MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

MG confirms two new models??

richardk
    richardk

Number of posts : 935
    Registration date : 2009-02-06

MG confirms two new models?? Empty MG confirms two new models??

Post by richardk Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:40 am

Article in Autocar

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/239078/

Shanghai Automotive Industry Corp (SAIC) has confirmed it will release two new MG models in the UK based on its Roewe 550 platform.

Both models will be based on a cut down version of the Rover 75 platform.

An MG spokesman confirmed that a four-door saloon and fiver-door hatchback were being developed, but declined to name a launch date.

The five-door hatchback will be badged as an MG6 and will be powered by a 1.6-litre petrol engine, available with automatic and manual gearboxes..

Both cars will first be sold by SAIC in China, with UK and Ireland set to follow. The spokesman said that both models may also be sold in other European markets.

MG currently has one model on sale in the UK, the TF. The company revealed that 129 TFs were sold last year.

Mark Tisshaw
    patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

MG confirms two new models?? Empty Re: MG confirms two new models??

Post by patpending Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:27 am

...the MG6 will be powered by a 1.6? I had heard of a 1.5T...
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:05 am

patpending wrote:...the MG6 will be powered by a 1.6? I had heard of a 1.5T...
    The 1.5T will be the first of the NSE Series engines (New Small Engine), the current 1.8T and 1.8 DVVT being the N Series engines.

According to Yang Junhu, MG general sales manager, the NSE Series will cover the range 1.3L to 1.6L with the 1.5 and 1.6 being most suitable for turbo versions.

The 1.5 Turbo is the first of the series to be scheduled, with first production engines early next year, a 1.6 DVVT would make sense as a follow up as the 1.5T is going to be a bit quick for an MG5 in the UK market (more power than a ZR160), a 1.6 DVVT MG5 (similar power to a ZR120) would make a lot of sense for the UK market.

The MG6, being a fairly large car would want a 1.8 or maybe the 1.5T.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:29 am

Windy wrote:The 1.5T will be the first of the NSE Series engines (New Small Engine), the current 1.8T and 1.8 DVVT being the N Series engines.

According to Yang Junhu, MG general sales manager, the NSE Series will cover the range 1.3L to 1.6L with the 1.5 and 1.6 being most suitable for turbo versions.

The 1.5 Turbo is the first of the series to be scheduled, with first production engines early next year, a 1.6 DVVT would make sense as a follow up as the 1.5T is going to be a bit quick for an MG5 in the UK market (more power than a ZR160), a 1.6 DVVT MG5 (similar power to a ZR120) would make a lot of sense for the UK market.

The MG6, being a fairly large car would want a 1.8 or maybe the 1.5T.
    interesting. The 1.5T makes me think of the 1.4 Golf GTi engine.

CO2 is going to be a real headline-grabber!

What is DVVT? I'm guessing not so much Driving Vavavoom Van Trailer and more Dazzlingly Variable Valve Technology...
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:07 am

patpending wrote:What is DVVT? I'm guessing not so much Driving Vavavoom Van Trailer and more Dazzlingly Variable Valve Technology...
    I think it stands for Dual Variable Valve Timing.

The old MG-Rover VVC engine was only variable on one of the two cams, the DVVT version is variable on both inlet and exhaust cams, however I think it is only the valve timing that is variable whereas the old VVC had both valve timing and valve lift variable.

The DVVT is a fuel efficient, environmently friendly engine rather than a performance engine like the VVC was. It's also a cheaper, less powerful, and more durable alternative to the turbo, fewer parts, less to wear out and less to go wrong. The performance isn't bad though, and definitely an improvement on a ZS120 engine.
    preetoo
    preetoo

Number of posts : 37
    Registration date : 2009-02-13

Post by preetoo Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:24 am

Seriously cannot wait for some official pics of the new cars. How long do we have to wait now?
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:30 am

preetoo wrote:Seriously cannot wait for some official pics of the new cars. How long do we have to wait now?

I suspect they are waiting for an upturn in the economy as there is no point launching a car if there are no buyers.

Frustrating though isn't it.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:03 pm

preetoo wrote:Seriously cannot wait for some official pics of the new cars. How long do we have to wait now?
    There are still plenty of press reports saying that the MG6 will be on show at the Shanghai Auto Show, the steel is being poured now:

MG confirms two new models?? 356ce421837eb68e92055f5db84733f8

The show starts on the 22nd, I doubt we will see anything until they start setting up the stand.

It appears that SAIC's main theme for the show is "Green" - hybrids and electric power. It's a bit early but maybe the new 1.5T NSE might make an appearence, if only in interviews.
    BurnleyRover
    BurnleyRover

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by BurnleyRover Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:35 am

Seriously, I can not wait for this car to be available. If it's built at Longbridge, I'll have one - I've had the money burning in my building society for about a year now (and it's not earning interest any more!) I know the pictures are only paintshop jobs but the more I see it and the more I hear about it, I want one. Come on SAIC please, at least announce that Longbridge is going to be re-tooled for 'certain' new models to keep the brand in the headlines - that will take around twelve months of press gossip - just in time for the economy to pick up after the General Election.
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:29 pm

BurnleyRover wrote:Seriously, I can not wait for this car to be available. If it's built at Longbridge, I'll have one - I've had the money burning in my building society for about a year now (and it's not earning interest any more!) I know the pictures are only paintshop jobs but the more I see it and the more I hear about it, I want one. Come on SAIC please, at least announce that Longbridge is going to be re-tooled for 'certain' new models to keep the brand in the headlines - that will take around twelve months of press gossip - just in time for the economy to pick up after the General Election.

Welcome! and we're all with you on that front! Except I spent my money on a FL2 - oops well it's MGs fault really!

Indeed if the 'downturn' (as the BBC call it) is showing some signs of optimism now then an upturn can't be that far away...pre production work needs to start now at Longbridge..not sacking the few remaining production staff
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:58 pm

richardk wrote:I spent my money on a FL2 - oops well it's MGs fault really!
    Shocked An Austin FL2 ?

MG confirms two new models?? Fx4fl2_02

PS Welcome BurnleyRover, good to see you here Smile
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:11 pm

Hello and welcome BurnleyRover!

BurnleyRover wrote:Seriously, I can not wait for this car to be available. If it's built at Longbridge, I'll have one ...
    I'm choosier than you - it has to fit in my garage! Wink
    BurnleyRover
    BurnleyRover

Number of posts : 8
    Registration date : 2009-04-14

Post by BurnleyRover Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks for the welcom Richard and Windy...
    The FL2 though - hmmmm. Are you both moonlighting after work?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 12:08 pm