MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Lingang to Longbridge (MG Birmingham) Rally

patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Lingang to Longbridge (MG Birmingham) Rally Empty Lingang to Longbridge (MG Birmingham) Rally

Post by patpending Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:30 pm

Lingang to Longbridge (MG Birmingham) Rally 20100506fy0018

I see from MG Enthusiast that an intrepid band of drivers will be driving an MGA, an MGB, and four MGB GTs from the MG6 factory in Shanghai to Longbridge where they will have pictures taken with the MG6 also.

The route will include China, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Iran, and Switzerland. Speaking personally, I wouldn't want to go to Iran at the moment although a nation of Hillman Hunter drivers may have a lot in common with us!

The can be no ambiguity that the route will now start, not from Nanjing. but from the MG6 factory "in Nanhui". Is that another way of referring to Lingang?
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Number of posts : 3322
    Registration date : 2009-02-02

Lingang to Longbridge (MG Birmingham) Rally Empty Re: Lingang to Longbridge (MG Birmingham) Rally

Post by Windy Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:40 pm

patpending wrote:"in Nanhui". Is that another way of referring to Lingang?

Nanhui is a place you can find on the satnav Wink

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=shanghai&sll=53.566414,-4.042969&sspn=14.564329,31.508789&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Shanghai,+China&ll=31.026147,121.70635&spn=0.005121,0.007693&t=h&z=17

Given that all those cars have fairly low ground clearance I dont think I would fancy the first 3 countries either, nothing wrong with the last country though.
    patpending
    patpending

Lingang to Longbridge (MG Birmingham) Rally Empty Re: Lingang to Longbridge (MG Birmingham) Rally

Post by patpending Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:09 am

It's obviously near the factory - trying to work out where I was by panning out till I could find the sea reminded me of looking at Albert Park, Melbourne.

Is it exactly where the factory is?

Given that all those cars have fairly low ground clearance I dont think I would fancy the first 3 countries either, nothing wrong with the last country though.
    I found a site from the last country when "researching" Hanna-Barbera cartoons. The interrent proves that "people are people" and that the ordinary people who live there are just like us. However, I just fear it would be like going on a cruise to Somalia though - the political situation is really bad!
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Thu May 06, 2010 2:26 pm

They are on their way...

Lingang to Longbridge (MG Birmingham) Rally 001372d8a0620d4ae6f342

Lingang to Longbridge (MG Birmingham) Rally 20100506fy0018
    Windy
    Windy
    Admin

Post by Windy Thu May 06, 2010 3:12 pm

Australian open top classic cars drive the "Ancient Silk Road"

27 years ago, the 28-year-old Peter, the first time to China, he rode a bike from Guangzhou via Shanghai finally arrived in Beijing, were attracted to Chinese culture. 27 years later, Peter, his wife and 5 other couples, once again came to China in preparation for driving six classic cars, along the ancient Silk Road, experience along the country's cultural customs.

The morning of 4th May, emerged in Xi'an City Wall South 4 quaint cars, body color of old, has attracted the attention of many people in Xi'an. Peter said the team leader, team total of 6 vehicles, members of the six pairs of couples, there are two cars only at night to Xian, all of them from Australia, who are travel enthusiasts, the oldest 69 years old and the youngest is also 55 years old.

The long travel time for the preparation of 7 months, for which they purchased for the same old car - the British MG MGB GT old car, this produced in the 60s last century, the car has been 60 years ago, each vehicle cost about 25,000 Australian dollars (about 157,500 yuan).

Peter said: "As interest in Chinese culture, we will choose the starting point in China, the Silk Road route is basically the year, only to become the London terminal from Rome. Our purpose is to travel, experience different cultures States."

Printed on their car body through the national map, and produced the team's LOGO, which was written "ALONG THE SILKROAD" (along the Silk Road). The entire journey of about 25,000 km, plans to use 3 months to complete.

Peter said that their car by ship, on April 19 by the Australian operation to Tianjin, go through the immigration provisional license. Team starting from Tianjin to Beijing's Great Wall, Huangshan Mountain in Anhui Province, as well as the Three Gorges Dam. 3rd day, they came to the ancient city of Xi'an, the Drum Tower to enjoy the evening snack.

Peter planned to stay three days in Xi'an, debugging the vehicles, see Terra Cotta Warriors and Wild Goose Pagoda, on the 6th morning, starting from the clock tower, to continue their Asian and European travel.

To be continued...

Source: http://news.xinhuanet.com/world/2010-05/05/c_1275215.htm
    patpending
    patpending

Post by patpending Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:49 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:57 am