MGUK

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

How are the MG6 owners getting on?

richardk
    richardk

Number of posts : 935
    Registration date : 2009-02-06

How are the MG6 owners getting on? Empty How are the MG6 owners getting on?

Post by richardk Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:58 am

Well hopefully you've had another fine weather weekend with the new MG6s.....how you getting on..still grining???
    Dynamo
    Dynamo

Number of posts : 77
    Registration date : 2011-04-21

How are the MG6 owners getting on? Empty Re: How are the MG6 owners getting on?

Post by Dynamo Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:12 pm

I locked my keys in the car for the first, and hopefully last, time yesterday. I love the fact that you can open the boot without needing to press the general door release button. Unfortunately I put the keys down in the boot area while I was taking stuff out of it and then slammed the boot lid shut. Thats when I heard the other door locks click and I thought "Oh f***" lmao. Anyway, I just got the spare set out and opened the doors that way to get the keys back out. Very Happy
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:22 am

Dynamo wrote:I locked my keys in the car for the first, and hopefully last, time yesterday. I love the fact that you can open the boot without needing to press the general door release button. Unfortunately I put the keys down in the boot area while I was taking stuff out of it and then slammed the boot lid shut. Thats when I heard the other door locks click and I thought "Oh f***" lmao. Anyway, I just got the spare set out and opened the doors that way to get the keys back out. Very Happy

Good job that happened on the driveway then!

I remember the old K series used to 'ride up with wear' as Mr Humphries would say...is the MG6 engine like that...improves with each day?
    Dynamo
    Dynamo

Post by Dynamo Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:59 am

richardk wrote:

I remember the old K series used to 'ride up with wear' as Mr Humphries would say...is the MG6 engine like that...improves with each day?

It does seem a wee bit better than when I first bought it. Someone suggested that the engine is held back by the software for the first few hundred miles so it wears in better, but I don't know if there's any truth in that.
    MartinZT
    MartinZT

Number of posts : 39
    Registration date : 2009-11-17

Post by MartinZT Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:25 am

I've been away for a week and a half, so my wife was using ours around town. We drove to Yorkshire on Saturday and it seemed to be a bit quicker. However, this morning I filled up with Shell Vpower and took it down some country lanes this afternoon with 900 miles on the clock. I was hugely impressed! The acceleration especially in 2nd & 3rd as the revs rise from 2500rpm upwards is quite impressive with a sporty gruffness from the engine rather than some sterile, muted roar. The way the 6 just flies along the twisty back roads is quite amazing. Anyone that says they're too slow is probably into 1/4mile drag racing, which misses the point of MGs imho. MGs are about Safety Fast and carrying the speed through the corners rather than outright power in a straightline.
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:12 am

MartinZT wrote:I've been away for a week and a half, so my wife was using ours around town. We drove to Yorkshire on Saturday and it seemed to be a bit quicker. However, this morning I filled up with Shell Vpower and took it down some country lanes this afternoon with 900 miles on the clock. I was hugely impressed! The acceleration especially in 2nd & 3rd as the revs rise from 2500rpm upwards is quite impressive with a sporty gruffness from the engine rather than some sterile, muted roar. The way the 6 just flies along the twisty back roads is quite amazing. Anyone that says they're too slow is probably into 1/4mile drag racing, which misses the point of MGs imho. MGs are about Safety Fast and carrying the speed through the corners rather than outright power in a straightline.

Wow Martin..you must be music to MG UK's ears...you couldn't have a better review for an MG...reminds me so much of the enjoyment of dricing my 2.5v6 ZTT
    Dynamo
    Dynamo

Post by Dynamo Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:23 am

Which part of Yorkshire did you take it to Martin? I took mine through the twisties of the North Yorkshire Moors national park at the weekend to Goathland (otherwise known as Aidensfield if your a fan of Heartbeat) from Teesside. I often visit that part of the moors and my ZR was and now my MG6 is a joy to be behind the wheel of there.

BTW, I an currently running with a tank that was full of BP Ultimate which I assume is similar to Shells VPower fuel. Its supposed to give a bit of extra thrust, plus the fuel economy is supposed to be higher as well which should help to justify the higer price. I don't feel the car is any more powerful with it than it was with a tank full of Morrisons petrol from the previous fill, and my average MPG on the Vehicle Information Display screen hasn't changed from 33.6mpg and I'm down to about a third of a tank. I was hoping to at least see a difference there. I don't think I'll be bothering with these so called high performance fuels in future. It looks like its a waste of money.

As for the kick of acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear, I've felt that too, both with Ultimate in the tank and Morrisons weasle pee. Its a great feeling. Very Happy
    MartinZT
    MartinZT

Post by MartinZT Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:14 am

T'was Malham, Dynamo. The road from Gisburn to Hellifield is a brilliant run when traffic free, and the fact one can throw the car through the corners with out easing off from the national speed limit is quite impressive given its weight.

I don't rate BP's Ultimate and I have heard similar from others, whereas Shell uses a different formulation for its base fuel and I've used it in the TF and the ZT before that. I think it is too early to see a difference in the fuel economy, though. I am not sure, but if the MG6 has a knock sensor then there will be an advantage later on to using RON99 fuel, especially Shell, and it won't be so much the noticeable increase in power but rather the noticeable lack of sparkle at the top end when you go back to RON95.

Much to my wife's annoyance I won't use anything other than Shell, and I won't touch Tesco or Sainsbury's cheap stuff.

patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:27 am

isn't the whole point of Hellifield that you have to drive round there cos there are no trains? What a Face

MartinZT wrote:Much to my wife's annoyance I won't use anything other than Shell
    do you use the Shell points card? Have you saved enough for a spice rack yet? lol!

MartinZT
    MartinZT

Post by MartinZT Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:43 am

Yup, got the Shell card and I get money off-vouchers every month, usually around £5 off depending on how much fuel I bought the month before.

patpending
    patpending

Number of posts : 3005
    Registration date : 2009-02-05

Post by patpending Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:43 am

MartinZT wrote:Yup, got the Shell card and I get money off-vouchers every month, usually around £5 off depending on how much fuel I bought the month before.

I just got one as I am driving from Surrey to Leicestershire most weeks. However, just having got the card means I have missed out on five months' worth!
    richardk
    richardk

Post by richardk Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:51 am

MartinZT wrote:T'was Malham, Dynamo. The road from Gisburn to Hellifield is a brilliant run when traffic free, and the fact one can throw the car through the corners with out easing off from the national speed limit is quite impressive given its weight.

I don't rate BP's Ultimate and I have heard similar from others, whereas Shell uses a different formulation for its base fuel and I've used it in the TF and the ZT before that. I think it is too early to see a difference in the fuel economy, though. I am not sure, but if the MG6 has a knock sensor then there will be an advantage later on to using RON99 fuel, especially Shell, and it won't be so much the noticeable increase in power but rather the noticeable lack of sparkle at the top end when you go back to RON95.

Much to my wife's annoyance I won't use anything other than Shell, and I won't touch Tesco or Sainsbury's cheap stuff.

Hmm yes I think I've done some of that drive...in a Freelander auto as part of a land Rover experience at Skipton (thoroughly recomended)

I can see the MG6 is going to be my kinda drive...the test drive I had was stiffled by city traffic so taking one out onto the wilds of Yorkshire sounds fun but if you don't mind I'd sneak back into the Land Rover when the snow falls albino

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 8:33 pm