MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

MGUK's Target Markets

patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

MGUK's Target Markets Empty MGUK's Target Markets

Post by patpending Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:52 am

I note that Mr. & Mrs. Tyler, Apple MG's customers and perhaps the first people in Britain to drive their own MG3 on the road, are a young married couple and therefore perhaps not the frenetic FUN-seeking ravers apparently targeted by the teaser ads.

Which makes me wonder again who MG3 adverts should be targeting and how, given whose pockets it is where the actual debit cards are nestling.

Could these be potential markets?

1a. Ravey Davey Gravy

MGUK's Target Markets Viz-78t

Likes: Performance, handling, graphics, phone attachment, DAB radio and steering wheel controls, purchase price, insurance.

Would like: more performance, more bling, three doors

His typical MG: ZR160 in 2013

How to get his attention: on-line and phone ads, TV ads during sport and on Dave and MTV, print: car mags? Loaded? Rallying, BTCC.

1b. Music Mandy

The female Davey:

MGUK's Target Markets 30431689_low
    Mandy likes music and pop culture as Davey does.

Likes: Space, colours, graphics, phone attachment, DAB radio and steering wheel controls, purchase price, insurance.

Would like: more space for fluffy toys, even more graphics, three doors

Her typical MG: ZR105 in 2013

How to get her attention: on-line and phone ads, TV ads during Coronation Street, Hollyoaks etc. and on MTV, print: Grazia, NME, pink tops.

2a. Tressy Trendy

MGUK's Target Markets 3230944-774853-woman-cartoon

Tressy is clearly far more stylish than Dave or Davina. She is more likely to know the words to songs by girl bands and she LOVES adverts for hair dye and deodorant.

Likes: Space, colours, graphics, phone attachment, DAB radio and steering wheel controls, purchase price, insurance. For Tressy the badge is very important but a Mini is just far too expensive.

Would like: more space for stylish accessoires, even more graphics, three doors

His typical MG: ZR105 in 2013

How to get her attention: on-line and phone ads, TV ads during Coronation Street, Hollyoaks etc. and on shopping and reality TV channels (whenever Garnier ads are on, i.e. nearly all the time), print: Grazia, Cosmopolitan, Blue Jeans, pink tops.

2b. Metrosexual Mark

A bloke who thinks that what he wears makes an important statement will carry that over to his car. And let's face it, a brand new MG3 trumpets "here is a bloke with style!" better than a four-year-old Vauxhall.

MGUK's Target Markets Simon_dee_1472016f

Likes:Looks, looks, look, graphics, looks, iPod dock, looks, shiny newness.

Would like: more stars to drive them, three doors

His typical MG: Sportscar in 2013

How to get his attention: on-line and phone ads, TV ads during fashion and "lives of the stars" programmes, print: GQ, grooming magazines

3. Sitcom Simon and Sylvia

MGUK's Target Markets 3_1348228080_dudes

(the picture was returned for "BBC3 Sitcom". No idea who it is (though Google suggests Edinburgh Fringe Festival regulars Pappy’s - Tom Parry, Matthew Crosby and Ben Clark) but it was exactly the look I wanted).

BBC3 Sitcom Guy and Gal are a little older. They may be married, they are certainly living together, but they work in the public sector or somewhere where they have no company car. This being 2013, every penny has to count for the mortgage, so they want a practical and different car that can go to Tesco's, drive up the M1 or take the curves on the B6278.

Likes: space, practicality, graphics, low cost of ownership (including purchase price, insurance and absolute depreciation), something a bit different.

Would like: more performance, lower CO2/VED, more general awareness of MG to be able to show off a bit to the in-laws.

Their typical MG: ZS in 2005

How to get their attention: No ads on BBC3 but there are on Dave and ITV3. On-line campaigns. In the press: car magazines and newspapers. Product placement. Rallying. BTCC.

4. Margo and Jerry

MGUK's Target Markets Acsbxniknocjbig

Jerry has a good job so Margo drives the company X5 during the day. Her days of parking half on the pavement on the zig-zag lines outside the school are past but she still needs to get to the nail salon. Jerry needs an inexpensive small car to drive to the station and to do the shopping with at weekends.

Likes: security, not immediately attractive to car thieves at the station, warms up quickly and will handle short runs without DPF etc. issues, practicality, low cost of ownership (including purchase price, insurance and absolute depreciation), something a bit different.

Would like: more general awareness of MG to be able to brag a bit other residents and work colleagues, stars driving them, space for a golf bag in the boot.

Their typical MG: MG 1300 in 1972, perhaps a sportscar.

How to get their attention: Pick TV, Yesterday, ITV3, ITV4. In the press: car magazines and newspapers (Telegraph, Guardian, Mail), professional journals. Golf tournament sponsorship.

5. Mr & Mrs Meldrew

MGUK's Target Markets Onefootinthegrave_1_396x222

Victor is retired now but that's no reason why he should allow the neighbours to see him with a Higher-dry - a Hoover-die - a car he can't pronounce. He is drawn to the brand MG just as Mrs Meldrew, who does most of the driving and holds the purse strings, wants an inexpensive runabout with a little something different with room for the Labrador and the grandchildren. She was drawn to the Renault Clio by this advert which spoke to grandmothers everywhere:

http://www.tvspots.tv/video/5704/

and fancies the graphics and colours on the 3, if she can order them somehow without Victor objecting.

Likes: low cost of ownership (including purchase price, insurance and absolute depreciation), something a bit different, PAS, aircon, safety, space, will cruise for hours on the middle lane of the motorway Wink

Would like: more cubby holes for grandchildren's sweets, an MG5-size model, better MPG, longer guarantee, wood and chrome, less blingy (no spoilers), combination of leather and reversing sensors (camera) with steel wheels, OE mudflaps, heated seats, dog guard, space for a golf bag in the boot.

Their typical MG: Parents' ZA Magnette, the sportscar Victor was always fixing when they were courting.

How to get their attention: ITV1, Channel 4, Yesterday, ITV3, ITV4. In the press: car magazines and newspapers (Telegraph, Guardian, Mail), SAGA Magazine, Radio Times. Golf tournament sponsorship.

6. Renault Clio Ad Rowena

Just because she identifies with supermodels does not mean she is one herself. She may have those years behind her now but she knows a stylish deal when she sees it.

Just as this advert for the Clio Sport spoke to women of all ages, the MG3 is most attractive for people who still like style but want practicality too.

MGUK's Target Markets Renaultcliowilliamswoman_zpsfcede8b5

Likes: low cost of ownership (including purchase price, insurance and absolute depreciation), something a bit different, PAS, aircon, safety, space, good to get to the shops.

Would like: more cubby holes for notes, better MPG, longer guarantee, wood and chrome, less blingy (no spoilers), combination of leather and reversing sensors (camera) with steel wheels, OE mudflaps, heated seats, cat box holder.

Her typical MG: MGB, she had one herself but, not being mechanical, had to sell it when a bulb went. (There is a bit of me in this one Wink).

How to get her attention: ITV1, Channel 4, ITV3, Pick TV, shopping channels. She has internet to research information from around the world and to watch videos of cats, so there. In the press:  Daily Mail, SAGA Magazine, Radio Times, Grazia, pink tops. Pet and health-centred magazines.

Last edited by patpending on Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:07 am; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : Two years on - added a new Ravey Davey Gravy, as the old one had become an actuary.)
    snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

MGUK's Target Markets Empty Re: MGUK's Target Markets

Post by snifferdog1 Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:11 am

Well I certainly fit into category 1!
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:47 am

snifferdog1 wrote:Well I certainly fit into category 1!
    There's no way of addressing them all at once, I don't think, unless how Ravey Davey Gravy is living now is how the others used to live/ wish they still could live (see VW adverts invoking a hippy lifestyle).

It's MG need at least two directions - fun AND practical. But not boring. Maybe like the brilliant "However you look at it, it's a great deal" ad that was never used for the bubble 200.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:44 am

Jerry drove a Volvo Estate, maybe updated to the latest every series?

What did Margo drive? I suspect she drove Jerrys.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:16 am

Windy wrote:Jerry drove a Volvo Estate, maybe updated to the latest every series?

What did Margo drive?   I suspect she drove Jerrys.
    You couldn't tell with a 145 - though I couldn't find a photo with both and the Volvo.

Here are Jerry, Tom and a goat.

MGUK's Target Markets I096708

In 2013, the successor to the 145 is the XC90, though the B*W X5 and the various Land and Range Rovers are far more popular.All of those cars are based on Land Rover technology! Wink

However, it would be unthinkable nowadays for a well-to-do family such as the Leadbetters not to have two cars (or three if there were older children) - one local councillor said recently that public transport here is so good that she could imagine families making do with just one car (as they did in the 70s!) Wink
    MG3 must target being car no.2 or no.3. MG6 could replace the SAABs which are frequently no.2 cars...

EDIT it's a 145 - also used in Survivors...

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_96708-Volvo-145-1972.html
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:44 am

Nice mud flaps, expensive car that, you don't get mud flaps like that on an MG6!
    Morris Motors

Number of posts : 446
    Registration date : 2012-08-10

Post by Morris Motors Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:55 am

Margot was seen in her own car in the final series - a metallic green VW Golf.

By the late 70s, the Margots and Jerrys of suburbia had deserted BL and they haven't ever come back....
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Morris Motors wrote:Margot was seen in her own car in the final series - a metallic green VW Golf.

By the late 70s, the Margots and Jerrys of suburbia had deserted BL and they haven't ever come back....
    Really? I can't remember the Golf. That's precisely the car the MG3 must aim to replace - the "bought-with-your-own-money" car that's a different marque from the main one.

TBH if I think back to when there were surviving Hillmans and Singers on the estate where I used to live, there were no Marinas or Allegros - the Fords and Vauxhalls were replaced with Renaults and Volkswagens. The Volkswagens were far better cars.

Now, there are no Rovers or MGs around, other than mine. I think the CityRover round the corner which was the only one and is now a total banger due to its age has gone...
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:08 pm

It was all down to Filmer Paradise telling the dealers that if they couldn't sell X number of cars, then BL didn't need them. So all those little dealers picked up Renault and Datsun franchises - and smaller dealers have more loyal customers.

My Grandmother had one of the first Golfs. My other Grandmother swapped a Mini for a Volvo. My dad went from Austin to Ford to Vauxhall and now Citroen.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:39 pm

I remember the shock of moving from a MkIII Cortina to a facelift MkI Passat - it was like exchanging a fridge for a Saturn V...
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:35 am

Categories updated with Ravina Davina Gravina, Tressy Trendy and Renault Twingo Williams Woman.

TBH as anyone who might want an MG3 should fall into one of these categories, I mean them all positively!
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:22 am

So which category is Laura in scratch 

MGUK's Target Markets 1383992_604150296294090_922444952_n
    Morris Motors

Post by Morris Motors Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:03 am

patpending wrote:
    Morris Motors wrote:Margot was seen in her own car in the final series - a metallic green VW Golf.

Really? I can't remember the Golf. That's precisely the car the MG3 must aim to replace - the "bought-with-your-own-money" car that's a different marque from the main one.
    Margot at 1min 43secs ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCP3JnX-jA0

I can't do screen shots.
    snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

Post by snifferdog1 Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:12 am

Windy wrote:So which category is Laura in scratch 

You seen that skirt?! Shes in category 1.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:21 am

snifferdog1 wrote:
    You seen that skirt?! Shes in category 1.
    Don't think they do one in Zebra stripes, maybe they should!

MGUK's Target Markets 8244468850_e97bc8a84e
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:41 am

Windy wrote:So which category is Laura in scratch 

Yes, she's Music Mandy but I mean that positively...

MGUK's Target Markets 30431689_low
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:48 am

Laura Biss 1/11/2013 (Facebook) wrote:Our national MG3 TV ad will appear from today on selected satellite channels, and on mainstream terrestrial and SKY channels from Monday. This weekend’s début, expected to reach the most viewers, is the ITV2 Sunday night family movie, Dragonheart. From next week the ad will appear in breaks on The X-Factor, Emmerdale, Coronation Street, Grand Designs, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, Celebrity Juice, Doc Martin and I'm a Celebrity. Let us know when/where you see it first. / Laura

The actual campaign is far more Guderian Blitzkrieg than I had expected - though I must admit I had to look up where ITV2 is (red button 6?? there never used to be anything there!), I never watch it and I never watch any of the soaps/ reality shows mentioned.

We will have to hope that all the target markets are watching these things together... and that going straight for Guderian's "don't dribble it, splat it!" approach is not the equivalent of sending the tanks on to Moscow when the petrol is in a shed in Cologne and the spare tank tracks are in a lock-up in Stuttgart...
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:17 pm

patpending wrote:

Margot at 1min 43secs ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCP3JnX-jA0

I can't do screen shots.

Get to the right place in the vid, pause it, maximise it, do a print screen, save the clipboard to e.g. mspaint.

MGUK's Target Markets Margoleadbettergoodlifevwvolkswagengolf_zps7ce3b537
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:23 pm

It appears that Young Victor Meldrew and Sitcom Sylvia are the main markets as in this article linked to by Ann MG Writer on .org and jobbybob here:

http://www.am-online.com/news/2014/3/13/how-mg-is-trying-to-make-an-89-year-old-brand-new-again/34606/

http://www.mguk.org/t1200-automotive-management-speak-to-sam-burton#8749

MG has narrowed down its ‘ideal’ customer to two key groups: 45- to 60-year-old men – the historical MG customer – and 30- to 45-year-old women.  

“The MG3 is a great proposition for a young driver – low insurance, cheap to buy, to run and easy to drive. But most don’t have the disposable income to buy their own new car, and it tends to be the parent who’s funding it. So we took the view that we’ll target the parent.”

And regarding the 30- to 45-year old woman, who’s probably got a young family, MG research is showing the car’s right for them because as, while it’s a small car, it can accommodate child seats, passengers and shopping.

Where this leaves partners Mrs Meldrew and Sitcom Simon is unclear.

For the third/fourth car market MG have to speak to Margo and Jerry!
    Brouwer

Number of posts : 22
    Registration date : 2014-03-10

Post by Brouwer Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:25 pm

From what I read elsewhere "Ann MG Writer" (Someone Knowles, apparently) knows next to nothing.
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Brouwer wrote:From what I read elsewhere "Ann MG Writer" (Someone Knowles, apparently) knows next to nothing.

You will be glad to realise, should you read those links, that your opinion on Ann MG Writer, however uninformed, is irrelevant anyway as nowhere does anyone link to content of his. Wink
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:14 am

Meanwhile, in 2016, MG is advertising and I completely failed to predict where.

I caught TalkSport by mistake on my new 3's DAB radio and there it was ("hello Jerry"?). I didn't even predict radio advertising.

And with a plethora of red button stations - one called something like Absolute Turbot(?) - I failed to predict which TV channels, either...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 8:26 am