MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Autobritannia: A Week with the MG 3Style VTi-Tech

patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Autobritannia: A Week with the MG 3Style VTi-Tech Empty Autobritannia: A Week with the MG 3Style VTi-Tech

Post by patpending Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:37 am

EDIT for new URL:
    http://autobritannia.net/2014/07/24/time-well-spent-mg3-3-style-vti-tech/

The MG3 has been a joy to have for a week with some favourable comments and discussion coming from local neighbours and strangers. One such informed local and MGB owner described it being a 21st century MG Metro without the rust – I`m inclined to agree. They both have the same cheeky chappie character, keen road manners, that special ability to put a broad smile on your face and of course a strong bond with the UK Longbridge site. It’s a really likeable little car with very few major vices and when you wring its neck, the level of smile per mile pound for pound finds the MG3 unique in the market place. Yes… there are a few rough edges if you look hard enough but at this price I think it all adds to the character. Can MG Motor UK gain some much needed credibility in the industry and from its critics? – well.. with the promise of a better dealer network and upcoming greener engines I`d like to think so – over to you MG!

(7/10)

(Michael Humble)

Last edited by patpending on Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Original URL disappeared)
    Podders

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2013-12-28

Autobritannia: A Week with the MG 3Style VTi-Tech Empty Re: Autobritannia: A Week with the MG 3Style VTi-Tech

Post by Podders Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:27 pm

Quite a volte-face for Humble, who wrote this memorably withering piece about MG UK:

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/blogs/blog-mg-motor-uk-ltd-throwing-down-the-swiss-gauntlet/

And was even less complimentary when they took him to task for it:

Mike Humble wrote:How dare MG Motor UK try to tell me how insensitive and damaging my blog regarding an unsatisfied customer last year. As far as MG sales and marketing are concerned, they can go to bloody hell in a handcart – they simply have no clue or idea where they are going or what their long term strategy is – a criminal shame for the few good men (and women) still employed at Longbridge! SAIC China – for gods sake do something and fast!
    snifferdog1

Number of posts : 240
    Registration date : 2012-12-05

Autobritannia: A Week with the MG 3Style VTi-Tech Empty Re: Autobritannia: A Week with the MG 3Style VTi-Tech

Post by snifferdog1 Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:56 am

Podders wrote:Quite a volte-face for Humble, who wrote this memorably withering piece about MG UK:

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/blogs/blog-mg-motor-uk-ltd-throwing-down-the-swiss-gauntlet/

And was even less complimentary when they took him to task for it:

Mike Humble wrote:How dare MG Motor UK try to tell me how insensitive and damaging my blog regarding an unsatisfied customer last year. As far as MG sales and marketing are concerned, they can go to bloody hell in a handcart – they simply have no clue or idea where they are going or what their long term strategy is – a criminal shame for the few good men (and women) still employed at Longbridge! SAIC China – for gods sake do something and fast!

Weird!

Whats that all about then? Is he on the pay-roll now?!
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:59 am

snifferdog1 wrote:
    Podders wrote:Quite a volte-face for Humble...

Whats that all about then? Is he on the pay-roll now?!
    There is no agenda on this site. I think we may also be sure there is no spare mazola for Mike.

People with a fervently-held belief may find the facts don't fit it and that attempting to maintain the agenda, however much they must have believed it, would tear them apart. I see this happening all the time. The wise have a "road to Damascus/Longbridge" moment. My guess is that this happened:

Autobritannia: A Week with the MG 3Style VTi-Tech Com-oceanhouse-media-1-10-ad-shot3

Not everyone is wise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DGFuHC75aY

Autobritannia: A Week with the MG 3Style VTi-Tech Indiana-jones-the-last-crusade-chalice

Autobritannia: A Week with the MG 3Style VTi-Tech Tumblr_m3bpydbjvc1qlar22o1_1280
    Podders

Number of posts : 25
    Registration date : 2013-12-28

Post by Podders Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:25 pm

What?
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:18 am

Apparently the cat got the previous version of the review so there is a new version up (I have deliberately selected the points for improvement for the summary - I think it is hard to disagree violently with them):

As a car though, it’s cute, stunning value and talented through the twists – a very likeable little pocket rocket.
    All MG need to do (and its not going to be an easy task) is to shrug off the negative image that some critics hold against the company. The dealer network needs to continue improving and more “in your face” confidence building adverts to hammer home the “back to stay message”. Address the poor bottom end power and add a splash of colour to the interior and you`ll have a car that’s really quite talented, superb value for money and damn good fun.

http://autobritannia.net/2014/07/24/time-well-spent-mg3-3-style-vti-tech/
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:01 am

patpending wrote:Apparently the cat got the previous version of the review so there is a new version up...
    Did he decide to bring it in line with what all the other journalists are saying?  Why?

Only 7 out of 10, let down by a 6 for "Economy", presumably fuel economy which I'm still not convinced is true at the price, and a 5 for "Interior Presentation" not matching the BMW he used as a benchmark.  Personally I think the interior is different to a BMW rather than inferior, I rather like it.

But with an 8 in 4 categories, a 9 for "Kerbside Appeal" and a 10 for "Value", having an "Interior Presentation" that matches a BMW must have a vastly higher importance than "Value"  Shocked It should be 8 out of 10.
    Mike Humble

Number of posts : 1
    Registration date : 2014-07-25

Post by Mike Humble Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:11 am

No road to Domestos moment whatsoever!

We ran a peice on ARO about a chap who had purchased a 6 and was sick to the back teeth of it and the dealer.

MGMUK rather than be concerned to be put directly in touch, took the attitude that we did wrong in reporting events.

I then recieved a phone call from an employee of MGMUK who was curt, arrogant and borderline insulting. They got sent away with a flea in their ear and I was angered at their missing of the point of the article and being more worried about another bad press rather than "okay lets try to placate this customer and put matters right"

There has been not so much a wind of change at MGMUK - more of a gentle breeze, and certain people have been moved around. The P.R is becoming more organised and the dealer contacts I have say the same. They are acting with more business accumen these days - but Rome wasn't built etc...

I still say that MORE needs to be changed within the culture of MG UK and they are dead in the water without public confidence behind them. I made a point of that in the review and also tried to review the car itself and NOT the company politics.
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Post by Windy Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:14 am

Mike Humble wrote:No road to Domestos moment whatsoever!

We ran a peice on ARO about a chap who had purchased a 6 and was sick to the back teeth of it and the dealer.

Welcome Mike  Smile 

Maybe it is time to balance things out a bit with a positive piece on an MG3 owner's experience? Of course there are some of them that have had poor experiences too but I get the impression that the majority of both MG3 and MG6 owners have had positive experiences. Auto Express didn't award MG Motor UK the prize for third best manufacturer because the majority of customers were unsatisfied! Due to ARO cheating with their dates, a Google search for recent MG Motor UK news/reviews still returns, near the top, your piece which due to it having so many negative comments sounds like it was written by an ex-MG Rover employee holding a grudge! Not saying it is inaccurate, just how it comes across.

patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:05 am

Mike Humble has revisited the car (October 2015) and would really like a better engine and better marketing.

You can't argue with this:

Have a really good look around in the marketplace for an apples for apples rival in terms of the same cost and equipment — there aint one and its that simple.

http://autobritannia.net/2015/10/30/re-visited-mg3-does-it-still-cut-the-mustard/

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 7:59 am