, April 1st is about to start!

Last edited by Windy on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:35 am

One piece I didn't translate, but now I've found another version thats easier to follow:
    "经由上汽确认,名爵的另外两款新车,包括一款类似于菲亚特 500的小型车,以及一款全新运动型汽车,用于替代现有TF跑车,届时TF系列可能推出历史舞台。"

"SAIC confirmed the addition of two new MG car models, including one similar to the Fiat 500 small car, as well as a new sports car. The sports car will replace the existing TF, it will probably take the historic TF series name."

An MG 1 series midget?
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:50 am

Windy wrote:..."SAIC confirmed the addition of two new MG car models, including one similar to the Fiat 500 small car...

An MG 1 series midget?
    a Western car (i.e made in Poland?) I reckon those two original photos marked "MG5" and the one with the arrows are the same car, taken last year at the latest.

I just found out that the Volvo 164 was allegedly inspired by the Wolseley version of the Westminster.

But we have to be thinking Hornet/Elf surely, or maybe Mitsuoka Ray...

MG ZS to make its return at the Shanghai Auto Show Ray201 MG ZS to make its return at the Shanghai Auto Show Ray202

As the site says:

http://www.mitsuoka.co.uk/models.php?model=ray2

Good old.懐かしきlandscape of the mind. "Retro" attracted by the spirit of
    the past era of nostalgia alone is not quite sure. We are really
    attracted to the "retro" is a more fundamental, something more
    universal麗しき.凛とand graceful as a flower, as the concept beyond the age
    to attract and keep people. The car Oka Akira "麗しき" to learn, "RAY /
    Ray" and the flowering名づけたhis car. WATARA clued-up jealousy over his
    style, and leave the name of a beautiful car can run.

and you can't argue with that... Wink
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:32 am

patpending wrote:As the site says:

You can't even argue with the auto-translation - it's not translated!
    preetoo
    preetoo

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by preetoo Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:49 am

Looks as if the NAC element of the new merged SAIC group seems intent in fully implementing its original product plan - if this is to be believed - and bring back the old ZS as the MG5. If this does go ahead, there's no way on earth we'll see it in Europe.

Of course, it could just be an April Fool. Let's hope so...
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:25 am

Windy wrote:
    patpending wrote:As the site says:

You can't even argue with the auto-translation - it's not translated!
    and that's lifted directly from the UK importer's site! Doh

TBH the English is no easier to follow than the Japanese...

preetoo wrote:Looks as if the NAC element of the new merged SAIC
    group seems intent in fully implementing its original product plan - if
    this is to be believed - and bring back the old ZS as the MG5. If this
    does go ahead, there's no way on earth we'll see it in Europe.

Of course, it could just be an April Fool. Let's hope so...
    just imagine MG Motor as the outpost of an empire where different samurai are battling for control of the Imperial Palace...I hope not...
    skyblueads
    skyblueads

Number of posts : 96
    Registration date : 2009-02-10

Post by skyblueads Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:44 am

I love my ZS, off all the cars I've owned, it's my favourite. However this is a backward step, surely? They'd be crucified by the press if they relaunched in Europe, and surely the Chinese will only put up with so much relaunched/rehashed British motors? I can understand the use of the platform, the ZS is a superb handling car, but other than that? Hmm I dunno. I wonder what Honda are making of all this?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:22 am

skyblueads wrote:I love my ZS, off all the cars I've owned, it's my favourite. However this is a backward step, surely? They'd be crucified by the press if they relaunched in Europe, and surely the Chinese will only put up with so much relaunched/rehashed British motors? I can understand the use of the platform, the ZS is a superb handling car, but other than that? Hmm I dunno. I wonder what Honda are making of all this?
    There is a gap in the range, the MG6 is almost as big as the MG7 and the MG3 is definitely a small car, they need a mid-range car and the ZS is just the right size.

I would hope they would do a major upgrade/replacement of all the interior and electronics and add an adjustable steering wheel etc but I can't see why they shouldn't re-use the basic platform. With the new range of Turbo NSE engines even the British press might give it a good reception at the right price.
    skyblueads
    skyblueads

Post by skyblueads Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:23 am

I don't disagree mate, I just think if it looks anything like the old ZS it will get slaughtered, regardless of how it drives.
    BurnleyRover
    BurnleyRover

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by BurnleyRover Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:16 am

I must admit that I'm confused with this MG5/ZS story. After all, the basics of the design are very old now and technology has moved on a pace - even just in the last four years since Longbridge closed. I'm therefore left sort of wondering if the car will be built in China for the domestic and Asian markets (after modifacations to suspension etc), and the European market will get the 550 (MG version.). I mean, I own a ZS and love it to bits but I recognise that as hansome as it certainly is, it's a bit too long in the tooth to bring back here. And the press will have an absolute field day.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:45 am

BurnleyRover wrote:I must admit that I'm confused with this MG5/ZS story. After all, the basics of the design are very old now and technology has moved on a pace - even just in the last four years since Longbridge closed. I'm therefore left sort of wondering if the car will be built in China for the domestic and Asian markets (after modifacations to suspension etc), and the European market will get the 550 (MG version.). I mean, I own a ZS and love it to bits but I recognise that as hansome as it certainly is, it's a bit too long in the tooth to bring back here. And the press will have an absolute field day.
    Although the story did appear genuine, I do have doubts about it due to the fact that there doesn't appear to be a production line either set up or being set up. I suspect the reality is that some parts of the ZS, such as the suspension, are to be used in the AP11 project which will produce cars that will not look like the ZS.

I don't recogise these AP11 parts though:

MG ZS to make its return at the Shanghai Auto Show 200941493230740
    Staff training - assembly of AP11 components @ Nanjing Pukou
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:11 am

MG ZS to make its return at the Shanghai Auto Show 200941493230740
    Staff training - assembly of AP11 components @ Nanjing Pukou[/quote]

Oh no! that standard lamp and that big blue Slinky have grabbed that bloke's hands! Wink
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:19 am

patpending wrote:
    Oh no! that standard lamp and that big blue Slinky have grabbed that bloke's hands! Wink
    study Well it is a hands on training course - learning through experience pirat
    BurnleyRover
    BurnleyRover

Post by BurnleyRover Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:04 pm

They aren't showing much respect for the pool table either - someone's nicked the pockets...

Last edited by BurnleyRover on Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:18 am

It's in the news again today - 2009 Shanghai Auto Show, Nanjing MG is about to debut New MG5

http://www.car136.com/2009autoshanghai/20090418/84601_p1.shtml

Same story from Sohu Auto as before.
    skyblueads
    skyblueads

Post by skyblueads Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:26 pm

So do we know if the new 5 will have the same bodywork as the original ZS or is it a reskin?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:58 pm

skyblueads wrote:So do we know if the new 5 will have the same bodywork as the original ZS or is it a reskin?
    We don't know that it is anything more than a story scratch

We find out on Monday...
    skyblueads
    skyblueads

Post by skyblueads Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:43 pm

Fair enough, I'm not very good at waiting! I hope it is a resking,despite my love for the ZS, it is an aging design, although anything other than the ultimate car for sale for shirt buttons, with instant production at Longbridge will have them whinging and tearing it to bits on ever other forum!
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:21 pm

skyblueads wrote:Fair enough, I'm not very good at waiting! I hope it is a resking,despite my love for the ZS, it is an aging design, although anything other than the ultimate car for sale for shirt buttons, with instant production at Longbridge will have them whinging and tearing it to bits on ever other forum!
    • Some forums still think that all proper MGs were built in Abington and they will never move on,
    • Some think that all proper MGs were built by MG-Rover and they will never move on either,
    • MG itself has moved on, future MG cars will be built under SAIC,
    • This time MG is going global, there is no place for Abingdon only or Longbridge only, although as we've seen in the Chile thread, it has gone global before.
    • That is why this forum exists - "For enthusiasts of modern and future MG cars."
    BurnleyRover
    BurnleyRover

Post by BurnleyRover Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:48 pm

Windy wrote:
    skyblueads wrote:Fair enough, I'm not very good at waiting! I hope it is a resking,despite my love for the ZS, it is an aging design, although anything other than the ultimate car for sale for shirt buttons, with instant production at Longbridge will have them whinging and tearing it to bits on ever other forum!

• That is why this forum exists - "For enthusiasts of modern and future MG cars."

ding dong Windy. I agree with that one
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:29 pm

skyblueads wrote:Fair enough, I'm not very good at waiting! I hope it is a reskin...
    if the MG5 resurfaces, I would bet it was not only a reskin, but also that it would have different mechanicals! Laughing
    docjunior2008
    docjunior2008

Number of posts : 142
    Registration date : 2009-04-05

Post by docjunior2008 Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:31 pm

I've seen a 2005 ZS+ in a dealer opposite where I work and I can't stop looking at it. Can't wait till I pass my test, cos its a car i would really likw to modify! Smile
    Doc
    preetoo
    preetoo

Post by preetoo Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Windy wrote:

• Some forums still think that all proper MGs were built in Abington and they will never move on,
    • Some think that all proper MGs were built by MG-Rover and they will never move on either,
    • MG itself has moved on, future MG cars will be built under SAIC,
    • This time MG is going global, there is no place for Abingdon only or Longbridge only, although as we've seen in the Chile thread, it has gone global before.

You've just summed that up beautifully! That's why this forum has a future and the others don't...
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:03 pm

preetoo wrote:
    You've just summed that up beautifully! That's why this forum has a future and the others don't...
    I think the others do, it's just that the future for most of them is to be stuck in the past!

Many people still enjoy their old Abingdon MGs and their forums will continue but you cant expect those forums to take much interest in an MG6 Fastback Coupe as most of their members have very little interest in it.

You might have expected mg-rover.org to have moved on, but in reality the same applies. Obvious from it's name really!
    preetoo
    preetoo

Post by preetoo Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:50 pm

You're very diplomatic Windy, and I respect that greatly. However, the seemingly relentless anti-Chinese spirit from a great many contributors in the other forum represents a major turn off for many MG enthusiasts who are looking forward with excitement to what SAIC is going to produce. That's why this forum, in my judgment, represents the best home for everyone who genuinely adores MG and wants to contribute positively to its future.
    skyblueads
    skyblueads

Post by skyblueads Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:45 am

Exactly, that's why I'm on here. I have no time for the constant negativity, why can't we have a balanced view?

As for the ZS, I love mine, it's a great car, but I think the time has passed for it, the chassis is, in my opinion, the only thing capable of competeing in the current market place.
    skyblueads
    skyblueads

Post by skyblueads Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:36 am

Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:27 pm

Yes, same words. Same description of a 6 speed CVT gearbox!

However it is longer than other versions I've seen, Chinese news sites do have a habit of cutting the end of stories! The second page goes on to explain that this is in fact the AP11 platform, as in my last image above. This may have the odd bit of ZS in it but I suspect the MG6 coupe more Rover 75 in it!

It will be built in Nanjing Pukou sharing the production lines with the MG3 and MG7, the production lines will be upgraded in July/August, the date for start of production seems set for February 28th 2010 by when the new 1.5T NSE engine should be available from Nanjing Pukou Phase II.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:55 am